This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pat Benatar Discussion and Poll

Tonight, while I was out with two married friends, I got into a bit of a debate/argument/spirited discussion with the husband about Pat Benatar, for various reasons, one of them being she was playing in the vehicle we were in.

Without saying who of us said which (because I want honest opinions, not just people agreeing or disagreeing for some reason other than the music), one of us said Benatar's music was pop, the other said her music was rock, some of it hard rock.

For those of you familiar with her Benatar's work, please feel free to comment on this, and/or vote in the poll.

Thank you.
    Clearly a pop singer.
    2.56%
    Clearly a rock singer.
    25.64%
    More of a pop singer with some rock songs.
    20.51%
    More of a rock singer with some pop songs.
    48.72%
    I must be really young...who's Pat Benatar? Is she anything like Kate Perry?
    0.00%
    I must be really old...who's Pat Benatar? Is she anything like Nina Simone?
    2.56%

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

I voted rock. Why? Because "Love is a Battlefield" would never be a "popular" song now esp. with the video (no one now even know what "taxi dancers" are now adays). I have no idea if Pat wrote her own songs, but she was kick-ass in her delivery, resulting in my vote. Personally, in my experience, "pop" was an insult at the time. No one wanted to listen to it or be discribed as a "pop" singer at that particular time. **
    This thread is funny to me because I am currently wearing a very worn W.W.J.J.D. t-shirt.
    For the record, my idea of "hard rock" is Rush.

**I'm a "509" girl who, at the time, was very concerned about not being seen as a "new-waver" instead of a "punk-rocker".

Comment

Oh lord, I'm crap as estimating genre. My music generally gets classed into 'Stuff I like', 'Stuff i don't like', 'Instrumentals I like'.

I know pop stands for Popular but current pop has certain stuff that tends to always follow it, the beat, the tempo, rhythm etc. Or maybe that thinking comes from me watching Eurovision every year... XD I might start a thread for this year's contest. I did that one year on Gaia and it was great, especially since I was watching it on my own.

Benetar, I'd say there's something in the middle. Yup, I suck at genres. XD My favourite song of hers is Invincible, and there's definitely something rocky-ish about them.
      "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

I voted rock, because her stuff always sounded too... i dunno... heavy(?) to be classified as pop. Not that I'm that knowledgable about music.
        Love Pat Benatar, though.
        Random Doctor Who quote:
        "I'm sorry about your coccyx, too, Miss Grant."

I has a gallery: deviantART gallery.
        I also has a "funny" blog: Aqu Improves Her Craft

Comment

Rock all the way. I love Benetar. Her and Heart are the main reasons I became a singer.

Comment

as a child of the 80's - when Pat Benatar was at her peak.... I have to compare her to other female artists of the time....

she was more pop than rock, but she walked a fine line.....

Joan Jett - ROCK
            Patty Smith - (I am the Warrior) - POP

according to Wikipedia:
            She won an unprecedented four consecutive Grammy Awards for Best Female Rock Performance from 1980 to 1983 for her second LP, Crimes of Passion, and the songs "Fire and Ice", "Shadows of the Night", and "Love Is a Battlefield". Of the ten Grammy Award ceremonies in the 1980s, Benatar was nominated for Best Female Rock Performance eight times, including for "Invincible" in 1985, "Sex as a Weapon" in 1986, "All Fired Up" in 1988 and in 1989 for "Let's Stay Together".
            and she is classified as "Rock/heavy metal".....

guess my view is more skewed by 70's rock/heavy metal than I thought... lol
            I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

I'm going rock, with some pop songs.

I will also say, if you ever get the chance, go see her in concert! I saw her live in the 90's touring with the remains of REO Speedwagon and Fleetwood Mac. I really wasn't there to see her, but she put on one hell of a live show! Her live version of Hell Is For Children was one of the best performances I've ever seen. It actually converted me into a fan of her older, early- and pre-MTV stuff.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Maybe this is unfair, but I'm thinking of Pat if the high point of her career was now in the present decade. And to be honest I think if that were the case she would be more of a pop singer with some songs that could be considered rock.

Comment

I agree that Pat Benatar is great in concert. I have been to many of her concerts. I would consider her to be mainly rock with some pop songs. I think of hard rock as being more like Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Poison, etc.

Comment

Pat Benetar is Pop/Rock (also called Power Pop) with some New Wave leanings.

Heartbreaker is decidedly rock.
                    We Belong is more of a pop ballad. (and the 2nd song played at my reception)
                    Rapture is pretty solidly new wave.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                      I will also say, if you ever get the chance, go see her in concert!
                      Oh, I have! She was my second concert ever, when I was in my mid-teens. She was awesome! Saw her again years later at Phoenix Symphony Hall (early Nineties, I think), and she was equally awesome. If I get the chance, I would definitely see her a third or more times, as she is one of my all-time favorites. Of course, one of the drawbacks of living on a small tropical island is that very few concerts come our way...as in none. And while I can travel to the mainland for a concert (and have), it does add a lot more logistics to the event than simply heading to the show.

Quoth NateTheChops View Post
                      Maybe this is unfair, but I'm thinking of Pat if the high point of her career was now in the present decade. And to be honest I think if that were the case she would be more of a pop singer with some songs that could be considered rock.
                      If the high point of her career was in the current time, you might be right. But it wasn't. Her peak came from 1979-1988, as I recall. Well over 20 years ago. Different time, different music, different culture. For her time, she was (in my opinion) definitely rock, as Heart was.

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                      Rapture is pretty solidly new wave.
                      Yes it is. It's also a Blondie song, not a Benatar song.

On a side note, one Benatar song that never hit the radio but was a very interesting and beautiful song was "Wuthering Heights," her musical take on the book of the same name, as far as I can tell, having never read the actual book. "Wuthering Heights" can be found on Benatar's second album, Crimes of Passion (1980). It's also on the first disc of the 3 CD set I have in my truck, but I can't quite recall the name of it. Or you can just listen to "Wuthering Heights" here. Definitely not the typical hard-rocking Pat Benatar many of us think of, she of "Heartbreaker," "Hell is for Children," and "Fire and Ice."

On a side note, I have to say, while I love most of Benatar's work, "Shadows of the Night" remains my favorite song of hers. Just LOVE that song! Interesting video, too.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

"On a side note, one Benatar song that never hit the radio but was a very interesting and beautiful song was "Wuthering Heights," her musical take on the book of the same name, as far as I can tell, having never read the actual book. "Wuthering Heights" can be found on Benatar's second album, Crimes of Passion (1980). It's also on the first disc of the 3 CD set I have in my truck, but I can't quite recall the name of it. Or you can just listen to "Wuthering Heights" here. Definitely not the typical hard-rocking Pat Benatar many of us think of, she of "Heartbreaker," "Hell is for Children," and "Fire and Ice."

Wow, I had no idea anyone had covered this; I grew up with the Kate Bush version but this is definitely a damn good version!
                        "I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere and I'm here for the hell of it now"

Comment

Ok..now I know my mind is not what it should be..so maybe I am just confused..

Rock sort of became 'pop' if I am not mistaken. 'Pop' came to cover what mostly what would have otherwise been considered rock...with the harder or softer 'rock' getting their own designation. However, if this is wrong..and it very well could be..

I would certainly classify her as Rock.
                          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Working...
                          X