This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocking Isn't It?

I think this would qualify as a Brain Burp...

I was working as a bench tech at a retail chain building a custom computer for a customer. One of the things I hate the most is to build a system, power it on, and find the mother board is bad, so I'd always build the basics of it (MoBo, CPU, RAM, Video, and FDD) outside of the case to make sure everything worked before I mounted it.

I had everything set up and when I went to grab the toggle switch on the power supply, I found that the switch wasn't there. It was just the four metal connectors. Needless to say I gave myself a jolt that was enough to make me jump and yelp.

Combine the shock, with the embarassment, and the not thinking straight and when I connected the toggle switch to the power supply and powered it on, I realized I connected the wires wrong as I blew the circuit for that wall.

It was a lovely lovely day.

CH
    Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Ah, the joys of unfiltered alternating current.

The people I know generally break into two groups: those that are afraid to touch anything remotely electrical, and those that at some point gave themselves a jolt good enough to induce an irregular heart rhythm (if only for a few minutes).

Comment

Owie. I can sympathise, since I once tripped over the hoover cable, ripped it out of the machine, & (like a twit) picked it up by the bare wire before switching it off at the plug.
      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Worst I ever did to myself was this:

I'd plugged my laptop's power cord into a powerstrip in the big computer lab at school. Time came for me to leave, and not wanting to move closer to the strip than I had to (there was a student sitting between me and the strip), I pulled the powerstrip closer, and grabbed the head of the plug and started to wiggle it loose. When I could do it, I worked my fingertips under the head of the plug and started to pull from there.

My fingers touch the contacts, I feel this vibration and then a burst of heat and then a big JOLT. Snatch my fingers away and they're kinda numb for the next few hours.

Yeah, stupid in retrospect.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
        X