Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm torn...I feel like I'm passing up an opportunity here...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm torn...I feel like I'm passing up an opportunity here...

Ok, here's the situation. Right now I have a relatively stable job at a solid company. I've been here just a bit over a year.

I'm passively looking, in that I'm willing to listen to recruiters/employers, and kind of see what happens.

The problem is, I've recently been contacted by a company that ticked several of my checkboxes under "company I wouldn't mind working for".

It would (mostly) be remote work. Let's say the Company is ABC Tech.

The problems I see are potentially:

1. I would be working for ABC Tech, but ABC Tech is a "consulting" company. So though I would be working for ABC Tech, the work I would be doing would be for other companies.

2. My current home Internet (which I'm working on updating) is super slow.

3. Skills. I may not have enough of a skill set. I don't know.

There may be others, but the positives I see are:

1. The job seems mostly remote (i.e. I can work from home).

2. It seems to pay pretty darn well. In fact, I could potentially get almost a 46% raise over what I currently make.

3. In lieu of a bonus, the owner of the company (who I talked to) said he likes to give people "what they want". I'm assuming that means up to a certain amount, but basically instead of giving me a bonus of, say, $1,000, I might get to pick out an expensive watch, or maybe a guitar, that the company would pay for.

This kind of seems like one of those "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" things.

Of course, he did say that he'd keep me in mind, and for me to contact him if I wanted to make a move.

I feel like I'm missing an opportunity here. But at the same time, I almost feel like, to a point, it's "safe" to stay where I am.

But at the same time, sometimes risks have to be taken.

Thoughts?
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

What is the worst case scenario? You take the job. It doesn't work out. You have to go job hunting again.

If that scares you, then stay at your current job.

If it doesn't, go for it.

One thing to keep in mind, the whole issue is moot until you get a job offer. Get an interview. If nothing else, it is good practice.

Good luck!
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Definitely do some background research on this company. If it sounds a little bit too good to be true, well...
      Last edited by EricKei; 06-26-2018, 02:21 AM.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        Definitely do some background research on this company. If it sounds a little bit too good to be true, well...
        I second this. Try Glassdoor or something. I'd want to know more about this company before I jumped ship for them.
        Last edited by EricKei; 06-26-2018, 02:21 AM. Reason: ninja edit
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Would taking this job potentially break some kind of "anti compete" clause type of thing??
          Do you have any holidays saved up - could you take holidays, work for this other company for a couple of weeks to see how it goes before you stay put or jump ship??

Comment

Quoth Shannarah View Post
            Would taking this job potentially break some kind of "anti compete" clause type of thing??
            Not to my knowledge, no.

Do you have any holidays saved up - could you take holidays, work for this other company for a couple of weeks to see how it goes before you stay put or jump ship??
            I do have vacation days saved up, but I don't think that's the way to go.
            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
            X