Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Don't be so certain. There are cases --they're rare, but they happen-- of folks falling from great heights, breaking their fall with the body of another, and walking away. True, the shock should have exploded the worm, however... and please don't tell me it's impossible. Funny thing about the word 'impossible': you can't spell it WITHOUT spelling 'I'm possible'. Audrey Hepburn, an actress from my dimension, even said so."

Colt finally got the piece of tech removed and said, "Okay... here's hoping this isn't glamoured. You can turn off the mind-meld now, please."
    Last edited by Tyg3rW01f; 07-28-2013, 06:56 AM.

Comment

• After stopping the vision sharing Dawn cautions "Just be aware that we can not allow that tech outside of Utopia. Although we have never found any world where the needed elements can be found to reproduce it, it is far advanced for most other races. Now, I promised you some demonstrations. I will show you the most obvious first." She taps on her armband and a visible shield envelops her from head to toe, front to back. "This shield can stop just about anything. When you get a chance, look up Dimension 1's atomic bomb. We can take a direct hit from one, and it wouldn't even scuff the shield."

"The other requires your trust. I will use the recording device to record what happens, because you will not be aware of it." What seems to be an instant later. Please view the record.

In the video she walks around the room, gets a bite to eat, and sits for what is about 3 minutes. The whole time both of you just look ahead as if frozen. "We can stop time for anybody but us for up to one hour. We have greater defenses, but those are what I am cleared to show you."
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

• "And even others of your own people cannot tell that one of you has stopped time for them? How are you able to trust each other?"
        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
        -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Dawn looks confused for a second, but then nods in understanding. "You have a point, after all..there are no natural Rutopians. All Rutopians were at one time Utopians. However, our shield negates the time field, and the city itself keeps track of all time field manipulations. The city itself is also protected against the field, though the inhabitants are not. While it is almost unthinkable for a Utopian to misuse our tech. It has happened before..and we now take precautions."
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

• Colt just paced. Dahhawks, worms that wanted to eat your face, and now uber-tech, and even MORE impossibilities.

"Okay, look. I may have been 'touched' as you claim, but let me inform you of something... the IMPOSSIBLE is what I do!!
            "Implausibility #1: Host transfer between 'hawk and Spirit Walker. Your own tech can stop time, right? What if it had been targeted and sabotaged? And do not tell me 'Impossible'.
            "Implausibility #2: the worm was on Utopia to begin with and was planted to destroy evidence. I've seen these things transfer... up close and personal and Steel got a faceful, too. They don't do dead stuff, do they?
            "Implausibility #3: guy was murdered and it was set up to LOOK like a Dahhawk.
            "Am I getting close to what you're thinking?"

Comment

• Although you can not see Dawn for the hood and cloak ((Nobody has yet asked for them not to wear it mind)) both of you can tell when her shoulders slump that she is frowning because she was thinking the same thing. "I fear you are correct. One of our kind might be going Rutopian. My own bias will not even let me consider who, but that is why you two were brought in. With xer sight," she motions to Sapputiyok, "and your ability to find anything.. I hoped you two could find something I missed that would explain it some other way. Or at least find out WHO if my suspicions were correct."

Comment

• Sapputiyok attempts a reassuring tone. "I'm sorry that this is so difficult for you. Let's try to circle around the quarry and close in on them. Who was closest to Spirit Walker, who might have been able to disable his shield? Also, you said the city keeps track of the time distortions. Can the city tell us when the time distortion was used, up to a day before he died, and who used it?"
                "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Dawn thinks for a bit. "His mate ascended last year, and though we are generally trusting that would only leave one of two possibilities. His brother, and Jacob. Jacob would be the closest thing to what you might call a son..as we do not have children as most species do..that one of our kind could be. As for time dilations." She taps some things on her wrist again, and you see a map of the city in hologram form. "The only time dilation that has happened in the last six months is here." Where you two and her are standing, it has a time index next to it, so you know it was the one that happened when she was demonstrating. Then she pauses. "Wait, that can't be correct." she taps her wrist again. No other blips appear on the map. "I just went back three years..and it is showing nothing, but I know for a fact that is not correct. I was teaching one of our youngsters how to use the gauntlet .. there should be several blips but they are gone. The city should be hack proof, but somebody or something has indeed hacked the city. I am getting tired of saying impossible, several things has happened that I would have thought impossible..so I will say that to my knowledge it can not be done."

Comment

• Colt's face was dark and serious as he said, "Then that means someone wants you to be the only suspect. And the fact you have brought in two auslanders (Outsiders in the German language of my realm, though it has dark connotations) only makes you look even more suspicious, Dawn."
                    He looks at Sapputiyok, "Worse yet is the fact Sapputiyok comes from a dimension that holds an aversion to physical touch and can be emotionally distant. That makes her a prime suspect as well. Implausible, yes, but it is what *I* would think."
                    "Then there is me. I come from a 'backward' dimension, crude, vicious, violent. I not only touched the body, but I'm incredibly interested in the goings-on. It would be a classic misdirect for me to be the one to do this, and be so intimately involved in the investigation."
                    "What I'm saying, Lady Dawn, is this: instead of making things easier to discern, you've made things even more confusing... at least for your people."
                    "You need to start over-analyzing this fact: You may no longer be welcome in your own dimension after this is solved."

He sighed. "Is either Jacob or Spirit Walker's brother involved with the computer maintenance of the city, or anyone else Spirit Walker may have slighted?"
                    "A jilted lover?"
                    "A displeased in-law or family member?"
                    "Perhaps the friend of a former student?"
                    "How are YOU connected to Mr. Spirit at all?"
                    "Could he or even you somehow insulted or injured a student? Earned a vendetta upon yourselves?"
                    Last edited by Tyg3rW01f; 07-29-2013, 04:45 PM.

Comment

• Dawn takes each question at a time. "Involved in the computer maintenance of the city? No. Walker's brother is a well known computer research and development person for our government. Jacob is very adapt at what most would call magic. As for slighted? As I said, Walker would be something like a priest if we had such. So no jilted lovers either."

"Our concept of family is a bit odd, as we are not born, but form .. at least for the last 1000 generations. But to my knowledge none of his family or in-laws held anything against him or me. However, yesterday if you would have asked me if half the things that have happened COULD happen, I would have thought you touched in the head."

"As for students, he was not a teacher..so no. I teach, but my students would not have much contact with Walker. My connection to Walker is he was my spiritual adviser I was assigned after my trip outside of Utopia. To make sure I had not been 'tainted' by the outside worlds. Since I only teach those who are newly formed how to use our technology..I do not know of any way I could have injured, insulted, or angered a student. There is no time table, as we are essentially immortal..or were. So there is no stress or failures. If it takes a couple thousand years for a student to master something, it takes a thousand years. As for Vendetta..well there are many who disliked me leaving Utopia. None of us have left, except for to Rutopia, for a very very very long time."

Comment

• "Colt, you and I have never been to this dimension before. There should be no reason for anyone to suspect us. If you wish to be paranoid, some people might think that Dawn has brought us in to clean up after her, since she is the prime suspect."

Sapputiyok turns to Dawn. "Dawn, are you sure there is no one who would have reason, even in their own mind, to frame you for this?"

"Also, who does maintain the city's record-keeping devices? Would they be able to tell us anything about the records being hacked?"
                        -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Dawn shakes her head. "One reason I knew the perspectives of outsiders was needed, was because I had no idea at all who would be responsible if anybody was. There may indeed be reasons, but none I can think of. As for the records, we always have three record keepers..and the city artificial intelligence itself. Sort of a checks and balances type of system. When you have concluded that we have learned all we can from the body I will introduce you to each one at a time and then the Artificial Intelligence that is the cities mainframe."

Comment

• Colt glared daggers at Sapputiyok. "Never been double-crossed by a supposed ally before, have you? I have, and it earned me a combat knife in the armpit."

Colt quickly gives a three minute story about the time he was tracking an assassin for the government, only to find the liaison officer was the assassin.

"So, you may call it paranoid all you damn well want, 'tiyok," Colt lifted his right arm to show a four-inch long slice over the big artery. "I call it being a bit smarter than I used to be. YOU be the naïve one, *I* meanwhile am gonna be the cynical one."

Comment

• "It is a surprise you get anything done if you both are worried about what the other says or does." Sighs Dawn. "Instead of butting heads, perhaps it is wiser if each does what they are best at?"

Suddenly Steel speaks in Colt's mind. "Hey bossman, I don't know how to say this or what is going on.. but we've been here before. If I am right in about three seconds Dawn is going to bring up a hologram of our two suspects."

Sure enough Dawn brings up two holograms. "Since magic can change people's perception of reality, the one who can see the truth should perhaps investigate Jacob." she indicates one of them. "And Colt the other?"

Comment

• Sapputiyok opens xer mouth to respond to Colt's story, but stops when Dawn starts to speak. "Please remember that Colt and I have not worked together before. We only met a few days ago."

Sapputiyok takes a deep breath. "Can you tell us more about these two suspects, Jacob and... the other one. What is his name? What sort of things can Jacob do with his magic? What sort of projects does the brother research and develop?"
                                -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
                                X