Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far we've got nothing here. A light dusting of snow this morning, and now just wind, wind, and wind. However, where my parents live, a few hours south, is getting a decent amount of snow. I should have listened to my coworker. She said she never listens to any weather report from the US. Just listen to the reports from across the border up north. Our weather is more similar to the big city up there where all the tv shows and movies are filmed rather than the city to the south were all the coffee and hipsters come from. So the weather reports lump us in with the city to the south, which means it's often wrong.

For real though, the wind is making my windows creak and hitting the building like a car. My apartment is in the middle of the four plex. : /
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
      We're supposed to get snow and wind starting tomorrow morning so I decided to do my weekend grocery trip today instead. So did everyone else in town, obviously. The store was busier than I've ever seen it. At least everyone was cheerful, I heard multiple people joking about stocking up for the storm. The milk cooler was decimated. It was being stocked and the cartons snatched up as soon as they slid down. The whole situation was a stereotype, and I was a part of it, lol!

I bet we get a few flakes and a bit of a breeze. That's what normally happens. When the weathermen say it'll be a big storm it's a dud, and when they say there will be a chance of snow or rain, we get a foot of snow.
      Ah, a French Toast Emergency ... [milk, eggs, bread, toilet paper ...]

I have a can of instant whole milk [skim is the devils jizz] and powdered whole eggs, I always have flour and yeast on hand so I don't need to buy bread ..

Way back in 1990 when Rob and I did a PCS [permanent change of duty station] from tidewater Virginia to Groton CT, there was an announced storm in like Feb or thereabouts. He, being the son of a woman who grew up on a small farm in Missouri during the end of the depression and into the 1950s, and I the daughter of an Amish woman who grew up on a small farm in south central Iowas during the depression, when someone tells us they are expecting a major storm we stock up on *sensible* stuff - 5 pound bag of onions, 10 pound bag of potatoes, 3 or 4 1 pound bags each of red kidney beans, dried lima beans, great northern beans, and barley, a flat [12 cans] each of stewed and diced tomatoes, 3 1 pound bags each ditalini, orzo and linguini, an 8 oz bottle of italian herb blend, a 1 pound box of salt, an additional 20 pounds of flour and 5 pound of salt, and 10 pounds of coffee. We added 10 'novena' candles [those ones in the tall glass jar] and made sure that I had a full cord of split wood stacked on the deck so I wouldn't have to go far to get wood if Rob got stuck on base and couldn't get home. We also changed the tires on the IH Scout to winter tires with studs and filled 2 5 gallon jerry cans with gas for it.

When you tell us to expect a storm, we expect a storm, not an inch of snow during the overnight, and another 2 inches over the next 3 days ...
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Well, south got all the snow, again... We're getting crazy wind here. Worse than before. Gusting over 60 mph. I actually have that same brand of powdered milk! Everything else is skim/non-fat. Yuck!
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

It's been particularly severe here in the SF Bay Area.

It actually got down below 40F (above zero) overnight a few times! I even had to help my wife scrape frost off her car's windshield, though it had all melted off by the time I left for work.

Horrors, I actually needed a coat!!
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I pulled up the forecast on my phone, and say it was 81 outside. Of course, it was not set to my frozen central Minnesota hell hole, but to Key West.

We're supposed to get another 3 inches of snow. It's not a lot, but it makes the roads even more of a pain in the ass to drive on.

Whatever. At least it isn't -35 again.
            "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Working...
            X