This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I don't see any 'No Smoking' signs!"

We don't actually have any "No Smoking" signs up, but we're a supermarket.. The other day this guy was at the SCO while his wife was scanning he lit up a cigar! His wife was about ready to pay when I noticed (someone complained about the smell).

Me: Sir, you can't smoke in here.
    SC: Why, I don't see any signs!
    ME: This is a grocery store you can't smoke in here. It's store policy.
    SC: Well I'm not putting this out! Do you know how much these cost!?
    SCW: Lets just go (she'd finished bagging).
    SC: Fine, I hate this place anyway.
    Mon aƩroglisseur est plein des anguilles!"

Quoth alphaboi
    We don't actually have any "No Smoking" signs up, but we're a supermarket...

I'm a smoker. Don't like it and keep trying to quit but I keep going back to the nasty things.

People like that jerk make me look bad and I resent it. I'd like to apologize to on behalf of all of us considerate smokers. Most of us are not like that at all.

Comment

Isn't it against the law to smoke inside some public places in parts of the country?

Comment

What a child.

Comment

Quoth DerangedHermit
          Isn't it against the law to smoke inside some public places in parts of the country?
          Yes. In many places, its against the law to smoke outside by doors as well.

I disagree with these laws because they impact property owners. If I owned a business, it should be my decision to allow smoking or not. If I choose to allow smoking, non-smokers can choose to visit my establishment or not. If I choose to not allow smoking, smokers can go somewhere else if they want. Its my business and my customer base. If my bad decisions make my customers go elsewhere, its my fault. Its just not right for the government to make these decisions for me.

That being said...I never light up indoors unless I see ashtrays on the tables AND other people smoking. I don't stand just outside the door and smoke. I don't take that last puff while I'm walking in the door and then exhale when I'm inside. A little consideration goes a long way.

As a side note, even when I'm not smoking, I always ask for seating in the smoking section. I hate trying to enjoy a meal and conversation with brats running all over and screaming. Not so many of them in the smoking sections.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone
            That being said...I never light up indoors unless I see ashtrays on the tables AND other people smoking. I don't stand just outside the door and smoke. I don't take that last puff while I'm walking in the door and then exhale when I'm inside. A little consideration goes a long way.
            Exactly! Thank you for that...if more smokers behaved that way I wouldn't have to dread coming in and out of work every day.

Comment

It's a simple matter of them being the center of the universe. They get to do what they want to do, when they want to do it and you be damned. That's the only explanation for, "Well, I'm going to light up this big cigar here in the grocery store, surrounded by other people who may or may not smoke, and who may in fact be deathly allergic to tobacco smoke. I paid good money for this cigar and by gum I want everyone to see me smoking it, and I do not, repeat not want them, in their resentment, to picture me performing the sex act that having this kind of thing in one's mouth suggests. If your food and clothing end up smelling like cigar, that's just too darn bad because I paid a lot of money for this. After we leave, I'm going to go light up another one at the methane gas power plant just because I'm entitled, so if your lights suddenly go out and you see a mushroom cloud on the horizon, you'd better remember that I paid good money for this cigar and that gives me the right to light up anywhere, anytime, anyhow, and beans to you, buster."
              Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth Dawnchaser
                Exactly! Thank you for that...if more smokers behaved that way I wouldn't have to dread coming in and out of work every day.
                I used to smoke by the doors. Its really not a matter of rudeness, that is where the ashtrays are and most smokers are trained to smoke by ashtrays.

It took a non-smoker to quietly complain about walking through the smoke on her way to work to make me question my actions.

I wonder if your workplace could move the ashtrays away from the doors? Us smokers aren't the smartest people in the world (if we were smart, we wouldn't smoke, would we?), and usually just assume that ashtrays mean "smoke here".

Comment

Quoth alphaboi
                  Good News! There's no sign saying I can't take that lit cigar from you and shove it up your ass, either!
                  "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!"

Comment

Quoth JuniorMintz
                    Good News! There's no sign saying I can't take that lit cigar from you and shove it up your ass, either!
                    Where was the Rule #1 warning?!?!?

Comment

Slightly off topic but...my ex always was and still is considerate in that because I don't smoke, he tries not to smoke around me, and if he NEEDS to fire one up, he'll ask, and open windows, etc.
                      I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth JuniorMintz
                        If only we couldnt get fired for saying things like that.
                        "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Anonymous

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." - Dr. House

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone
                          Yes. In many places, its against the law to smoke outside by doors as well.

I disagree with these laws because they impact property owners. If I owned a business, it should be my decision to allow smoking or not. If I choose to allow smoking, non-smokers can choose to visit my establishment or not. If I choose to not allow smoking, smokers can go somewhere else if they want. Its my business and my customer base. If my bad decisions make my customers go elsewhere, its my fault. Its just not right for the government to make these decisions for me.
                          I disagree because second hand smoke can cause serious health complications, thus making it a health care issure, thus making it a government issue.

Slightly more on topic, has this customer never been in a grocery store before? Um....duh there's no smoking in there. Just like there's no smoking in hospitals. Moron.

Comment

In the supermarket where I worked, we had signs up everywhere that said, "Thank you for not smoking." One of my coworkers pointed that out to a customer who was smoking in the store, and the customer insisted that the signs didn't say he couldn't smoke, they were just asking him not to, and he didn't have to agree to that, and therefore, could smoke if he wanted.

I wonder if he's the jackass who's responsible for my "Something's Burning" story.
                            Sometimes life is altered.
                            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                            Uneasy with confrontation.
                            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth chantal
                              I disagree because second hand smoke can cause serious health complications, thus making it a health care issure, thus making it a government issue.
                              I fully agree that second hand smoke can cause serious health problems. I also agree that government supported facilities should be smoke free. What I disagree with is that Big Brother has the ability to tell a private business owner how s/he should run her business.

If you don't like smoke in a popular bar, you can just go down the street and drink in a non-smoking bar. Don't like smokers in a certain eating establishment? Eat somewhere else.

Life is sometimes hard and I understand that you don't want to breath my second-hand smoke. So, please stay out of establishments that allow smoking.

If enough people boycott an establishment due to smokers the owner(s) will make their establishment smoke free. Free markets are a good thing IMO.

I don't eat meat. I don't demand that everyone around me stops eating meat so that my dining experience is flawless. I just go to places that don't serve meat and possibly contaminate my food with blood.

Slightly more on topic, has this customer never been in a grocery store before? Um....duh there's no smoking in there. Just like there's no smoking in hospitals. Moron.
                              I totally agree with this. Its been at least 15 years since I've shopped in a grocery store that allows smoking. Moron needs to get with the times.

Comment

Working...
                              X