Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thief tries to disguise himself as SC.

I was supervising the front end/watching self check while all this was going down, so I only was eye witness to the end of it. I caught the whole story afterwards.

We cash payroll checks at our grocery store. We have to be on the look out for phony IDs, phony checks, the usual. A man came in with a suspicious check. It was for a local business we are all familiar with and this check looks nothing like the usual checks we get from there. The customer service girl asks him to please hold on a second and made up a story about how we have been having problems running payroll checks through today. She goes into the cash office (located directly behind her) to hand them the phony check. Also, with the payroll check is the guy's ID. His REAL ID. So a manager is called, who calls the local business to see if this guy works there. Of course not. Police are called and when given the name they say "Stall him, we have a warrant on him!".

So Customer Service girl has to stall the guy while manager stays on the phone with the police for whatever reason. Guy gets belligerent. He starts saying the usual "This store is so fXXXing slow, I'm never coming down here again. Why don't you guys get people who know how to do their job? This is stupid, why do I have to wait so long? I come in here all the time!", "You know how much money I spend here?" Then he started insulting her. "Can't you call someone that knows what they're doing, since you don't?", "Don't you know how to fix the problem?", "I want to see a manager, you don't know what you're doing! I shouldn't have to wait this long to cash a XXXXXX check!". He was loud enough that everyone was looking at him and he started cursing a lot more. I went over to ask her what was going on (unaware of the phony check) and she said the store manager was handling it. I got the vibe something else was going on, but I knew I didn't want to leave her alone with this idiot. A minute or so after I appointed myself her bodyguard (he became suddenly quiet after I made an appearance. My 5 foot 3 inch frame must have really intimidated him), a cop came in. Actually, three cops came in and walked right up to the guy. The conversation goes like this :

Cops: "Hi, how are ya?",
    SC/Thief: "Fine."
    Cops: "Got any ID?"
    SC/Thief: "These a$$holes have it, and my check!"
    Cops: "Hands behind your back sir."

They cuffed him right there! The guy settled down after that

I'm thinking "Hey, if we can call cops on SC's now, great!" but then CS girl whispered in my ear what was going on. I'm assuming the guy thought if he was loud we would cash his check with no more questions.
    "Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did."
    George Carlin

Oh wow. I'm glad you stepped in to help that poor girl, and you guys shouldn't have had to put up with that!
    "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

Just realized I should have put "scammer" instead of "thief" in the title! There is a bit of a difference, sorry
      "Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did."
      George Carlin

Comment

Note to self: When committing check fraud, use fake ID and do not make a scene when the store employees say there is a problem with the computer.

Bet that guy is thinking !
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
          Bet that guy is thinking
          See, I bet that guy isn't thinking much at all.
          "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth Whyme View Post
            Just realized I should have put "scammer" instead of "thief" in the title! There is a bit of a difference, sorry
            Well he's probably gotten away with it before, so he probably is a thief AND a scammer.

Comment

Quoth Whyme View Post
              There is a bit of a difference
              Is there? They're both pathetic, stupid and try to take what isn't rightfully theirs. Equal in my eyes, at least. Certainly both deserve some intimate time with the .
              Discourtesy Clerk, purveyor of fine hay bales, pine scented douche and stuff that's not in bins since July 2006.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                Note to self: When committing check fraud, use fake ID and do not make a scene when the store employees say there is a problem with the computer.

Bet that guy is thinking !
                And now no matter what happens regarding his jail time or probation, he gets the pleasure of a lifetime criminal record, if he didn't have one already.

Comment

Quoth CanadaGirl View Post
                  Well he's probably gotten away with it before, so he probably is a thief AND a scammer.

The cops said they had a warrant for him, so he did some kind of big no-no in the past. I guess he is a thief
                  George Carlin

Comment

Quoth Whyme View Post
                    I'm thinking "Hey, if we can call cops on SC's now, great!"
                    Yeah, don't I wish.
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

"Sir, you are under arrest. Put your entitlement down and slowly back away. You have the right to remain silent. Please do so. You have the right to the same deals as every other customer, but nothing more. So get over it. You have the right to an attorney, but you do not have the right to sue this convenience store clerk for not giving you free beer. You have the right to be put into your place when you act like an asshole. You have the right to not act like an asshole. You have the right to shut the fuck up. If you do not understand any of the rights I have read to you, no one will be surprised."

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        "Sir, you are under arrest. Put your entitlement down and slowly back away. You have the right to remain silent. Please do so.
                        I'd rather see it done like Chris Rock did in Lethal Weapon 4... "You have the right to remain silent...so shut the fuck up....if you can't afford an attorney, one will be provided for you...we'll get you the dumbest fucking lawyer on Earth..."
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                          we'll get you the dumbest fucking lawyer on Earth..."
                          I didn't think Jack Thompson did these cases.
                          I AM the evil bastard!
                          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

If it's in a place that sells/rents video games, I'm sure he could be retained.....

Unless he finally manages to get himself disbarred, that is... Take 2 is working on helping with that.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

At *our* Bank out at the Mall some redheaded woman tried to cash 2 checks totaling over $20,000. The bank called where I work and asked if these were our checks. The problems were that the check numbers were about 3 years old, the checks weren't the right color and they had old boss' signature on it (old boss hadn't signed checks in over a year). So I told *our* Bank that the checks were fake but according to the bank they couldn't keep the checks so they walked out with the redheaded woman. I do think there was something not right with allowing her to leave with the checks but there wasn't anything I could do.

The bank did call the cops and handed over the video tape. The bank also sent out an alert to all their branches in SD, WY and MT. And I sent flowers to the bank lady who called and asked about the checks.

Afterwards we started making bad jokes about co-workers wearing a red wig. We did suspect an ex-employee but never did see the tape, so that can't be confirmed nor denied. But we still blame him because he isn't around to defend himself.
                              Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Working...
                              X