This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're Called BookSELLERS For a Reason

Not particularly sucky, the lady was perfectly polite, just more of a WTF? moment...

Woman comes in to buy her son the next couple books in a series. She has the first book from the series, an older copy that I presume she brought in to make sure she was getting the right books.

I get her the correct books, and she says, "Can we return these after reading them?"

Me: "I'm afraid not..."

Come on, people. How hard is it to distinguish between a LIBRARY and a BOOKSTORE? Especially when the name of the bookstore is "Blah-Blah BookSELLERS"?! We SELL things here. That's what we DO.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Why would you want to return books after you read them anyways???
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I feel your pain. Boy, do I EVER feel your pain...

Except, for us, we get students with textbooks who come in, buy the book to study for a test, then try to return it the next day when the test is over because they don't think they'll need it again.

Farking idjits...

Comment

When I was in high school, my best friend and I both worked at a video rental chain. We had to go to the library once for a school project, and she was completely clueless about how libraries worked.

Her: So uhm, do you need a membership card?
        Me: Yeah, but it's just called a library card.
        Her:... how much does it cost to rent the books?
        Me: oh god. BORROWING the books is free, dear.
        Her: What about late fees?
        Me: yeah, but it's only like, 10 cents per day.
        Her:

It was too funny. I attribute it to her being raised by movies and then working at a video rental store... although I didn't frequent libraries as a child, I at least knew the basics of how they worked.
        I work at Walgreens.

(I'm just tired of mentioning it every time I want to relate to a story. )

Comment

I've kept all the books I've ever bought so I have a small library in my house. I love to read & to think that someone would return a book they just read makes me cringe.

Comment

There used to be a second hand bookshop near here that gave store credit on books that you had bought from then and returned.

That said, I keep all my books. I have way more books than shelf space.
            "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
              Same here. And now I also have the tiny obsticle of no money to buy books, so I'm forced to give them back to the Library when I'm done.
              I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

There used to be a second hand bookshop near here that gave store credit on books that you had bought from then and returned.

Tell me about it! I specifically bought five of those six-foot tall, two foot wide, flat-pack, five-shelf bookshelves when they went on sale a while back, took the side-panels to work with me one day and drilled them out to make more mounting holes. I then used the shelves from the fifth unit (as well as two feet cut off of the top of the sides from the fifth unit) in the other four units, thus turning them into seven-shelf bookcases!

That worked so well that I bought a little four-shelf unit at K-Mart (for parts) and converted my older 30-inch wide bookcases to six shelf units!

And they're all full! (granted, the seven-shelf units won't hold much more than paperbacks, but that is a LOT of paperbacks.)

Our secondhand bookshop in town lost her lease when the insurance agent in her building expanded .

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                  I only do that to Bella and Mommy when they lend me books. However, they will be moving up to Green Bay soon and we can just go to each others' house when a particular books is wanted.

I have way more books than shelf space.
                  Same here. It doesn't help that the man of the household bought me shelves for my books and then they somehow became movie shelves.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I do that sometimes, especially if I'm in the middle of a big move. When I packed up my apartment to leave Virginia, I donated a lot of books I didn't want or need to a local library... The paperbacks went to their "take one/leave one" free stack and the hardcovers were given to them and hopefully added to their stock.

and sometimes mom buys books from the used book store and sells them back when she's done. (the library here is kinda under stocked, unless you order the books online).

Comment

One entire wall of my home office...is filled with books. I bought a trio of bookcases from the Swedish store. Then I went back, bought a box of shelves, and installed them between the bookcases...meaning I now have a total of 4 cases. Why? Well, there's an air vent I didn't feel like blocking. All of those cases are filled with books, or bindered magazines. What can I say, other than that I build models...and that's my research material
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                        Same here. It doesn't help that the man of the household bought me shelves for my books and then they somehow became movie shelves.
                        See, now that's another reason I want to get rid of the cases for all my movies, and just keep them in those CD storage books More room for BOOKS!
                        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Ooooooooooooooh...that's a great idea!!!
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I love second hand bookstores. Instead of buying a book when it's first released, I can wait a month and get a second-hand copy for half price. Especially because there's this one store that always has exactly what I want, even when I don't know what I want. (and an entire room full of Stephen King books, but that's another story. Which reminds me I must buy a copy of It)

Comment

Some books though, simply don't show up in used book stores. One that comes to mind is "Penn Central Power." That book, was only printed once...and didn't sell well. Right book, wrong time. The few PC fans bought them, and then it was never reprinted. Copies in good condition usually go for nearly $150 on Ebay Because of that, it took me 10 years to find a good one I could afford, from one of my fellow club members. Needless to say, I pounced on it. Sadly, it's no longer pristine.

One set of books I'd *love* to get, are the "Triumph" series about the Pennsylvania RR. They're currently listed at $75 apiece. Not bad, if you're only after one or two volumes...but that price quickly adds up when you consider that they're up to Volume VII (I think that's the last one) now. So unless I can find them cheaper, I'm holding off.
                              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                              X