This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Dentist!

I've been having a hell of a bad time with this dentist but I don't know how to get out of it. I should've gone to the other one... *sigh*

Back in March I got a root canal and needed two crowns. During the root canal the dentist gave me some sort of sedative. Of course this was all decided before the procedure BUT he didn't tell me that there may be side effects!

Well, as he crushes the little blue pill with a candy cane (yes shards and all) he puts it under my tongue to melt. Not so bad but as I'm laying there they hook me up to a monitor for my blood pressure. Everytime I breathed shallow it would start to beep and the dental assistant (DA) kept telling me to breathe deeply to "trick" the machine. I wasn't okay with that.

After awhile I stopped listening to her and next thing I know I hear this:

DA to Dentist: Her blood pressure is really low....

I blanked out for a few (felt dizzy and tingly) and the next thing I knew the doctor put some sort of shot into my arm. I guess to counter act the drug. Well, I was okay throughout the procedure half aware and half not. Dizzy as hell though.

As soon as I was done and got home I spent the next 24 hours dizzy and barfing my brains out. My husband was really worried and didn't know what to do. I finally came to the next day still dizzy and feeling like shit and it took close to four days to feel normal. Luckily I was on vacation. Some vacation, huh?

So... I had a bad experience but when I talked to the dentist office the next day:

Lady on the phone: Oh... You remember all that? We've never had a patient have that reaction...

Me: really?

I doubt I was the only one and why did she seemed shocked that I could recall most of what went on? I also think they lied about giving me a cleaning. But who knows since I probably ruined it with puke. You know how you can tell when people are being shady? yeah. I have that feeling.

So.. fast forward to a month later and after I had one crown put on... I guess the "lab" messed up my other crown and so I have to wait yet again to get the work done. Why is a root canal and a crown so fucking hard it has to take almost two and a half months?? I was supposed to go tomorrow but the dentist cancelled on me cuz he's going to be gone for two weeks.

I haven't chewed on my right side since he began the work. It's hard just chewing on one side. Can I go to another dentist to finish the job or stay with this whack job? He tried to pull out the temporaries without novocaine and made a comment on how if it hurt maybe he should have did a root canal on both teeth. Real funny asshole.

So.. here I am with ONE crown and one temporary still wondering what the hell i'm going to do. And the cherry? I think the company charged my insurance for more stuff than they've done to me. What a mess!!! Sorry so long I am just so angry.

IMHO find another dentist.

Also that would be some serious insurance fraud if they charged for more than they actually did.

Comment

Get a report of exactly what was charged and find another dentist.

I haven't even met him and already I don't trust him.

Did you want to be sedated for the root canal? My sister and mom both have had one *knocks wood for myself* and they were not sedated at all. I know each case is different though.

When you call up the other dentist, explain what's going on. Sometimes places keep openings for emergencies and maybe they can fit you in earlier than normal. Or be put on a waiting list for an opening + whatever they can give you.

Comment

Can I go to another dentist to finish the job
        YES

Seriously, you don't have to stay with him. Find another dentist and explain what happened and what fears and concerns you have.

Mom had a chipped tooth another dentist had to fix. it got chipped while she was visiting a sucky dentist. He & the hygienist were not paying attention and mom started to gag on the water. IIRC the hygienist wasn't even looking at her, just staring out the window.

she lurched a bit from panic and hit her teeth on the dentist's tool. chip.

her new dentist was able to fix the tooth to make it look normal

Comment

Unless you're having pain/difficulties, there's no reason not to chew on the side with the temporaries; I've been having continuous work (a visit every 2-4 weeks) for the last 18 months and I've had half-a-dozen root canals; none have yet been crowned, as they want to be sure the sites are all fully stabilised first.
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I agree, find a new dentist, and talk with your insurance.
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Is the temporary crown one of the metal kind? I've had a "temporary" metal crown on my tooth for 10 years and it's not going anywhere yet. Much cheaper than the porcelain ones.

As for root canals unless it's one of my front viewable teeth NEVER AGAIN. I hated the one I had and when another tooth in the back went back I just had that pulled.
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I have a metal crown, and it's a permanent crown. I love it, actually - prefer it to my natural teeth!

But yes, the answer to 'should I see another dentist' is HELL YES.

And yes, your new dentist should report to your insurance company what evidence he can see of what the weird dentist may/may not have done.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I once went to a dentist who tried to suffocate me with the rubber dam by pressing it against my nose. (Ok not really.) But fortunately the hygienist was paying attention and noticed the panic in my eyes and told him.

Comment

the family dentist I used to go to decided to give me a filling. In the car back home it fell out. Given Mum dragged us down to the same dentist every 6 months, I kept quiet.
                    6 months later, he didn't spot the missing filling, nor declare that tooth needed filling.
                    I happily now refuse to go to a dentist unless my teeth hurt (although I do try to look after them and use mouthwash etc)

Comment

Oh, heck, yes! Go find another dentist NOW and have them also write up a list of what they find wrong to back your claims.

My only complaint is that my current dentist is a fellow migraine sufferer, so it would have taken a week longer for me to get my perm crown in. Well, who knew that acrylics don't hold up well? Bit down and crack... They squeezed me in the next day, so I could have the crown put on. She's also caught a thin filling from a previous dentist, not to mention that her hygienist is great at catching other issues and offering suggestions.
                      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth scruff View Post
                        I happily now refuse to go to a dentist unless my teeth hurt (although I do try to look after them and use mouthwash etc)
                        I've been dragged to the dentist about 5 times in my entire life. All my friends/in laws etc do everything right and eat the right things and visit every 6 months and have tons of fillings and work done.

My mother had a problem with a root canal when she was young and wouldn't put me through that. So she never took me. Everytime I get dragged in (due to change in school, hubby etc) the only thing they can come up with is that since I never had braces as a kid my teeth aren't cosmetically straight. And yet I do all of the unadvised things, eat the wrong stuff, don't floss etc.

The only thing that mucks up my teeth is a cleaning because afterwards they take about 6 weeks to stop hurting. Oh, and my wisdom teeth although when they are through its find again - its just when they are trying to rearrange the gum line a little as they grow.
                        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

You HAVE to report this dentist after leaving him. As far as I know, if he maxes out the amount of dollars that you're covered for (with his bogus procedures and charges) you might not be covered for the rest of the year if you have another dental emergency....

Comment

Sounds like you visited Al Bundy's dentist. "Now, make sure you take a picture of the head so they know it's a human mouth."

I would find a new one. My dentist isn't the best, but he works with you and is very accomodating with any problems one might have. They have a machine in office that water-engraves crowns and such, and it takes about 15 minutes per cap/crown to get the whole thing done. (I had to sit in there with the machine once.) They even have a special computer program that tells the machine what to do. It's pretty neat.

As far as the insurance, it couldn't hurt to give a heads up to the company you have insurance through about your concerns. It's possible they might be able to investigate further or even double check your charts for their records, based on your suspicions and reported experience.

On a side note, I had every single tooth in my mouth pulled in March. I was throwing up for three days, too, because of the pain and not being able to eat properly, and the dentist informed me that sometimes people have a bad reaction to the taste of blood in their mouth after dental work. Hope you feel better.

Comment

Working...
                            X