This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The curse of the neverending surveys

It seems like twice a year like clockwork, management sends out a survey for all us peons to fill out that basically asks what we'd like them to do to make it more enjoyable to work here.

Then, they proceed to ignore EVERY SINGLE SUGGESTION we make.

Why send all these surveys out if you don't give a shit about them? Is this just a way of justifying someones job? Or is this some lame trick to make us think they're "Trying to improve things"?

We all see through this crap and there's a reason my personal survey feedback has gotten more terse each and every time these stupid things go out.

I wish I could just ignore them but unfortunately they are mandatory.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Me boss does something similar. He send out a survey to the department asking how he is doing. He then tabulates the result and denies every criticism.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

My guess -- Higher-ups owners make them send the surveys and are then stupid enough to let the managers "condense and collate" the surveys themselves. Any criticism never reaches the right people.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

The company I work for likes these surveys too. They keep saying to be honest because they are completely anonymous, yet the very first question you get after clicking the link they send (everyone gets their own link) says "The link you have clicked indicates you are in XXX department. Is this correct?" On top of that, they stood up in a meeting and said how happy they were that so many people had filled out the surveys, they put up a graph showing how many people from each department and each branch had filled it out.
        I never fill it out and I always get called into the bosses office to explain why I hadn't yet. I tell them that it's not anonymous. They tell me it is and then get tongue tied when I ask "Then how do you know I didn't fill it out?"

Comment

Oh right, the surveys they make you take where they pretend to care about the working environment so you won't go to a union to make them care about the working environment. Toward the end of my time at the swamp I got forced to take those.

Absolutely nothing changed.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
            They tell me it is and then get tongue tied when I ask "Then how do you know I didn't fill it out?"
            I had this conversation with my boss. He uses Survey Monkey. You give them that list of email addresses. They track who returns it (and send reminders to those that have not completed it), but do not show who gave what answers.

If you constantly checked who responded and the tallies, you could figure it out. It will take a lot of work.

Still, without access to the original survey request, how can you be sure that they asked for an anonymous survey?
            Save the Ales!

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              Oh right, the surveys they make you take where they pretend to care about the working environment so you won't go to a union to make them care about the working environment. Toward the end of my time at the swamp I got forced to take those.

Absolutely nothing changed.
              The funny thing is Irv that at my job, we ARE Union. So even that's enough to stop this stupidity.
              "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                IIf you constantly checked who responded and the tallies, you could figure it out. It will take a lot of work.
                It is harder when you use an outside company to run a survey. My company runs it inhouse. They have the head of the IT department set it up and send it out. We know they are tracking the IP if every computer that sends it in. They just seem to think that we don't know this, even though they have told us in the past that they do track IPs (they like to send out phishing emails to see who will click on links they have been told never to click on.)

Comment

In house? Anonymous my ass!
                  Save the Ales!

Comment

My pizza franchise does "culture surveys" not just surveys Ya know the standard stuff: rate your manglement, rate your co-irkers, how could this job be made better, suggestions, etc.

Every one takes the survey on the same office PC. Any survey that starts out with you having to input (even IF it is to some 3d party survey site) ANY kind of identifying info is NOT anonymous in my book.
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Welcome to the club. We've had these a few times, but they proceed to ignore the suggestions that we make (like upgrading our freaking student management system!)

Comment

Navy got bad with this. Supposedly it was anonymous, but they knew who to hound to get them done. I got 2 one year and then 8 the next 6 months finally I got a 2nd one on sexual harassment that had a write in section. So I put down the CO would pick a woman out of formation and have sex with her in front of all of us and said we were to do the same. Of course this did not happen. But it worked I quit getting them.
                        AkaiKitsune
                        Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

I had a co-worker who was very reluctant to fill in those sorts of "anonymous" surveys, because the place where we worked asked three questions near the start:
                          • What department are you in?
                          • What's your position?
                          • What's your gender?

The combination of the three rather effectively de-anonymized her ("female" and "programmer" would have been nearly as good).
                          "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Just recently we hand one of those surveys going around. I honestly didn't care if they knew it was me who filled it out since it was just printed out and not even on the computer. I just never got around to filling it out. I didn't think it would make a difference anyway.
                            I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Quoth BPFH View Post
                              I had a co-worker who was very reluctant to fill in those sorts of "anonymous" surveys, because the place where we worked asked three questions near the start:
                              • What department are you in?
                              • What's your position?
                              • What's your gender?

The combination of the three rather effectively de-anonymized her ("female" and "programmer" would have been nearly as good).
                              I may or may not have put that I was a transgender Hawaiian Islander with 40 years experience working at the cash registers when I was subjected to the swamp's surveys.
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                              X