This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instead of "Eye of the Tiger" ...

... maybe they should've been playing "Another One Bites the Dust" when we first opened the store ...

People have been bailing (some to new jobs, some not) by the truckload since we opened. Another one walked out yesterday. The story I got -- which of course may or may not be accurate -- is that she could not handle returns and customer service because she has anxiety issues. She was, however, also working with online orders and apparently doing fine with that.

The person she spoke to reportedly called up her job description, showed it to her, and told her to "Suck it up and do your job or leave."

Sooo ... she left.

I commented that, with all the departures, I'm not seeing any new faces. Somebody said our fiscal year ends in February and they want nice low numbers for it, so they're not hiring right now. I looked at my current schedules and realized I'm up to 25-30 hours a week ... this, with no benefits whatsoever.

Very much not impressed.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Quoth Pixelated View Post
    The person she spoke to reportedly called up her job description, showed it to her, and told her to "Suck it up and do your job or leave."
    I gotta be honest, if someone gave me that exact phrasing, I'd likely walk out, too. Especially from a retail job where I can likely just go down the road for the same crappy pay and lack of benefits.

Comment

Another coworker, who also works in Customer Service/Returns, told me tonight that she was never asked if she wanted to go there (she came in as a cashier); she was merely told one day to go over there and start training. She said she'd like to get out, but she'd have to talk to the same person as the recently-departed tried to ... so she's pretty sure what kind of response she'd get.
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Wonder how long before this goes down in flames
        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Is corporate orchestrating a huge tax write off?

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
            Wonder how long before this goes down in flames
            I'm wondering that myself. Occasionally I debate whether to look for another job NOW or just wait until the store (possibly) goes belly-up and then collect unemployment for a year.

Quoth Minflick View Post
            Is corporate orchestrating a huge tax write off?
            Hadn't thought of that ... but it's certainly a possibility.
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Personally, I'd be looking. It's a lot better to move from one job to another, than to have to do the mad search. Plus, there's that whole bit about the longer you're unemployed, the harder prospectives look at you, wondering what's wrong with you.

Of course, the longer you're with this chickens...dung outfit, you're toughening yourself to pain and frustration and lowering your expectations for work enviornments, so ANY place will look like a paradise when you switch.

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
                Personally, I'd be looking. It's a lot better to move from one job to another, than to have to do the mad search. Plus, there's that whole bit about the longer you're unemployed, the harder prospectives look at you, wondering what's wrong with you.
                This, plus if you wait until it goes under there's be all the other employees looking for jobs as well, so there'll be a lot more competition. Go now before the market is flooded!
                "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Duh. Forgot about the competition part of that, which happened to me. Security company that I worked for lost the contract for a site, leaving 25 guards in a mad scramble to find a new site. Since I didn't have any kind of motor vehicle.... whoops.

Comment

You guys are quite right, and I did leave out an important detail: I'm semi-retired. I'm currently receiving advanced Canada Pension and in less than two years now I will qualify for Old Age Security (assuming that's not gone on the chopping block by then ...) and can also apply for something called Guaranteed Income Supplement (ditto that), which is available to low-income seniors. Those are the reasons I'm more than a bit lazy in terms of a job search at the moment.

However ... once I get my hair cut back into something resembling a civilized look, I'm going to start putting out resumes again. I'd really rather not stay here for a year if I don't have to.
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                    X