This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, THIS escalated quickly

SM: Sucky mom, tho she didn't begin this way.
    TC: Touchy child, both figuratively and literally
    Me: Why do I still worry about children?

SM and TC show up, SM is gleefully ignoring her child as she goes to browse the CDs. TC comes up to my games and accessories and decides my stock is her personal LEGO collection and moves boxes around, stacking them, etc.

I'm thinking "Eh, it'll make me something to do once they leave."

The mom finally shows up on my counter, I start answering her questions, then I spot movement out the corner of my eye. I turn and let's be honest, panicked.

This is a Killzone 3 display Helmet. Notice the sharp plastic ends at the base.

Also note the base pulls out from under the helmet to reveal a secret compartment for the game and artbook.

Also note that makes the base heavy and slidy.

Also note I saw the little girl hold it by the helmet, shaking it, with the pointy end menacing to swing around (attached with tubes) and hit her in the mouth.

I admit, I did scream. It's what I do when I'm scared. I was absolutely convinced the base was gonna hit her in the mouth. I stepped over and took it away from TC, then kneeling down and telling her not to touch it.

She burst out crying.

Of COURSE she burst out crying, you see a tall stranger scream and run towards you, you're gonna be scared!

So of course, I apologized profusely to the mother and explained why I took the display out of her daugther's hand, that it was about to hurt her, then apologized to the little girl and telling her I wasn't angry (That was met with TC shouting and trying to slap me, her mother told her to be polite), apologizing again to the mother, who then told me it was fine, with a lovely smile.

Then, just as Sysiphus (sp?) found out, things went downhill.

She went to the store next door, which is our electronics department (each of our departments is in its own store... yeah.) and demanded to file a complaint to JM.
    JM told her to come back on a weekday because he wasn't a manager and only managers can take complaints.

Story the first: I had terrible customer service and didn't want her daugther to touch anything, I yelled at her daugther every time she touched something.

I know this cuz JM went to get my version of the tale. I was not happy.

Then I find out from JM's girfriend that works in a completely different store on the 3rd floor that SM went to her to file a complaint about me!

Story the 2nd: NOW I had abysmal customer service, I yelled at SM HERSELF when she attempted to touch something, it was not the first complaint I got and it certainly wasn't the last, I should be fired, etc, etc, etc.

Apparently she was making a fantastic spectacle of herself, screaming and waving around, so much so that other customers stopped and stared at her.

If I didn't want people to touch stuff in my store, I wouldn't order flippin' PLUSH DOLLS. I'm in the wrong damn department.

So a sincere apology and taking responsibility for the way I acted is met by this kinda behavior? And you wonder why your daugther attempted to slap me?
    Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

This is why eveyr store needs every inch covered with security cameras with sound. I hope you have some to back up your version.

Can we say Jeckyll & Hyde?

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I do, got 2 cams in the store and one is supposed to have sound.
      Besides, anytime I'm threatened with complaints, I write a detailled email to my manager explaining what truly happened.

I was never called in the office for a complaint in the 4 years I've worked here. My manager did come up to my counter once in awhile with tears in his eyes and still giggling over the latest "accusations"...

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

I would make the store to pull a "Dragnet". Basically hide the fact that you have video evidence (they had the press copy of a receipt) and then upon the customer signing the complaint... nail them with libel and slander (since she voiced the incident, then put it in writing.. in the show it was filing a false police report).

Comment

Yeah, this sounds about right. And if she child HAD hit herself with the item, you STILL would have gotten complaints about having a store full of dangerous objects, not watching her child, etc. etc. I think you should write down the exact scenario for your management, seeing as how you probably protected the store from an injury suit too. Maybe recommend those items are placed higher up or in non-child friendly areas?
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Shironu-Akaineko View Post
            I do, got 2 cams in the store and one is supposed to have sound.
            Besides, anytime I'm threatened with complaints, I write a detailled email to my manager explaining what truly happened.

I was never called in the office for a complaint in the 4 years I've worked here. My manager did come up to my counter once in awhile with tears in his eyes and still giggling over the latest "accusations"...
            Get a box of tissues for when your manager comes over in the next couple of days then ... you're probably gonna need 'em.

Good on your manager for backing up the staff! And yeah, that's another sucky mom who would've been screaming no matter which way that went. It's interesting that she was complaining about your behaviour while her own was causing everybody in the vicinity to turn and stare at her!

Comment

I hate to play devil's advocate here but here goes-IF the parent of said child can't look out for the child's well-being then it shouldn't fall upon you to do it. YES, I understand what you saw & thought what might happen BUT it might have been better if the kid had injured herself. Would have tought the mother a valuable lesson.
              When I worked as a cashier at Wal-Mart I saw a lot of potentially harmfull things that could have happened to kids horsing around, touching stuff they shouldn't have BUT I kept my mouth shut. Why? Because in the customer's eyes, even if you mean no harm & are looking out for their child's best interests, what the kid does is basically none of your business.
              They'll complain no matter what happens so why make yourself an even bigger target?

Comment

But Bright Star, that likely would have ended in a lawsuit for injury/negligence.

Comment

Damned if you do, damned if you don't situation; we DID get sued by the Darwin Award winner who walked himself right through our glass door and he WON.

Because despite the flyers and posters on it, we didn't have the lil red tape across it.

So scare the kid: pissed off mom.

Let the kid hurt herself: pissed off mom.

Comment

Fuck these ridiculous parents. Let's just remove all the warning labels and thin the herd. Maybe then the parents will stop abusing innocent sales clerks.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                    X