This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If You Could Go Back In Time

This is kind of an off-shoot of my other thread concerning the Titanic, but this is kind of a 'what if?' thread so I decided to do a seperate thread

If you could somehow go back,knowing what you know, & had the ability to save the ship, would you do it?

This is something that I think about a lot, on one hand, if you allow history to play out then over 1500 people will lose their lives, but then on the other hand, if you save the ship, then you alter history..Do you follow your head or your heart?

Discuss
    "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

No, I wouldn't save her.. As callous as that sounds, the Titanic needed to sink the way it did. The Titanic sinking set in motion stricter safety standards that have saved more lives than what were lost on her.

The Titanic had so many design flaws that sinking was inevitable anyways (She might not have sank on her maiden voyage, but she wouldn't have lived much longer than she did)

I've been a Titanic enthusiasts since 1989 when I read the National Geographic about when they located the wreckage.
    Last edited by HappyFun Ball; 03-13-2012, 06:28 AM.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/?m=20080203

My destiny is not pretty, but it's what my cutie mark is telling me.

Comment

I agree. So much changed and remains so today because of that ship. The Cunards today are safer, much larger and faster, but just as gorgeous and majestic.

One of Housemate's relatives was in the boiler room when she struck the iceberg - specifically 5 or 6, where the bad stuff happened. He survived, too!!

I would, however, want to go back and see it. ^^
      "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

yeah, you guys are right..I tend to romanticize the whole thing I guess & just the thought of being there, having the knowledge to save her but not being able to do it for fear of altering everything that came after

I've debated with a lot of folks on the 'Titanic' board over at IMDB because there are a lot of folks who felt like the whole fiasco was Bruce Ismay's fault (he was the managing director of White Star Lines & the actor Jonathan Hyde portrayed him in the movie). They say that he was the one who told the captain to go as fast as they were going so they could 'make headlines' (we saw a scene in the movie where the 2 supposedly have a conversation concerning this), frankly I don't believe for a second that that conversation even took place, it was simply a rumor started by a woman in first class who lost her husband in the disaster, was grieving & needed someone to blame & because Capt. Smith & Thomas Andrews were dead, Ismay became the punching bag, so they destroyed his reputation

SongsOfDragons, wow, that's, wow..so I'm assuming that your housemate's relative wound up being in the boiler room that got the most water huh? (you mentioned 5 & 6, I know we saw one of the boiler rooms filling up in the movie but am not sure which one it was)

Comment

Quoth CorneliaMarieRocks View Post
          SongsOfDragons, wow, that's, wow..so I'm assuming that your housemate's relative wound up being in the boiler room that got the most water huh? (you mentioned 5 & 6, I know we saw one of the boiler rooms filling up in the movie but am not sure which one it was)
          His name was George Kemish, and he's Housemate's first cousin three times removed.

And here's what happened to him: http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org...ge-kemish.html
          "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Ismay also deserted Titanic like a coward, and rumors are that he did so dressed as a woman (I don't know if that is true, I wasn't there )

There's quite a few debates on the Titanic, if she broke inward instead, the last song played (I like to think it was Nearer My God To Thee)

My wedding dress (If I had a proper wedding) was going to be a replica of Rose's sink dress, that gorgeous lavender chiffon dress.

Oh and this is Carpathia:
            Attached Files

Comment

She needed to go down. The ship in terms of luxury was the top of the line, but it went on the claim that it was "unsinkable" and as such was denied several safety measures because of the engineering claims. This tragedy made the companies realize that engineer claims are no excuse to not implement proper safety and evacuation systems.

It's much like the "would you kill Hitler before he started WW2?" question. The answer is no because for all the evil he commuted, he was the only one keeping Stalin's forces at bay at the time. The only thing stopping a Soviet invasion of Europe was the fact that Hitler moved first.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

personally (and this is my personal opinion) Ismay wasn't a coward, I mean he didn't jump into the first lifeboat that was launched, he stayed & helped the officers load the lifeboats. He escaped into Collapsable (sp?) C which was the last lifeboat to actually be properly launched (the other 2 boats A & B floated off the deck when the final plunge started, many women, children & men lived simply because Ismay was loading them into the lifeboats BY FORCE..And this is all verified thru the site that SongsOfDragons posted earlier

I do agree though that the final song the band played was more than likely "Near My God To Thee" just as I believe that the song that they sang during Sunday service on the day of the collision was "Eternal Father, Strong To Save" which is ironic if you listen to the words that they would sing that song 14 or so hrs before disaster struck

love the look on Carpathia's face I miss my kitties, they've since passed to the Rainbow Bridge

Comment

Nah. I would've slam-dunked the fucker to cut out all the pointless scenery-chewing and Celine Dion caterwauling.

Oh snap, you were talking about the real Titanic! My bad.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

you just lucked out mister, you just almost bought me a new keyboard & monitor. although, hey look at it this way, you save Titanic & Celine Dion may never have been born

I actually like Celine's music btw & the Titanic love song is one of my favs *ducks rotten tomatoes*

Anyone here seen the "Ghosts Of The Abyss" documentary?

*spoilers alert*

oh.my.word, I was like throughout the entire thing, but even more so during the last 20 minutes when they were saying their goodbyes & one of the guys in the second dive sub looked at his watch & commented "it's 6:16am, Sept. 11, 2001" I was like, 'oh Jesus '

woke up the next day with the migraine from hell
                    Last edited by CorneliaMarieRocks; 03-13-2012, 10:48 PM. Reason: add something

Comment

I do think they demonized Ismay for getting on a lifeboat to begin with and all the good stuff he did do was skated over, I guess they looked at Captain Smith and Andrews who went down with her and thought he should've done the same, drowning, freezing to death or having your head implode from the pressure do not seem pleasant at all.

When the movie starts and that women (Not Celine, I think) is vocalizing, I always get shivers and tear up a bit.

I am looking foward to the 3-D version of it, I just inquired about ticket sales but since they don't have the schedule for the times yet, I wasn't able to purchase the tickets.
                      Last edited by HappyFun Ball; 03-14-2012, 01:15 AM.

Comment

see, exactly, Cameron didn't show more than the tail-end of Ismay helping load the boats & mostly focused on him hopping into the lifeboat, which he had every right to do, hell if Cal wasn't gonna take it, why the heck not? the only thing Ismay's death would have accomplished would've been that everyone's punching bag/scapegoat would've been dead (and believe me, I'm pretty certain that by the time the whole deal was over Ismay probably WISHED he was dead) I read that after the Carpathia arrived & picked up the survivors that when learned women & children had gone down w/ the ship, he pretty much collapsed & had to be sedated during the steam back to NY.

Actually, I think it is Celine, though don't quote me on that. I also absolutely, LOVE the way Cameron had certain shots done, for instance, a shot of the ship morphing from the wreck she is today to her former glory, just sends chills down my spine

Comment

and what's more is that you've got some yahoos who swear up & down that she wouldn't have sunk if Murdoch had just simply done nothing & allowed her to smash into the ice bow first, while doing 20 some odd knots mind you

Yeah, um NO. she would have lost the majority (if not all) of her bow & most of that area of the boat deck, plus the first 5 compartments still would have flooded because they would have been SHEARED OPEN which, in turn, would have caused her to sink in MINUTES & not hours.

Which for those playing at home, would have meant EVERYONE would have died

Comment

I looked into a Titanic expedition once.. 40k. I would love to do it, I just won't ever been able to afford to.

That ship was being steered towards disaster by an outside source, no wind, clear night, no binoculars for the look outs, ice warnings being ignored.

Comment

yep, exactly, it was a lot of little things that came together just so that night. And not to spark a debate here, but take a gander at my sig (the first part) ya know? You don't screw around like that & expect smooth sailing (pun totally intended).

That's part of what scares me about the Hillstrands on Deadliest Catch, too many times they've flown in the face of disaster & laughed about it later (ie, leaving port on Fridays, setting their gear too close to ice on purpose, letting the ice build up to a dangerous level on deck etc). I'm bracing myself for the day that they take a risk one too many times & it ain't gonna be funny

Comment

Working...
                              X