This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great timing

We have a client constantly doing reconfigurations. While I consider them all to be completely unnecessary, the rational and reasoning are above my pay grade and level of caring, whatever, work is work. But then we get into the timing of when these jobs are scheduled. We have proven with hundreds of other customers that we can work around people and do jobs like this during regular business hours, but they consider it to be too disruptive. Fine, whatever, so we have to do the jobs on weekends. It sucks losing your weekend, but that comes with the job. But it can be any weekend, but no, this assclown doesn't just pick any weekend, nope, these jobs have to be done on the long weekend. Three straight jobs, scheduled right in the middle of three long weekends. I figure this guy has nothing better to do, so he doesn't care if he loses his long weekend, (plus he probably gets double or triple time for doing so). Yeah, great for you buddy, some of us have a life, none of us get paid extra for showing up on a long weekend. Just completely uncaring and selfish.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Pound Sand

Quoth evilhomer View Post
    Three straight jobs, scheduled right in the middle of three long weekends. I figure this guy has nothing better to do, so he doesn't care if he loses his long weekend, (plus he probably gets double or triple time for doing so). Yeah, great for you buddy, some of us have a life, none of us get paid extra for showing up on a long weekend. Just completely uncaring and selfish.
    That was one great thing of where I worked. Generally we did not work on long weekends, if we did we got paid time and a half for a min of four hours no matter how short the job was. And that is just what we got, I am sure my boss charged a lot more if you wanted work on a long weekend.

Comment

Quoth evilhomer View Post
      Yeah, great for you buddy, some of us have a life, none of us get paid extra for showing up on a long weekend.
      That last part is what he is probably unaware of, and within your power to control.
      As in, suggest to your company that these middle-of-a-holiday-weekend jobs are part of why it is so hard to find/keep competent people. Point out to them that bonus pay would go a long way towards mitigating that damage.
      And suggest that in the future they tell that client that installations outside of normal business hours cost 50% more, and installations on holiday weekends cost double.

Maybe even point out that the bonus would not need to equal the increased fee.

Comment

Greed

Quoth SpyOne View Post
        Amazing how much the boss will listen when they see more money in their pocket.

Comment

Quoth SpyOne View Post
          That last part is what he is probably unaware of, and within your power to control.
          As in, suggest to your company that these middle-of-a-holiday-weekend jobs are part of why it is so hard to find/keep competent people. Point out to them that bonus pay would go a long way towards mitigating that damage.
          And suggest that in the future they tell that client that installations outside of normal business hours cost 50% more, and installations on holiday weekends cost double.

No, you see, it is a privilege to work for my company; they are allowing us to show up and earn money. If any worker isn't happy and satisfied with this privilege, they are free to try to earn this privilege elsewhere. ... Hey, where'd everybody go?!? Bunch of ungrateful scallywags, go out and find a bunch of kids too stupid to know they are being abused. [/MMM MiM]

I have suggested handing out bonuses to the guys who deserve it and the reply ranges from thinking about it to the above attitude.

As for the client, they actually do pay a premium for any off business hours work done. My MiM has let that little factoid slip a couple of times, and I have discussed it with this client. He's got the budget room, so he doesn't care, and while he doesn't think it's right that we don't see any of it, he doesn't care about that either.
          D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
          Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

I had the same issue with a former employer. They loved selling my time on evenings and weekends. Didn't cost them a penny extra and they charged premium rates.

They got the goldmine.
            I got the shaft.

I left that job and took another. A former coworker/sales rep came asking me to work for his new company. Part of the negotiations included bonuses when my time was sold at premium rates. I wanted a piece of that pie.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
            X