This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THIEF!!!

Grrr! I am so pissed off right now. Just got home after I caught someone stealing one of my customer's papers!!

Saw this chick walking down the street. I delivered a newspaper to a box, and then went down and delivered to the rest of my customers' driveways, which was just a handful more, then turned around to head home. On my way back, saw same chick going back holding...a newspaper she didn't have before? When she saw me she ducked down a side street.

I checked the box I delivered to. No newspaper. Oh, hell no...

I tore down the side street and caught up with the woman.

Me: "Excuse me, are you the owner of the box where you took that paper from?"
    Woman: "What?"
    Me: "That newspaper. Do you live at the house where you picked it up from."
    Woman: "Erm, no..."
    Me: "Well, when that customer complains, I have to pay for it."
    Woman: "Oh."
    Me: *extends hand* "So, I'm going to need that paper back."
    Woman: *sheepishly hands back paper* "Sorry, I'm sorry..." *dashes off down another street*

I redelivered the newspaper and was on my way. Not sure if she's going to go back and pull the same sh*t now that I'm gone, though. I let my District Manager know. Not sure what she can do, but at least she can get a heads up.

I don't really care about eating the cost of one or two stolen papers. But when a customer is looking forward to that paper first thing in the morning, I know that little thing missing can be upsetting. And I care about my customers (they tip me well).
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Can I be your customer? I'd tip you with delicious baked goods. Seriously, I don't get a paper, but I appreciate the hard work y'all put into it, especially the getting up before the sun. And how can people just steal without concsience?
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
      And how can people just steal without concsience?
      Because they want stuff. They feel they deserve it, and have no money to pay for it, so they take it.

bhskittykatt: You rock. Pure and simple. Kinda remind me of me, but far less negative. I would have done far worst then that. I would have just ripped the paper out of her hand calling her names such as thieving scumsucking piece of crapola. (I mean that. I would have said Crapola), and take a picture of her on my cellphone to show to boss, show to customer that this lady tried to steal your paper just to let them know.

But I'm just an asshole that way.
      Military Spouse Support.
      http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
      Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Many, many years ago when I delivered papers for 2 months, I had a customer who informed me that he watched a dog run off with his paper 2 days in a row. That a**h*** called in and complained that it was not delivered. I still hate that jerk.

I hope something like that does not happen again to you.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          Can I be your customer? I'd tip you with delicious baked goods.
          Baked goods work well! Around Christmas, I get lots of homemade baked goodies from customers, like cookies and pumpkin bread. Yummy!
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Pathetic. People will steal anything won't they? Glad you caught her.
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
              I would have just ripped the paper out of her hand calling her names such as thieving scumsucking piece of crapola. (I mean that. I would have said Crapola), and take a picture of her on my cellphone to show to boss, show to customer that this lady tried to steal your paper just to let them know.
              I would've been tempted to do all the above, then beat her about the head with the rolled-up newspaper. Especially if it's a Sunday edition.

bhskittykatt, you did the right thing and took the high road. Hopefully the shaming you gave that thief will make her think twice before stealing anything again.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                People will steal anything won't they?
                Sad, but true. Working in a place that sells electronics, as I do, the majority of people who steal stuff, I can tell you, aren't career criminals after some huge score. They're ordinary people who want something for nothing, and justify their guilt by telling themselves they deserve it or really need it.

Good on you for catching the paper thief.
                "Oh, you hate your job? There's a club for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet down at the bar." ~Drew Carey

Comment

I would have called the cops. The cops would love to hear her explain why she felt the need to steal a paper that wasn't hers.

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
                    Because they want stuff. They feel they deserve it, and have no money to pay for it, so they take it.

bhskittykatt: You rock. Pure and simple. Kinda remind me of me, but far less negative. I would have done far worst then that. I would have just ripped the paper out of her hand calling her names such as thieving scumsucking piece of crapola. (I mean that. I would have said Crapola), and take a picture of her on my cellphone to show to boss, show to customer that this lady tried to steal your paper just to let them know.

But I'm just an asshole that way.

In addition to getting the paper from her, I would have at least tried to get her to show me some ID. If she refused, I would have told her it is either that or I call the police.
                    Last edited by RoadRanger; 05-25-2010, 01:22 AM. Reason: why does this keyboard love typing 2 letters when I hit 1 key?

Comment

Quoth RoadRanger View Post
                      In addition to getting the paper from her, I would have at least tried to get her to show me some ID. If she refused, I would have told her it is either that or I call the police.
                      No. Do not do that. You have no legal right to do that unfortnally. Even if she is some kind of scum piece of shit, she still has the right to be protected sadily. Which means people that only deliver papers can't force her, or really even attempt to get her ID.
                      Military Spouse Support.
                      http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                      Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

But you can call the cops.
                        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

If I see her again, I will call the cops. I'm hoping she was just randomly passing through, though. It's a pretty affluent neighborhood, and people don't normally wander around there at 4am, so she'd be easy to pick out if she was in the area again.

Comment

If I were simply a bystander and it wasn't my job to deliver the papers, I'd laugh and do my best to humiliate someone who stole a newspaper. Around here, they are 50 cents daily and $1 on Sundays.
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Customer whose newspaper I rescued gave me a rather nice tip. If they knew what I went through...for that size a tip it's worth it! (Like I said, rather affluent neighborhood, rich people, good tips! )

Comment

Working...
                              X