This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That was unexpected

For a while, I planned on going to university this September so that I could become a fully qualified teacher. However, the economy in my area has taken a massive dive, and at the minute, people are lucky if they even have a job.

So I decided to hold off unverisity for now. I have a job I really love, and I didn't see sense in quitting it to go to university, get a qualification, and then be left without a job. My absolute worst fear was ending up back at a pub, because I honestly believe if that happened, it would be the end of me.

Plus, my first choice in university rejected me

Today, I got a letter from an excellent university, offering me an interview. This university was not my first choice, because I honestly believed they would never take me. I got the letter today.

I am definately going to the interview (it is in just over three weeks) but this has completely put me out of sorts. I don't know what to do. I spent my entire office shift pacing up and down, going through it all in my head.

"Don't cross that bridge until you come to it."

Don't stress about it until you actually hear back from the university after the interview. That doesn't mean you shouldn't think about it at all, but don't dwell on it, or you will end up with a painful stomach, no sleep and stress headaches.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Is there any way you can start taking classes and keep the job?

Also, talk with your boss and other management about this. You work for an educator. I would think that they would be very supportive of you continuing your education. They may even have other ideas and suggestions for you.

Good luck.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Perhaps the university allows you to accept, but defer classes for a year.

Comment

Do they have community colleges in the UK?
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

From my experience, some universities will allow you to accept a place and defer for one year. The classes aren't 9-5 Monday to Friday either, in fact on our law degree we have 14 hours of schooling a week, so could you ask them perhaps to put all your classes as close together as possible? That way you could carry on with the job on a part-time basis.

Good luck with the interview! I know they're scary things, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
              Is there any way you can start taking classes and keep the job?

Also, talk with your boss and other management about this. You work for an educator. I would think that they would be very supportive of you continuing your education. They may even have other ideas and suggestions for you.

Good luck.
              There is absolutely no way I can continue the job and go to university at the same time. The course is five days a week, and four of those I am on a work placement, so it doesn't leave any time for the job.

I am all up for defering my entry a year, but I have applied for post-graduate stuff so it depends if they allow it.

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
                Today, I got a letter from an excellent university, offering me an interview. This university was not my first choice, because I honestly believed they would never take me. I got the letter today.
                "You miss 100% of the shots you don't make" or something. Good job though. Wooo!
                *Ring* *Ring*
                M: *Workplace Name*, Ryan speaking.
                C: Hello Peter, is Ryan there?
                M: This is Ryan.

Comment

Could you talk to your current boss? They may be willing to have a position for you after you graduate, since they really like you there.
                  "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

If i were you, i'd just go to the interview. Don't worry about it until you hear from them either, as someone else stated.

The worst they could say is no, and you're where you were before. The best case is they say yes you can join, but you can still turn it down if you want to. You are in complete control.

You have nothing to lose by going to the interview. And you still have nothing to lose if you choose to say no to them. You had made up your mind before, and you were happy. This is just a hiccup in that road. Whatever you make of it is going to be for the better.

I can't see you losing at all.
                    I can only please one person a day, today isn't your day, and tomorrow doesn't look good either.

When someone asks you a stupid question, give them a stupid answer.

Comment

So I had the interview today, and it went okay. It wasn't amazing, but I believe it went fine. There were a lot of terrified looking people going in for interviews. One girl was on the verge of tears when she came out she got that stressed out.

I don't find out for another three weeks, as they are interviewing until then, but I have learned that there are only FOUR places, and there are hundreds of applicants. So we shall see...

Comment

I am glad to hear it went ok.

On the plus side, if you don't get it, you still have a job. Also, I bet the interview was nowhere near as stressful as a shift at the pub!
                        "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                          I am glad to hear it went ok.

On the plus side, if you don't get it, you still have a job. Also, I bet the interview was nowhere near as stressful as a shift at the pub!
                          Haha you got that right! It was like a day at the beach in comparison!

Comment

I'm glad you went to the interview. Now you have no chance of playing the "what if" game.

As i stated before, you are pretty much at a win, win situation. Good luck with whatever it is that may cross your path. Lady luck is still shinning on you.
                            I can only please one person a day, today isn't your day, and tomorrow doesn't look good either.

When someone asks you a stupid question, give them a stupid answer.

Comment

Working...
                            X