This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First day on the job...

So in my last thread I updated that I got a job at an aquarium. It's about 30 minutes from my house, through construction.

But today was my first day, a simple orientation. Or so I thought... I was the only employee who was going to work for the aquarium, the rest were working at the LEGO store that was next door to it. And since there were more employees being hired for LEGO, that's were the orientation took place.

Watched videos about the corporation and how it got started, watched a few power points, and seeing as the orientation was taking place in the LEGO store, we ended up watching a LEGO themed cartoon.... Scratch that, I refuse to consider "Legends of Chima" a proper LEGO product. Yes, had to watch a 10 minute 4D movie (why do they call it 4D exactly? 4D means time....) on the "Legends of Chima.... I feel bad for parents who have to sit through that with their kids.

Anyway, got to learn the basics of my job, but it would've been so much better if they had let us take a dinner break! I had to leave about an hour before to make sure I was there on time, and I didn't get home until really late, almost 10 hours since I had last eaten. Trust me, that sucked.

To make things worse, all of the construction in the area was screwing with my GPS and had me essentially driving around in circles in area I didn't know all that well. That and with it being dark and my night vision being kinda terrible. I was hopelessly lost. I ended up calling mom so she could let me follow her home. Love that woman.

Ever since I was little I've always given my dad crap about as soon as he gets home, he kicks us off the TV and sits there for the rest of the day. After today, I was exhausted. So I did pretty much the same thing, I just wanted to stretch my legs out and go to sleep. Which I'll be doing now, my brain is fried and needs rest...

Good night.
    Last edited by Eevie; 07-30-2013, 05:47 AM.
    Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

That's unreal that they didn't give you time to grab a bite, at least, even if they didn't feel there was time for an actual break. Makes it kinda hard to concentrate, I'd think ...

Anyway, good luck with the new job -- it sounds great!

Comment

UPDATE: Had my second day of training yesterday. Turns out they have a zero tolerance policy for SCs. If we can't get an SC to calm down, we issue a fake police call. If that doesn't have them running out, real police are called. Beautiful. Since I'll be working commercial, namely the admissions, the green screen photo booth, and the gift shop, I'll probably be using this at some point.

Comment

Orientation is usually more exhausting than the actual job. You get overloaded mentally and underloaded physically.
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
          Orientation is usually more exhausting than the actual job. You get overloaded mentally and underloaded physically.
          Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. The hours are a little crazy, I'll be missing dinner with my family a lot of the time. And Sunday they have me coming in for a team meeting at 8pm-10pm. Yeesh!

Comment

Quoth Eevie View Post
            Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. The hours are a little crazy, I'll be missing dinner with my family a lot of the time. And Sunday they have me coming in for a team meeting at 8pm-10pm. Yeesh!
            BTDT. With my PT job. Since the only time the entire staff can come is when we're closed. which is sundays. we eithr do first thing in the am, which I prefer, or after closing, at 6, which I hate.

Comment

Working...
            X