This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old coins (fun one)

Some backstory: Australia used to have 1 and 2 cent coins. They were phased out years ago (old ones were used in the medals at the 2000 Olypics). They're not produced any more but are still legal tender. For cash transactions, 1 and 2 cents round down to the nearest 10, 3 and 4 round up to 5, 6 and 7 round down to 5 and 8 and 9 round up to 10.

Customer got $50.04 of fuel. He handed me $50.05 and jokingly asked for his 1 cent change. I gave him a 1 cent coin that appeared next to the register three days ago. We all had a laugh.

No penny type coins? I'm there.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
      Customer got $50.04 of fuel. He handed me $50.05 and jokingly asked for his 1 cent change. I gave him a 1 cent coin that appeared next to the register three days ago. We all had a laugh.
      Nice..
      Closest I've seen to old money in my store has been that first Plastic $5 Note from 1992, that was orange and like a skin colour rather then the pink colour it is today.. nothing else though. Still find it quite amazing that you can still cash them in at the bank if you wish. And yes, their are no pennies and the like here.. we did end up surviving without them.
      I've looked at our balance sheet.. and it tends to vary rather wildly as our prices have many different cent intervals (i.e our Telephone Cables for instance are at a certain percentage markup that results in very weird amounts). Some days we are up, some days we are down.. I think over a week we've ended up generally down by about 20c (oh no) due to rounding.

No complaints here, only thing that still bugs me is how huge our 50 Cent coin is.. pain to hold many of them.
      Last edited by Boochan; 03-31-2008, 11:43 AM.
      - Boochan

Comment

American money is so freaking boring. It's shit green. ALL of it (not coins, they're just metal colors). They are starting to add shiny pretty colors now, but still not nearly as cool as foreign currency.
        "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Quoth NightWatch View Post
          American money is so freaking boring. It's shit green. ALL of it (not coins, they're just metal colors). They are starting to add shiny pretty colors now, but still not nearly as cool as foreign currency.
          The new $5 bills are pretty cool.

Comment

I hate it when someone comes in with american money. I have to actually check the damn bill's number to see what it is. I love canada's coloured money. Makes things so much easier.

Comment

Quoth Raieth View Post
              I hate it when someone comes in with american money. I have to actually check the damn bill's number to see what it is. I love canada's coloured money. Makes things so much easier.
              Honestly, most of us have just gotten used to sorting bills by which president is on em.

Though I did get one of the new $5 bills for the first time last week... I had to stop for a second and look for the "this is legal tender" writing on it. At first I thought it was some weird monopoly-type money. lol
              <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Quoth Raieth View Post
                Agreed! When I was in NYC I had to scrutinize my money to make sure I was using proper amounts, rather than just looking at the colour.
                I also hate American money only because of the people who use it at my work.
                9/10 of them don't courteously ask if we accept it and just assume that we do and hand it over like they would Canadian money, which is something I find intensely rude.
                Especially seeing as when I was last in Buffalo me and my friend hadn't changed our money because we were only going to be there for a few hours and weren't expecting to spend any. He asked the waitress at the restaurant if they accepted Canadian money at face value (at the time the Canadian dollar was above the American) and the waitress said, and I quote, "Uhhh, no. This is America. If you want to use Canadian money use it in Canada."
                She said it in such a rude way me and my friends were all taken aback by her audacity. Whenever she came over to check on us she got ignored by everyone except me.
                I just can't help myself from saying please and thank you, even when someone has been rude to me. Stupid proper upbringing! *fist shake*
                In the end the bitch (and that's explaining her attitude lightly) got a 5cent tip. A CANADIAN 5cent tip.
                Last edited by rerant; 03-31-2008, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
                  Honestly, most of us have just gotten used to sorting bills by which president is on em.
                  Even funnier though cuz the highest common tendered bill ($100) has Ben Franklin on it, and he was never Prez. Personally I think Washington should be on the $100, not the $1 & .25c.
                  "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

Hey Hat - how are you with NZ or Solomon Islands coins?

I found out the other day that the drink machine here won't accept the SI coins! Weird (but then - I didn't think it would - it weighed a bit less).

But what's really funny, is working in a servo, and having Indian employees look at such a coin (1 or 2c) and wonder what it is :P

(for the non-south pacific readers here - New Zealand and Solomon Island coins are almost identical to Australian coins - so we tend to see a few around here, and they tend to be used as normal coinage - though legally, they're not).
                    When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                      Especially seeing as when I was last in Buffalo me and my friend hadn't changed our money because we were only going to be there for a few hours and weren't expecting to spend any. He asked the waitress at the restaurant if they accepted Canadian money at face value (at the time the Canadian dollar was above the American) and the waitress said, and I quote, "Uhhh, no. This is America. If you want to use Canadian money use it in Canada."
                      Yeah, we always get Canadian money from the bank (Pennies, nickels and quarters). Usually we have to set it aside, and throw it away, or keep it, we aren't allowed to use it in transactions. This also counts AGAINST our tills. One day I had a lot of Canadian coins, enough that I was going to be fairly off (For a dollar store), and a guy came in with an accent I didn't fully catch. But, after talking for a few seconds, we got to the payment stage, and he tried to give me a Canadian quarter, I told him I couldn't take that, and he said whoops, lemme get my American money out. The way he said it implied he wasn't from here, and turns out, he's Canadian. I offer him the money I have set aside (Better than throwing it away XD), and he actually buys it off me.

So, my tills not off, the "Evil" Canadian money is going to be put too good use, and I had a nice customer. Twas a great day for all.

Note: Something I've always wondered, did canadian money copy ours, we copy them, we (Us and them) copy someone else, or did it just happen by chance? They look too similar for coincidence.
                      I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
                      In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

Quoth Tee View Post
                        Note: Something I've always wondered, did canadian money copy ours, we copy them, we (Us and them) copy someone else, or did it just happen by chance? They look too similar for coincidence.
                        Not sure. Canadian money has gone through some changes over the years and I'm liking the new money a lot better.

Old and busted:

New hotness:

Those stripes down the left sides are holographic strips. In the picture the 5's and 10's don't have the strips, but now they do.
                        Our new money has a crazy amount of security features on it.

One thing I don't like about American money is we don't get a lot of training on the security features short of, "Hold it up to the light and look for the strip," which doesn't do much.
                        I also really wish American money would react under blacklight like ours does, though maybe the new bills do and I'm just not aware of it.

I think the Americans have just gotten the hint that differently coloured money is just a good idea overall. I'm sure no one copied anyone, but the US just got the hint that all green is ugly.
                        Last edited by rerant; 03-31-2008, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                          Agreed! When I was in NYC I had to scrutinize my money to make sure I was using proper amounts, rather than just looking at the colour.
                          I also hate American money only because of the people who use it at my work.
                          9/10 of them don't courteously ask if we accept it and just assume that we do and hand it over like they would Canadian money, which is something I find intensely rude.
                          She said it in such a rude way me and my friends were all taken aback by her audacity. Whenever she came over to check on us she got ignored by everyone except me.
                          I just can't help myself from saying please and thank you, even when someone has been rude to me. Stupid proper upbringing! *fist shake*
                          In the end the bitch (and that's explaining her attitude lightly) got a 5cent tip. A CANADIAN 5cent tip.
                          That was one rude waitress. People like her give good waitstaff bad names.

I would always take Canadian money at face value; even now. I collect foreign currency as a hobby so at the end of any of my shifts I would just trade out the canadian for american and take my new stash home (always called pirate money by my co-workers). I plan on visiting Canada one day and would like to avoid going to a bank of transfer my money into Canadian currency. Just one less thing I would have to do is all.
                          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

New coins:

http://blimptv.blogspot.com/2007/12/new-bush-coins.html
                            "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

GAH! Not Bush coins!

*these coins will not be going into my collection*

I feel I must shower repeatedly now.
                              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Working...
                              X