This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random discussion on Malicious Compliance

I think this is safe to put here. I don't think it rises to the level of "fratching".

I will admit, I have a bad habit sometimes of "passive-aggressive" behavior. I'm not proud of that fact, but it is what it is.

To that end, in your opinion is "malicious compliance" ever acceptable, and does it "work"? And have you ever tried it? And if you have, what was the result?

Wikipedia defines it as:

"the behavior of intentionally inflicting harm by strictly following the orders of a superior knowing that compliance with the orders will not have the intended result."

I know there's an entire subreddit and numerous YouTube videos dedicated to the subject. I question if some of those are real, though.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

<mod hat on>

As long as the discussion doesn't wander off into the realm of violence (fantasy or otherwise -- this is about "creative" interpretation, not truly harmful activity), we cool.

</mod hat off>
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

So long as you're considering the full consequences of what you're doing, sure. Just remember that it feels so good at first, but you might get fired anyway.

Comment

Does preparing documents for Goodhair's loans count? Especially when I know the borrower is a bad credit risk? I mean, I'm just doing my job/what I'm told...
        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
        -Mira Furlan

Comment

Sure. That could be an example, Ghel.
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

When the Demonic Duo (V and M) ruled the roost at the store, they would often give instructions so vague/obviously contradictory that they could never have the desired result in any reality but we did it anyway...when the inevitable tantrum came all any of us had to say was "I was doing exactly what you told me". When these games started I guessed correctly that any of us actually thinking about it would result in "you didn't do what I said" so we followed the shitty directions to the letter and documented the process to the best of our ability (either taking notes or actually recording how we were told to do X, and photographing everything we did).

The retail manager (their boss) knew what we had been told to do and that there was no legitimate way we could be disciplined for following orders. They tried, but all we had to do to stop that was refuse to sign the attempted writeups and then give HR the actual versions of events...so HR was on to their games.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I figure if you try (once) to politely point out the oncoming train, and get shut down... they deserve everything that comes their way.

Comment

So much this.

This display needs X units of product to look good but we have X-50? Okay, we'll fill it with X-100 (or however many it takes to also not leave a hole on the shelf) and leave the resulting holes. With some MiM the imagined insubordination is more important. Now if they had realized this/listened to us/looked at the actual units on hand and said "Okay, we're short on ProdA, don't empty the shelf so fill the space in with a related item now and we'll order more" or allowed us to make a judgement call that would be fine as it's still following directions.

Comment

How 'bout THIS
                  Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

It gets me in trouble either way. Do what the bosses want in one arena and you fall short in another. We can't win.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Pix, I've done that before (at both jobs). The SCs never noticed.

Our manager has been sending quite a few vague, weirdly-timed messages lately:

"I don't want to see anyone on their phones"...then how am I supposed to communicate with the donation pickup? He's included in the group text, so he knows who on our crew is supposed to handle that stuff.

Another one is "I never want to see anyone without a cart". We all picked up on the fact that he didn't specify a handtruck-style cart...so if we happen to only have one item to bring out and there's a shopping cart in the warehouse that needs to find the floor, then use the shopping cart and leave it in the corral. Or use a handtruck (if anyone can find one, that's another thing) for a single box when it's super-crowded. If that tactic results in things slowing way down--or grinding to a halt--then we're hoping we can force him to realize the problem.
                      Last edited by Dreamstalker; 11-24-2019, 11:07 PM.

Comment

There is a sub-reddit dedicated to this very topic. I make no promises as to the truthfulness of said sub-reddit
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

How about this story on the sub-reddit I Don't Work Here, Lady:

$15K instant karma

I rather liked the way they handled it.
                          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Working...
                          X