This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone have a happy and SAFE Fourth of July

I hope all our US members have a happy and safe holiday tomorrow. If you're working, I hope the SCs stay home

But above all, if anyone's planning anything with fireworks, be careful. Here's a cautionary tale that just happened in Pelham NH a short time ago:

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...WS07/120709882

EDIT: Link no longer works. THe story was that some people in Pelham NH were setting up for a fireworks display (legal in NH) and there was an accident, and their entire show's worth of fireworks went off at once in an explosion, injuring 6 adults and 3 children. Two of the children has to be airlifted to Boston for treatment.

Suffice it to say, be careful.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 07-05-2012, 02:11 AM.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

My kid burned her hand on a sparkler a couple years ago. She still has a scar.

Did you know sparklers burn hot as a welding torch? If you wouldn't hand a small child a welding torch, don't hand them a sparkler. A piece of...I dont' know what that stuff is on a sparkler...popped off, landed on her hand, melted into her skin and just kept burning. It was HORRIBLE.

I dont' mean to be a wet blanket, but let me tell you want a wet blanket is: Going through that with a kid. We don't do that crap anymore.

Please be careful with your incendiary devices tomorrow. Have fun, stay cool, and don't get hurt or burn anything down.

Comment

When I was a kid (back in the olden days) we would go up to my grandparent's farm for the 4th. My Dad would get sparklers and hand one to my brother and me. Never got burned or anything.
      "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Might I add: drink plenty of water if you'll be out in the sun and heat.
        Happy Fourth everyone!
        Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
        Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Got an "access denied" when I tried to follow the link - even when I tried to go to the top level (www.unionleader.com).

One (probably false) attribution I read years ago dealing with fireworks:

Confucious say: Fireworks can be embarrassing. Careless handling can lead to loss of face.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

A similar story happened earlier in a little town in Washington. Somebody had stored the city's fireworks in a metal can near a guy's auto shop ($80,000 worth of fireworks) and the guy went out and tested his new rifle on a bunch of old cans sitting out near some junk cars.

BOOOM.

Nobody was killed, but the city had no fireworks this year.
            Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...WS07/120709802
              Boy injured in Pelham fireworks explosion improving

I won't lie... I really DID want to try some fireworks this year. But it's been so fucking hot my county & the next county to the south banned it (and open fires) temporarily because the grass is so dry. Seriously some of it's turned crunchy. People still violated it tho - cops were issuing a lot of citations ranging from $50 to $500.

But fireworks are legal all year round here so maybe I'll still get a chance to try some out. One of the more popular stores is open all year round. So hell, maybe we can have christmas fireworks too.

Comment

Working...
              X