Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seriously...we're NOT a donut shop, ffs! And other moments of note...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously...we're NOT a donut shop, ffs! And other moments of note...

The past few days have been fairly frustrating, and I really have to wonder how so many people can mistake the Golden Arches for Tim Horton's. Today alone I was chewed out because...1) we don't have our donuts on display, despite the fact that we don't even SELL/STOCK donuts, 2) don't have hazelnut shots for our coffee, and 3) don't have four cheese bagels.

Oh, and in the past few days I've had sucktomers give me shit for not having a pot of tea on because we should be selling steeped tea. I told one missus that she really needs to figure out where she is because she's not in a Tim Horton's.

Thursday afternoon we had some guy try to scam us out of about $60 in food, but what he didn't realize is that the manager he ended up dealing with had already refunded him the previous night at a different store in the chain. For the same food he was trying to claim there was hair all through. Same complaint as the night before. He got his refund the night before, but the manager stood her ground because she clearly remembered this guy, and she also knew that none of us had served him Thursday so she knew there was something up. She told him point blank that if he could provide a receipt for that day showing the food that he was claiming was screwed up that she would happily refund him, but until then she wasn't budging. I have to admit that I was impressed at her display of backbone!

CoC moment: I started at 6:30 this morning but got to work at about 6:05 so that I could eat something before I started my shift. There was a person who started at 6:00 so I figured that there'd be coffee started and stuff on the way to being stocked...but I should have known better. I had to tell the 6am starter that she had to get coffee on the go and get stocking instead of standing behind her register doing nothing, that coffee didn't just suddenly appear and neither did the cups and lids that she was going to need. The opening manager nodded and thanked me for lighting the fire under the girl because when the manager tried to get the girl to do something all she got was a stunned look. Like, it's seriously not that difficult to understand that you need to make coffee so that you can serve it to the customers...right? Right? You can't wait until the next person starts for them to make coffee, especially when we open the lobby to the public at 6am and the next person in starts at 6:30.

Opening kitchen

I used to open the kitchen at a local Arby's.

When I first started I was doing three days a week, that soon expanded to five days a week but I refuse to expansion to me working 7 days a week (it even was against company rules.).

I wondered why at first, but then I started opening on Monday after the others had taken the kitchen on the weekend. WHAT A MESS.

It turns out that getting good help that will do a good job every time is hard to find. There are lots young people looking for jobs, and most of them will do a fair job, but over time it is hard to keep the standards up (especially is management is cheap in supplies).

Too many companies do not realize how important good employees are.

Comment

I never got asked for donuts but when I worked at a McD's people would try to order a whopper, thinking they were funny. This got the same response from us as the old "then it must be free".

Boy, not having coffee ready at opening, that could get you tar and feathered. We had a group of seniors that would come every morning at 5 and order their discount coffees. Don't get between a 70 year old man and his morning joe, let me tell you.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post

Too many companies do not realize CARE how important good employees are.
        Fixed that for ya.

Comment

When I was just vacationing with my family in Spain, the second week we were in a rented apartment. I got serious thanks from my family for having the coffee ready by the time everyone else woke up!

Comment

CyberLurch is right. They don't care about the workers, we are just drones who can be moved or replaced.

A few months ago, there was a mandatory survey about how we felt about work. The response to "Would you recommend people work here because it is a good job?" 49% strongly disagreed, 7& disagreed and the others just pleaded the 5th.

Comment

I open at my animal hospital a few mornings a week. The first hour is me flying around stocking rooms with supplies, starting a mop bucket, starting the laundry, etc. Flying, flying, flying. Turning on lab machines. On mornings when other people open, I have noticed that the rooms don't get stocked in the first hour. Depending on how early the tech appointments start and how slow the other person is in getting around to stocking, they may stock the rooms mid-day, or they may not get to it at all.

Which isn't the best, because the rooms don't have a ton of space in which to put stuff, and there IS a ton of supplies needing to be in the rooms so I find myself in a room with a Dr and the client and their potentially super nervous pet, and 'oops' we have no X, or Y. (run out and get some) and oops, we have no Z either. (Dammit...)

Comment

Working...
              X