This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth MoonCat View Post
    Her laptop is definitely picking up MY network, not the neighbor's. I gave it a specific name when the guy from the late-not-so-great-Circuit-City set up my equipment.

BTW, I tried to Google an answer to all this a while ago, and I couldn't make heads or tails out of what I found. Too much tech-speak, contradictory info, stuff from years go (2005, 2003!) that I figured would be too out of date...What you guys are telling me makes more sense and is basically understandable.
    Ok. You have a special name for your network. Mooncatwireless.
    Your sister's machine "sees" it. She can't connect?
    Have your sister tried connecting to the router by CABLE first to make sure she can get out with a wired card? (just unplug the one from router to your puter. You then have her plugged into router. ) Test that. FIRST thing to do after router to her lappy is to open browser (IE or FF). Clear cache and cookies. (Firefox. Main menu on FF. History menu. Clear all history. Dump it.) Check a bunch of different websites after the cookie dump. Like CNN, icanhascheezburgers, all that stuff that are known good websites.
    Ok. So, can surf with wires. Kosher. Good good.

So why can't she get on the wireless network? That's the next question. Plug the cable back into your puter. Router-cable-your machine.
    You need to get into the interface to change setup inside the wireless settings. It could be she's not authorized with no password, the security settings are tight, the broadcast protocol doesn't match...many reasons.

This is where you go get the manual and help from ISP to get into the damn thing.
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

...and still no model name and/or number of the equipment? Not passwords, not serial numbers, just what type of equipment please.

At the moment what you say your sister can do/see doesn't tie up with what the ISP says you need. Without knowing what the equipment is, we'll just be guessing what's going on.

Comment

Oh yes, sorry, forgot about that.

Agere Systems HDA SB4100 cable modem
        Linksys Wireless-G broadband router model WRTG2V1
        Windows Vista Home Premium
        AMD Turion 64X2 mobile technology, 32 bit operating system
        (Windows version 6.0, build 6002: service pack 2)

Der Cute, it could be just a matter of a password. She can use WiFi at the coffee shop using their password, maybe that's all that's missing here. In that case I'm stumped because I don't think I ever set one up for my computer.

Anyway, let me know what else you need to know, and sorry if this feels like teaching a caveman how to use a stylus. Never had a need to know a lot of this stuff before.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

@ Mooncat - she might be able to see other networks, but I want to be anal-retentive here and make sure there is full network access from that puter. Period.
          Ok. I copied your router's name/model. Pasted that into Google. Got the page for that model/make from linksys. ( http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/wrt54gs )

Then I clicked on the FAQ tab in the middle of that page. Looking through the FAQs I see a "Checking wireless settings"
          Ya gotta get IN the router to even CHECK setups. use this http://bit.ly/w2DqKf

So to check wireless settings, use this http://bit.ly/zgg7Pi

You need to make sure her puter can get on the net. Period.
          Get into the web interface of the router.
          Once in the web interface, check the wireless settings. It WILL most likely be a password. BUT you need to check.

Comment

If she can see the network, but can't connect, is she typing in the password properly?
            Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

Something else to consider.. is that Linksys Wireless router used or new? If used, how old? Did you use it yet or buy it used but never messed with it?

I ask because there may be a password already set on the wireless router. Other devices may "see" the network being broadcast by the Linksys, but if the network is password-protected and nobody knows the password, a hard reset may be in order.

To do a hard reset, look at the back of the router and there should be a pinhole somewhere marked "reset". Use the end of a pen, pencil, or un-bent paper clip, then insert it into the hole and hold it there for about 10 seconds. Wait a few minutes, then open a new web browser window and then try typing 192.168.1.1.

-----------------

A heads up for what's to come.. I encourage you to use two passwords on your router: one for network access (so your sister can connect), and another for router access (so you can go in and make changes). Here's why:

Let's say I'm using an iPod Touch while taking a walk around the neighborhood, and while scanning for networks I see one that's unsecured (password not required to join). I touch "connect", and after a few seconds I can browse the internet using the iPod Touch. I can go into Settings, check the network stats, and it will show me the IP address of the router I'm connecting to, which can be 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1 or the like. I simply type those numbers into Safari or whatever web browser app I'm using on the iPod Touch, and if the router isn't protected by a password, I can go in and make changes. I can remotely have that router block all web access, certain sites, set access to certain times, even put a password on it myself and block out the owner from doing anything (unless the owner presses the reset button), all without physically having to touch the unit.

Comment

Her sis might have an old password, or I've had a router tell me the A password is not available for you, use the B password. (odd, but has happened).

So get into the web interface and we'll go from there. ok?

Comment

You know the saying "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"?

While looking at the router set up page, wireless settings, etc, I somehow managed to disconnect from the internet. Couldn't get it back no matter what I did. Had to reset the router.

Trying to figure out what I'd done, I think I somehow disabled my network security setting, thus my computer wouldn't reconnect to it because it was unsecured and the machine is set up to only use a secure network. Honestly, I shouldn't be allowed near a computer....other than the super easy stuff anyway.

Well, my sister can now access my network and get online, but I don't want to leave it unsecured.

Hope I've provided you all a good LOL for the week...
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Ok, all you have to do is secure the router and the network. There should be a page for Security; one setting is to put a password on the network and one should be for a password on the router.

I recommend setting a password on the network first(Authentication type: WPA2-PSK, Encryption type: AES). Create a long password with a combination of uppercase letters, lowercase letters and numbers, then click the on-screen button that says "Save changes" and "Apply", if there is a button for "Apply". When you do this, you'll be disconnected from the network now that there is a password set on it. Search for networks using the windows utility, you should see the network name appear, then you can connect to it and enter the password you created.

Lastly, go back into settings and create a name for the network (a simple name should do, like "DD-WRT" or "MoonCat"), set a password for it so that only you will be able to know this and access the router, then click the on-screen button that says "Save changes" and "Apply", if there is a button for "Apply".

Comment

Working...
                    X