Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of my kids has been asking for zhu zhu pets since early October, so thankfully I got them early. I had to go on the morning of truck day at TRU to get them, but that's better than waiting in line any day of the week!

Mindflex is supposedly another hot toy, hard to find at retail prices.http://mindflexgames.com/

Comment

• Quoth Chromatix View Post
      May I recommend "James May's Toy Stories"?
      I second that - watched the first 4 episodes last night and it's a great show.

B
      "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
      I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

• Quoth Hello Kitty View Post
        One of my kids has been asking for zhu zhu pets since early October, so thankfully I got them early. I had to go on the morning of truck day at TRU to get them, but that's better than waiting in line any day of the week!

Mindflex is supposedly another hot toy, hard to find at retail prices.http://mindflexgames.com/
        ugh. you're right. mindflex is impossible to get too. but seriously, it's not that amazing. "floating" a ball through an obstacle course with your mind? How long before it gets old, just like everything else?

Comment

• Quoth Food Lady View Post
          You are adorable. I have a mental picture of you playing with your Legos on the basement floor, but as a grownup.
          What's wrong with playing with Legos as a grownup? There could be far worse things to spend your time on.

I already plan to build a LEGO village and put it on display once I finally break my massive bin of bricks from storage.
          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

• My family didn't do many fads.

I got on the pog craze late.
            One sister had a Giga-Pet that she lost interest in. Another sister and I took turns trying to make the thing sick.
            Since my parents refused to get us video game systems, I asked for (and got) a Tiger toy one year and a computer game (Myst, at full original price) another year.
            We occasionally asked for Barbies, but didn't care which ones.
            I got myself a Wii, but it was a year and a half after release.

My parents had us write lists for Santa instead of asking for just one thing, with the explanation that Santa would pick one of the items from our lists to surprise us. This gave my parents an "out" so they wouldn't feel like they had to choose between rushing for a fad toy and trying to explain to us why Santa decided to bring a plain ol' teddy bear instead of Teddy Ruxpin.

Thankfully my own children are still too young to get hooked on fads, plus we don't get television channels right now so my toddler doesn't see commercials. We recently ordered The Very Hungry Caterpillar with plush toy from Amazon for our baby, and my toddler saw it and was cooing over the toy. When I asked her a day or two later what she wanted Santa to bring her, she replied, "A caterpillar toy, like (Baby)." I'll worry about lists for when she's old enough to understand that Santa won't bring her everything on them.
            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

• Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
              I already plan to build a LEGO village and put it on display once I finally break my massive bin of bricks from storage.
              That's what I plan on doing...when I get the basement cleaned up. Right now, there are MG upholstery bits (mainly carpets, but the rear seat too) on the workbench, and just clutter all over the place. Most of my Legos were stored in 5-gallon drums, or plastic boxes, which have been carefully hidden in the closet. But, when I finally get the basement cleaned up...my Lego city will rise again!

Still bugs the hell out of me that I can't get more track for the Lego trains, and that my Santa Fe F unit literally towers over the rest of my railroad equipment.
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

• Just to jump back to a different tangent for a moment -- specifically the one about tickets...

When the Saints came back to the Dome for their first home game vs Atlanta after the big K, my brother came to town in search of tickets. He couldn't get any in advance, so he brought a sign with him to the venue offering "money, pizza coupons and first born child for Saints tix" (he is GM of a pizza joint)...He still has the newspaper article that mentioned it somewhere around his house ~_~

One of the people *ahem* re-selling tix outside was laughing so hard at the sign that he sold my brother tix for the actual base value printed on them (rather than 3-5x their value) ^_^

And no, he never had to part with the kid
                Last edited by EricKei; 11-25-2009, 04:49 PM.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
                  it just boggles my mind. i can kinda imagine corporate heads cackling and rubbing their hands together..."yesss...mass riots yess...we feed on the hysteria....the workers fear is like candy...muahahahaah!!"
                  They do feed on the hysteria, and it's disgusting. Because they advertise that not getting whatever stupid thing at whatever price is somehow going to ruin the holidays and make you a bad parent/sibling/child/etc to ensure that as many gullible vidiots who worship the boob tube will show up and spend money at their establishments.

I'm not even sure I've ever bought anything on the Friday after Thanksgiving outside of just random shopping like I do any other day of the year.
                  Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                  (I was looking for the Ecto-1 ornament that Hallmark released this year.
                  Gee... why does that not surprise me.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

• Hm. I think the only fad I was into was Beanie Babies, still have 3 boxes worth in the garage. I also have a Cabbage Patch doll somewhere, I have no idea where and I never played with her anyway. Oh! Holiday Barbies! I used to have a collection of them going for several years, then they stopped them. They've recently started again.

Someone refresh my memory-was K'Nex ever a fad? Oh I LOVE those things so much, they are awesome. "May Cee Boore" craft stores have them and I might need to buy myself one kit, since my brother's one is hidden in the deepest recesses of the garage.
                    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

• Expensive fad and probably pretty local but I still have my pool table from when all my friends were getting one.

Actually I just recently bought it off my little brother who got it when our dad passed.

Comment

• Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                        What's wrong with playing with Legos as a grownup? There could be far worse things to spend your time on. I already plan to build a LEGO village and put it on display once I finally break my massive bin of bricks from storage.
                        I didn't say there was anything wrong with it at all. That post was about how I like Protege's willingness to embrace hios inner child. It's a good quality to have.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• Another fad I remember going nuts over was Magic the Gathering when it was introduced back in 1992 (or 93?) and we would scour the Metro Detroit area for comic stores, hobby shops or whatever else would sell them. I remember finding a bookstore that carried them. It was pretty cool. I think after selling a few cards, I might have broke even.

Comment

• Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                            Another fad I remember going nuts over was Magic the Gathering
                            A friend of mine forgot his deck and when I tried to give them back he said I could keep them for now he suddenly wanted them back when I figured out how to win in very few rounds with his deck.

Comment

• Some of you guys probably already know it, but this seems appropriate

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/11/25/
                              Last edited by Broomjockey; 11-26-2009, 03:23 PM. Reason: replaced with permanent URL, removed copyrighted material

Comment

• I love Lego.

And I can't build anything but walls and houses.

But I don't own any. The kids have a ton, and I can play with them anytime I want.

They build elaborate shit 'cause they're awesome that way. Both of them amaze me with the stuff they come up with.

The amount of willpower it takes to NOT take any sets they get and build them all myself is huge. It will be a very Lego Christmas. Maybe. heh If it weren't 100ish dollars, I'd totally buy them this set. And then I'd steal the Ewoks, and they'd be all mine...

I know that there are usually black friday deals regarding Lego, at places like TRU and whatnot, but...yeah, my kids can wait. Plus, I'll be at work, where we don't sell lego.

Related: I have had customers ask me where the lego section is. Apparently telling them "Walmart" isn't an appropriate answer.
                                Last edited by simplyanother; 11-26-2009, 03:14 PM.
                                you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

Working...
                                X