Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have any of you tried a "ketogenic" diet?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
    I cannot do that diet because I HAVE to have bread and greens.
    Well, yeah, no on the bread mostly, but greens are the perfect food for keto or low carb.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
      Well, yeah, no on the bread mostly, but greens are the perfect food for keto or low carb.
      I adore spinach, with butter and balsamic vinegar which is perfect low carb, high fiber and yummy. I would hate to be our roomie, she is on rat poison and can't do spinach most of the time [clotting issues]

I as a diabetic don't tend to do carby stuff normally, and you get accustomed to the shift, bread is nice but I would rather dig into cream of artichoke soup than have a piece of bread [bag of prepared artichoke bases NOT hearts, dump into sauce pan after chunking, cover with barely enough chicken stock, a tsp of mashed garlic, black or white pepper, some thyme, parsley and summer savory or italian herbs, whatever herb lend you like, simmer til mush, remove from heat and cool, run through food mill or use a stick blender to puree, put back on heat and add just enough heavy cream to thin the texture out to a cream soup. Serve.] The fiber and inulin balance out the carbs and if you love artichokes is damned tasty and filling.
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Arrrgh. I gave up bread (well, 99%) a while back and this is making me hungry for a bread bowl full of thick potato soup from the deli >_>
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'm going to make lowish carb loaded baked potato soup. I'm using some potatoes but cauliflower, too.

Comment

I tried caulitaters...once. I know plenty of folks like them, but I discovered that I am NOT among that number. >__>
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              I tried caulitaters...once. I know plenty of folks like them, but I discovered that I am NOT among that number. >__>
              I suppose that happens. I love a cauli-potato mash so much but I have a hard time digesting the cauliflower. There are remedies I can take; kind of a pain. But I no longer like the potatoes alone. I like it best with a blend of the two.

Comment

My Dr put me on it, I lost about 50lbs before switching to the paleo diet...
                Dr put me back on it yesterday cause I been cheating and gaining weight back.

Sorry doc, but box of 22 corn dogs = $8.50... 3 chicken breasts = $12
                Money's a bit tight rn.

Going to see what I can do... cream cheese in celery, peanut butter in celery, pinwheels, and sugar free jello/heavy whipping cream fat bombs, etc.... gotta check my recipes and go shopping.

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
                  My Dr put me on it, I lost about 50lbs before switching to the paleo diet...
                  Dr put me back on it yesterday cause I been cheating and gaining weight back.

Sorry doc, but box of 22 corn dogs = $8.50... 3 chicken breasts = $12
                  Money's a bit tight rn.

Going to see what I can do... cream cheese in celery, peanut butter in celery, pinwheels, and sugar free jello/heavy whipping cream fat bombs, etc.... gotta check my recipes and go shopping.
                  Learn to make tofu ... the set up is mildly expensiveish, but once you have the pitcher you can make anything from soy milk, any nut or legume milk to tofu to vegan 'cheese'. A bag of soybeans is pretty damned cheap, also.

Tofu requires a little kit, as well as a reagent.

You can find all sorts of interesting recipies online.
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

One interesting thing to look into -- A local deli place does Philly cheesesteak sammiches on "keto friendly" bread -- when I asked what that meant, they said that it was made from parmesan cheese. I shall have to check them out Has anyone tried an alternative bread substitute like this that's keto-approved?

Comment

Oh!That bread is called "fat head" or it's similar to it it.

Comment

Working...
                      X