This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be grateful you even have a bus to get you home

As part of our NYE celebrations, the government made public transport free all night - including putting on all night public transport across the entire network. I assumed it would just be for city-based public transport, but my mate mentioned it was for the entire network, and that if we got the train out at certain times, we'd have connecting buses to get us home. Bonus!

Anyway, get the train out to my local interchange, and wait around for the connecting bus to get me home. A bus turns up for a nearby route, and the driver says he's doing a combined route for my route and the neighbouring route. The driver explains how he's going to do it (essentially one serves one side of the road, the other serves the other side), but there is a small section that won't be covered.

Of course, there's one bogan who says he wants to get off in this area, which the driver accepts and says he'll do. I'm thinking if he goes directly that way I'll just get off close enough to my place and walk the last block of so home. To my surprise, the driver heads towards my stop - so I'm thinking yay!

Get to my stop, and bogan kicks off - carrying on about his stop and why was the driver going this way. I got off before I heard the drivers response, but I'm thinking dude, you've got a free trip home for the night. The driver said it's a combined service, and made his plans for the trip fully transparent to us. Plus he's giving up his NYE celebrations to get you home safely. Show some gratitude and class.
    the end of an era is not the completion of a destiny. Momentum comes when we believe the best for the future, we keep speaking life into the future, and we commit to the future - Brian Houston

Gotta love the bogans.

I used to need 2 night buses to get home. One would go so far before it turned right when I needed to keep going straight. The second bus would be waiting at the stop to keep going straight for all the people heading to few more suburbs then satellite towns. The first bus was not allowed to leave if the 2nd bus and a 3rd connecting bus were not there. The amount of bogans that would crack a wobbly because the 1st bus had to wait for 5 minutes for everyone to get on their connecting buses. If I had a dollar for each time, I could have gotten my car a lot sooner. And it was normally the drunk footy bogans too.

I remember the first year Melbourne put on the free trains for NYE. As soon as the fireworks finished, thousands of people attempted to get on the trains at Flinders St Station. They had to shut the station for over an hour because it was too dangerous to allow any more onto the platforms. And people were bitching that there wasn't enough trains. No bloody durr! Trains were running every 15 minutes for the first hour (which was the standard for peak at the time). No one was expecting every man and his dog to be in the city. They were expecting the usual crowds.

Now, I only have to move 2 feet from my couch to get a fantastic view of the fireworks from my balcony.
    A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Wow, that's cool. Here you are stuck without a car. We do have a trolley (really a bus in costume) that on summer weekends runs all over downtown to a stop by a restaurant on the river which has a trolley theme. I think it costs a quarter or something. That restaurant is across the street from the loft apartments I want, though I'm still trying to decide if they are financially feasible. It would be cool to take the trolley home on a Saturday night. I never have a drink while out because I'm always driving.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I had a similar issue on with the bus here.

On NYE the buses ran on a regular weekday schedule with extended coverage for the Pinecone drop downtown.
        Because the bus ran regularly on NYE, they treated NYD like a holiday so that some of their employees could have their usual day off. Keep in mindo a lot of businesses treated NYD like a holiday and not NYE.
        I had to run some errands and get out so I had to take the bus.

Every time I was at a stop or on the bus I heard botching and moaning about the bus being late, I would then tell them it's a holiday for the buses so instead of every 25 minutes they where every hour 10 unless it was between 11:30 am and 3pm, where they briefly had 35 minute intervals.

Cue bitching and moaning that the day before was the holiday and they should be running regularly.

Cue me in total bitch mode with no patience for idiots, 'Would you rather all the people partying and drunk on NYE to drive home and otherwise get home on their own devices, or have them have a safe way of getting to and from the craziness while still allowing the bus driver to have a holiday. It's one or the other.' They immediately glared and moved away.

When will people learn, just because I dress in a punk nerd style with a half buzzed head doesn't mean I'm going to agree with idiots.

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post

I remember the first year Melbourne put on the free trains for NYE. As soon as the fireworks finished, thousands of people attempted to get on the trains at Flinders St Station. They had to shut the station for over an hour because it was too dangerous to allow any more onto the platforms. And people were bitching that there wasn't enough trains. No bloody durr! Trains were running every 15 minutes for the first hour (which was the standard for peak at the time). No one was expecting every man and his dog to be in the city. They were expecting the usual crowds.
          This is why SO and I will avoid Darling Harbour like the plague leading up to New Years as it gets crazy there.

Comment

They should be grateful they aren't The Last Guy.

During these hard days and hard weeks, everybody always
            has it bad once in a while. You know, you have a bad time of
            it, and you always have a friend who says "Hey man, you
            ain't got it that bad. Look at that guy." And you at that
            guy, and he's got it worse than you. And it makes you feel
            better that there's somebody that's got it worse than you.

But think of the last guy. For one minute, think of the last
            guy. Nobody's got it worse than that guy. Nobody in the
            whole world. That guy...he's so alone in the world that he
            doesn't even have a street to lay in for a truck to run him over.
            He's out there with nothin'. Nothin's happenin' for that cat.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Alternatively:

After searching across nations and continents, They have found the one person with the very worst life in the world. They have declared that this one person has the right to be unhappy. No sads for anyone else, ever.

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post

Now, I only have to move 2 feet from my couch to get a fantastic view of the fireworks from my balcony.
                sounds like my son's place. top floor of a four story building with a balcony facing the city and an uninterrupted view

Comment

Working...
                X