This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because Productivity Is Overrated

I got an Amazon gift certificate for a birthday cake I made for someone today. I am looking very hard at Fallout 3 for PC. It intrigues me very much. Is it worth it? Did you enjoy it? I play a lot of Silent Hill/Resident Evil/Blanket-Type RPG games. I also hear this is by the guys who made Oblivion, which I did enjoy.

And please, no spoilers, and if you prefer the 360 version, it's kind of pointless to tell me how much more awesome that is as the only system I own is a Wii for shooting zombies with.
    Personally, I find cleavage very helpful. In a crime-fighting sense.

I've play some of the 360 version, and pretty much the only reason I don't own it is because I already bought Oblivion and I don't have money.

I think I just figured out what I'm buying with the money Mom gave me for Valentines day.

I'm never going to get any of my projects done now, am I?
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

*shrugs*

I have something I've had to do for three days, haven't done it yet.

I'm not particularly productive this week, but the hormones have taken over my body and issued their demands for Chocolate. I haven't given it up, so my productivity is still being held hostage.

Comment

I have Fallout 3 for PC, and I've quite enjoyed it. I wasn't fond of Oblivion, but this was really awesome. One thing to warn you of, this is not similar to Silent Hill/Resident Evil/ Survival Horror games (they're not RPGs ) in pretty much any respect. Your inventory's only limited by your cash and your strength, and that takes a lot of the tension out of any situation. Your experience with Oblivion will help though. This is a very open-ended game. If you like exploring, you should like this one. I also picked up the downloadable content for the game, "Operation Anchorage." It's not bad, and you get some fun toys from completing it, but it's not necessary, so probably give it a pass for now.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I know they aren't RPGs. I was just including them as a potential comparison because from what I've seen, Fallout is a lot closer to them thematically than, say, Secret of Evermore, Chrono Trigger, or even Oblivion, which looks like it shares some of the same mechanics but otherwise nothing else.

I never actually finished Oblivion because it's so fucking huge, and the main quest never held my interest enough to keep me from getting distracted by every abandoned mine shaft with a pretty face and a treasure horde. Hopefully the characters in Fallout 3 have a bit more personality than the memorable TAVERN ELF NUMBER 53 and CAPTAIN PICARD OF CYRODIIL.

Honestly, I wanted to get this one right away, but I made myself wait until any potential terrible game/save destroying bugs were ironed out. Learned that the hard way with Neverwinter Nights 2.

Comment

Quoth Cookiesaur View Post
            I never actually finished Oblivion because it's so fucking huge, and the main quest never held my interest enough to keep me from getting distracted by every abandoned mine shaft with a pretty face and a treasure horde.
            My Oblivion character is level 22 and I haven't even started the main quest.

Right now I'm downloading the updates for Fallout 3 because immediately after replying to this thread the first time I went out and bought myself a used copy.
            The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I know they aren't RPGs. I was just including them as a potential comparison because from what I've seen, Fallout is a lot closer to them thematically
              Not... really. Silent Hill is about the a person versus not only their environment but their inner turmoil as reflected in that environment. Resident Evil is about bioterrorism and society's fragility (if you wanna get really over-dramatic). Fallout 3 is about your quest to find your daddy.

If you're talking simply about ruined environments, even then, not really. SH is taking the familiar and twisting it to something dangerous (small town). RE is taking the familiar and removing the familiar from it (taking the people out of a city, for instance). FO is taking the familiar and breaking it (the ruins of Washington, DC).

I'm not saying any of them are bad games, I'm just trying to make sure you're not expecting something the game isn't. Themes, setting, playstyle are all different. Excellent, but different.
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Yeah, I wasn't even analyzing it that much. I just meant "darker".

Hopefully my computer can handle this one without throwing up all over itself. SystemRequirementsLab says I'm good to go.

Comment

I love Fallout 3. It's one of the better games out there right now. The hybrid of shooter and RPG gives it some unique elements, but your not stuck reading and rereading the manual to figure things out.
                  I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Housemate got Fallout 3 on the PC; its very pretty and look like good fun (he spent a long time on it till he bought fear 2)
                    [ i can't remember the name of the company that made it now] made it as close to the previous games as possible, especially with combat; you can either for first person shootery or go for the AP points system thing. the morality system is supposedly like oblivion (but i don't know my self)

all i have to add is; beware of the patches; the last one erased housemate's save game he wasn't a happy bunny
                    sorry for my horrendous spelling; English is my first language, and I'm not dyslexic. I'm just shite at spelling

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                      I have Fallout 3 for PC, and I've quite enjoyed it. I wasn't fond of Oblivion, but this was really awesome. One thing to warn you of, this is not similar to Silent Hill/Resident Evil/ Survival Horror games (they're not RPGs ) in pretty much any respect. Your inventory's only limited by your cash and your strength, and that takes a lot of the tension out of any situation. Your experience with Oblivion will help though. This is a very open-ended game. If you like exploring, you should like this one. I also picked up the downloadable content for the game, "Operation Anchorage." It's not bad, and you get some fun toys from completing it, but it's not necessary, so probably give it a pass for now.

Broomjockey's review hits it right on the head. The only thing I might disagree with him on - and this is more a matter of playing preference - is his comment about the inventory system taking a lot of tension out of the game.

Bethesda has done a great job about creating a very dark story with lots of background and a huge area to explore, populated by all sorts of nasties ranging from supersized cockroaches to mutants that a 30 feet tall. Not knowing what you're going to run into whenever you enter a building or go on a quest certainly spices things up, and there are many scenarios that you'll find yourself that can't necessarily be negotiated using a huge bankroll or massive arsenal.

[Broomjockey: In case you weren't already aware, the next DLC is coming out later this month and based on early reviews is supposed to be much better then Operation Anchorage. The third DLC, slated for April release, will include a change in the level cap. I'm pretty excited about both since I've enjoyed Fallout 3 a great deal.]

I never actually finished Oblivion because it's so fucking huge, and the main quest never held my interest enough to keep me from getting distracted by every abandoned mine shaft with a pretty face and a treasure horde. Hopefully the characters in Fallout 3 have a bit more personality than the memorable TAVERN ELF NUMBER 53 and CAPTAIN PICARD OF CYRODIIL.
                      Fallout 3 is much bigger then Oblivion. MUCH much bigger. More open area to explore, more places to check out, more quests to do, etc etc.

And yes, you're still going to run across Random Guy 1, Bartender 2, and Evil Guy 3 in your adventures.
                      Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

Working...
                      X