This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on how to word something

Ok, here's the situation. I'm in a job that I like right now. I enjoy the work, I like the sector I work in, and so forth. Of course, I do wish I was making more money, but that's a different story.

Anyway, a few weeks back I got contacted by a recruiter for a possible job that might fit the criteria that I'm looking for.

Well, he tells me about the job, and it sounds good (remote 4 days per week, pretty good pay bump). But like I said, I enjoy the job I have now, and I don't know that I'd like the sector that this potential position would be in (I don't want to go into too much detail). But I've worked tangential to that particular sector before, and sometimes things can be temperamental.

Anyway, he's really been pushing me hard on what I want to do. I met with the guy who is the guy making the hiring decision at that company. He seems like a nice guy (though he was about 30 minutes late to our meeting, which I didn't really appreciate, though they weren't familiar with the area because they were in from a distant city). He even asked me a couple of days ago to "think about" what it would take for me to take that job, "even if it's ridiculous". A colleague of mine said I should ask for $200K plus having my parking paid for.

I don't know if I want to go that route. That said, I'm working on a quick email to tell him I don't want to move forward. Here's what I have so far (with redactions):

-------------------------------------------------------

<Name Redacted>:

I apologize for the delay getting back to you. I was wrapped up in meetings all day yesterday, and wanted to send you a quick email before the release we have today.

I've given it thought, and at this time, I believe I'm going to stay here at <Current Company>. I came to this decision after consulting with my wife, trusted friends, and colleagues. I understand that working with <Other Name Redacted> I would be able to work remotely more, and possibly make more money, but I feel staying put is the most prudent thing for me to do at this time.

I know this may come as a disappointment, but I don't know that this particular position, though it does offer the promise of remote work and more money, is right for me at this time.

--------------------------------------------

Is that good? Is there anything else I should add? Anything I should take out?

I was seriously considering putting in the $200K thing, but I don't really want them trying to counter that (although it might be interesting to see what they'd say).

I have a feeling this guy might try to call me and coax out of me why I don't want to take the position. I wouldn't even know what to say, other than, "I really just don't want to", because then he might counter with the fact that it meets the remote work and money part of my criteria.

I don't want to burn a bridge with a possible future recruiter, too.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by mjr; 12-07-2018, 08:01 PM.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

If they're pushing *too* hard I'd be suspicious. Especially if they haven't filled it in "a few weeks".

Comment

Keep it simple and professional. Once you start offering reasons you are put in a position of defending those reasons.

I suggest something along these lines:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for following up of your job offer. I have decided to remain in my present postion for the time being. Again, thank you for your interest in me.

Sincerely,
      mjr
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I second Ironclad's advice.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Yes. The more you talk, the more of an opening you give them to argue. This is true in pretty much any situation where you anticipate possible push-back

You might also ask them to keep you in mind for possible future openings, unless you think that is also too much of an opening and the guy might keep bugging you (and you don't want him to?)
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'm going to take Ironclad's advice. I have a feeling, however, that the recruiter is going to call me and want to know why, especially since it would probably meet most of my criteria and I went through with a meeting with the guy.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
              I'm going to take Ironclad's advice. I have a feeling, however, that the recruiter is going to call me and want to know why, especially since it would probably meet most of my criteria and I went through with a meeting with the guy.
              The best reply is, "Personal reasons."
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

It's not in my career path.
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

So I sent the email. We'll see what happens.

EDIT:

Apparently, I worried for naught. I emailed the guy and haven't heard back. I don't know what that actually means, but he hasn't responded at all.
                  Last edited by mjr; 12-14-2018, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X