This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And your point was....?

Actually I'm pretty sure I know what the point was, but B/G first, since I don't post often

I drive trucks for a local charity/thrift store. Well for the local area of a regional division of an international charity. Anyway we have these drop-off boxes where people who don't want a receipt can drop off donation anything 24/7.</BG>

Today I pull up to one of these boxes and there is a large TV on the ground. First off we no longer take TV's because of a change to our state's laws which would have us paying large fees to recycle it and larger fines if we straight dump it. Since CRT TV's aren't really selling anymore the company decided not to accept them any more.

Not too sucky in and of itself, but wait there's more! (Of course there is. This is Customers Suck.com) Ignorance, while sucky is legit and doesn't make the donator into a SD (my version of a SC). But it was raining today and last night and the weather reports have been calling for it the last couple of days.

Well I guess I can also forgive them that some also. After all I don't really see much TV anymore so I rely on the radio for my weather forecasts. Maybe they don't even do that much.

So I am about ready to forgive and forget when I go to pick up this thing (would have been real nice too, built in DVD and VHS players) when I noticed the one factor that took this from annoyance to full blown ready to kick SD arse.

The cord was cut off!

This sorry excuse for a human basically has flipped us the bird, stated the words that correspond and said, "I'm not going to pay any fees for getting rid of this thing. Here charity people you can do it!" Freaking moron!
    Last edited by CaptainThrifty; 05-03-2012, 01:52 AM. Reason: spelling corrections

Oh wow that really is sucky
    Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
    What's the difference?
    We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Why try to donate a TV that could never be used again by anyone else??? RIP OFF!

Comment

O_o

i mean i've donated crts etc before but... when the place in question was open and not in the rain. that's fucked up shit right there

Comment

I've seen where people have donated nice-looking furniture sets and left them sitting overnight in the rain. What's the point of donating if you're going to let something get ruined? And sadly, I've known people who proudly claim they donated broken electronics, because surely it's still worth something to somebody.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I can actually see donating broken electronics to like a trade school or something like that. It would give kids a chance to repair something or least go through the motions of repair something. But that is about the only charity I would think of.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
              I've seen where people have donated nice-looking furniture sets and left them sitting overnight in the rain. What's the point of donating if you're going to let something get ruined? And sadly, I've known people who proudly claim they donated broken electronics, because surely it's still worth something to somebody.
              mom said she once saw a woman being spoken to by our priest - on why her donation of shirts rags was unacceptable. iirc he said "the poor have dignity".

Comment

If you wouldn't wear/use it yourself*, don't donate it.

* wrong colour, size, or out of fashion notwithstanding; of course.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I believe the point was "Hey, free place to dump my crap!" I swear I can be out of my parking lot for an hour, come back and there will be several bags of trash and an old microwave sitting there!
                  "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Wow that does suck but, playing advocate: I have seen where I live people walking by electronics that have been left out for people to take removing the chords, and on one TV they broke the case took the copper and just left the tube and chassis sitting on the road where they found it...
                    Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
                    pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

Ah, CRTs. I've been volunteering in a local thrift store, and we would get them all the time, despite signs saying we won't take them. Soaked, cut cables, etc. Very annoying. Even had someone who had been turned down for donating / dumping it wait until the counter people were busy before just dropping it at the door and leaving.
                      My Backloggery page

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                        If you wouldn't wear/use it yourself*, don't donate it.

* wrong colour, size, or out of fashion notwithstanding; of course.
                        This, exactly. I have a co-worker who will not wear something if it gets the tiniest little stain on it, a tiny hole, fabric worn through on a cuff, or whatever. One time she was wearing a chenille top and noticed the nap had kind of worn through. "Oh, well, time to donate to the needy!" I said, uh, if you wouldn't wear it like that, why would they?
                        "Oh, the needy won't care."
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                          I said, uh, if you wouldn't wear it like that, why would they?
                          "Oh, the needy won't care."
                          Well I must admit it also depends on the charity. Sis likes to donate to a local church that accepts stained or worn clothing in addition to any household goods, appliances, etc. A lot of their donations go to people who are low income and who can't afford clothing or (unused) makeup or a toaster, etc. Without transportation, they can't travel to other food banks either (her small city has a terrible transit system). For their charity it works, for others not so much.

As for donating junk to thrift stores? If no one would buy it at a garage sale, why the hell would they pay money for something that's damaged in a thrift store?
                          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                            I believe the point was "Hey, free place to dump my crap!" I swear I can be out of my parking lot for an hour, come back and there will be several bags of trash and an old microwave sitting there!
                            Unfortunately, that's the mentality some people have. They don't want to deal with their own junk so they palm it off.

However, the thrift shop I work for does get some use out of certain types of stained/torn/worn clothing: T-shirts used to be cut along the seams to make large cleaning rags (bought by local industries -- when we still had local industries), and now a lot of this sort of thing goes into bags that are picked up for "recycling." Though to be perfectly honest, I've no idea what the "recycling" involves -- somebody told me that it ends up in carpeting which is why you so often see "100% unknown fibres" on many of today's carpets. No idea if this is true.

Comment

I have occasionally donated shoes that had at most a couple months wear left on them, but they were CSA grade 1 safety shoes. For someone who gets a job that requires safety shoes, but can't afford the price of new ones before they get their first paycheque, it could mean the difference between gainful employment and continued unemployment - just hope they have big feet.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X