This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad attempt at a scam.

A "lovely" lady came into my restaurant today, and had a really bad attempt at a scam, that did get shot down.

She came in and had several bags of our caramel popcorn. She said she bought it for a get together, but, she said that it was greasy, and inedible. She also looked at all the bags we had here, and asked if we changed the recipe.

There was one huge flaw with her arguments - the bags were dated Best By March, 29th, which means it was made 2 months before that date - January 29th.

No, she didn't just buy it, because it wouldn't have been for sale past March 29th. She didn't get anything for it, at all.

The thing is, if she would have been honest with me - that she bought it and forgot about it, I would have gladly given her a replacement bag, just to be nice.

Since she was a dishonest, and a scammer - too bad, so sad.
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

I love it. Now please pass some caramel corn, preferably fresh and edible, so we can enjoy more stories.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Back in the day I had a job doing demos in grocery stores. One day I was at customer service waiting to get checked in and a guy comes up trying to return a 12 pack of Coke because it was expired...BY A COUPLE YEARS. The store manager came up and laughed in this guy's face because the story was so ridiculous. And come on, Coke is one of those products that doesn't stay on the shelf long enough in most stores to get expired.
      I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Most of our products use the European date format D/M/Y. Just to make things interesting, some Italian companies will use the American format without indicating so, and certain products will get an additional English-language label so you have both formats

It's only generally possible to tell which is which if one of the first two numbers is greater than 12, or there's a different lot on the shelf and you can compare the two (if you have two lots from Brand A with no English on the label, one dated 8/20/19 and the other 20/8/19, it's pretty clear what the expiration is). You'd be shocked how many people forget that there are only 12 months in the year (not just customers, a CW who helps me with product rotation is notorious for pulling entire batch runs that are clearly not expired...just because the 2 jars in front are).
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Our bags of popcorn do have the month spelled out so it said Best by March 29 2019.
          "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Why are so few people taught accountability anymore?

It's heartbreaking

Actually, it's sickening
            Last edited by YamiNoHime; 06-19-2019, 08:23 PM. Reason: Forgot a line
            My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

Questions

Quoth Trixie View Post
              Back in the day I had a job doing demos in grocery stores. One day I was at customer service waiting to get checked in and a guy comes up trying to return a 12 pack of Coke because it was expired...BY A COUPLE YEARS. The store manager came up and laughed in this guy's face because the story was so ridiculous. And come on, Coke is one of those products that doesn't stay on the shelf long enough in most stores to get expired.
              A) Does coke ever expire? Keep away from sunlight can it even good bad?

B) Just because it was so old, I bet there were buyers on E-Bay who would have paid good money for them.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                A) Does coke ever expire? Keep away from sunlight can it even good bad?
                Carbonated drinks in plastic containers can go flat over time. The carbonation seeps through the plastic. As for the canned drinks, most likely the flavor changes over time. I know that coke syrup used in making coke has an expiration date due to the flavor changing.

During WW2 the Coca-Cola plant in Germany could not get more syrup so they devised a way to extend the life of the syrup they had on hand. When that ran out they developed Fresca orange soda.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Sugar sodas have a shelf life of about 6 months before they start going south. Sadly, most sugar-free sodas expire in about 3 months, and don't age nearly as well as the sugar-based.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                    When that ran out they developed Fresca orange soda.
                    I believe it was actually Fanta.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanta
                    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                      I believe it was actually Fanta.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanta
                      Right. Well, they both start with an "F".
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Well, there are lots of things that start with "F"....
                        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

...like Flatulence...

*hey how often do l get to use that icon?
                          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Forty-four frantic French foreigners find fizzy Fanta floats frequently facilitate flatulence.
                            Last edited by nutraxfornerves; 06-23-2019, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Snicker. That's just overkill, now, c'mon!

Comment

Working...
                              X