This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new superpower! ^_^

As for the advice -- Unless it was in Life Advice, that's a no-no. Should it happen again, please report the thread and we'll take care of it (PS. Sickbay is NOT a medical advice forum, either. It's for medical workers). That goes for everyone, of course.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'm really grateful that I've got a number of folks around me who are really supportive and understanding. Of course there will always be that negative nelly who tries to bring a person down, but I'll handle it with my usual grace and aplomb - ignore the heck out of them, block them on social media if necessary, and carry on carrying on. When it comes to my health I'm pretty much an open book - I've got no problem talking about it, and tend to be more than a bit of an advocate when it comes to educating folks on things that impact my life or the life of my loved ones Of course there is a good chance that behind closed doors I'll be swearing my head off over the stupidity of some people, but that's just normal

Comment

^_^

Yeah, I've got one of those "Neg Nelly"types among my family members. I'd catch hell from everyone else if I unfriended her, so I just unFollowed her (an elder Aunt, which makes her sacrosanct, apparently ). While she's gotten better and less caustic in recent years, her preferred way of offering unsolicited advice was to pooh-pooh whatever one was doing (e.g. eat less and get more exercise), insult her target for ever thinking such things might work, and then...advise them to do the things she just disregarded (e.g. eat less and get more exercise). 'Cuz, you see, if you're doing them because the advice comes from HER, it's a wise and legitimate solution. If not...not so much. Naturally, she, herself, is immune to criticism of any kind, including calling her out on her shit. Love her to death, but I don't think we'd live long in the same household.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

*snicker* I know I have mentioned it here before, but my last job, everybody knew I was diabetic and it was my birthday so they had one lady make me a cake - she used dry splenda in the batter, but the lovely chocolate ganache between the layers and as frosting was lovingly made of diabetic chocolate and was the *best* laxative the department had ever eaten <ROTFLMAO> Thank god we had plenty of available bathrooms ... at least they were trying to be helpful =)

I have pegged 5.8-5.9 quarterly for the past 5 years ... but I still check my feet daily, and get my routine podiatrist checks [and mammograms, and colonoscopies, and whatever other routine checks my insurance will pay for.]

I never discount genetics - I drive my cardiologist insane, they *still* can't find a reason for my malignant hypertension [unmedicated I ping at 210/190] because I have a textbook perfect echo, everything physical checks out perfect, and I have great labs ... while my doc is an exercise nut vegetarian marathon runner and HE has to be on statins <evil grin> while I eat [in moderation] milk, butter, eggs, whole cream, steak .....*burp* I still do about 2/3 of my actual food consumption is fresh fruits and veggies [the recommended 8-10 servings per day] and I do whole grains, legumes, nuts and seeds, and real meats not convenience foods in proportion. I like high percentage dark chocolate, red wines [my current favorite is a nice sangria] and am scrupulous about my medications and testing.

Been type 2 since it started out gestational in 1980 ... when I weighed 125 pounds at 5'7" tall.
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Gratz! My A1C was in the 7's when I was first diagnosed (~4 years ago...? 5? ) --- Now down to 6.1~6.2 --- Blood pressure read at north of 150/130 even at a complete, near-snoozing rest without meds at the time; these days I'm just on the high side of normal (around 110~115/85~90) with meds.

My DB is likely a combo of family history combined with self-inflicted. Been slooowly improving my diet over time...and I finally found a place I can afford to swim (no public pools...or public transportation, for that matter, in my town), so I've been doing PT-ish exercises there for a year. Down a small number of pounds and one belt size So...baby steps.

Comment

My A1C was right at 7 when I was diagnosed. I had it down to 5.5 when the appendix ruptured. It has since creeped back up to 6.7. I need to stay out of the crap that everyone brings into the office. It is hard to turn down Mud Pie.

I don't know what the "official word" is (don't know who is official), but all of my doctors are treating 6.5 as diabetic now.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
              X