This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lady Who Grew a Veil

This isn't a sucky customer story but it is decidedly strange. Please, Mods. if you feel this belongs elsewhere feel free to move this post.

A few years ago we had a memorable time by visitors to the Library. They arrived right on time. They were friendly and polite. They were also wearing white clothing in a style vaguely resembling that worn in West Africa. We'd seen folks like these before and knew who they were. They were members of a religious and cultural group in the neighborhood. Without exception, folks from this group were delightful researchers. We were always happy to see them.,

They came in as a couple. She was his student. The man spent some time helping her select material for her research on ancient Egyptian deities. He made good choices, offered us a pleasant farewell and left. So far, so good.

At the time, we had the practice of shutting down the Library for an hour at lunch. It gave everybody the chance for a quiet hour before opening up for the afternoon onslaught. We also had the practice of alerting researchers 15 minutes before our closing. At the appointed time, I went over to tell our reader that we were going to close. What I saw made my jaw drop.

The Lady was sitting with her head tilted back, her eyes closed and her mouth working soundlesly. She was enveloped in a magnificent red and gold silk shawl. That could have been enough to give a Librarian pause but here was more. The Lady's arms were folded across her chest and she was holding a real Pharaonic Crook and Flail.

Really, how can you tell someone in communication with the Neter that it's time for Lunch?
    Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Damn....that's pretty weird (the lady)...
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

You've allowed the cult of Ra to get a foothold in your area! Call Dr. Orpheus immediately!!!

Comment

Heck with Dr Orpheus...It's just time to call the Doctor.

Anyone got the TARDIS's number on their cells?

Comment

Quoth jerkface11 View Post
          You've allowed the cult of Ra to get a foothold in your area! Call Dr. Orpheus immediately!!!

No No, call Morpheus. In her dream state he's much more likely to be able to reach her and his son Orpheus does have a tendency to be just a bit of a whiner. No whiners allowed on cs.com!

ps in case the reference is a bit too obscure just check out my avatar for Morpheus' sister
          Last edited by ta2ooed1; 06-11-2008, 01:11 AM. Reason: just cause
          I used to be disgusted... Now I'm just amused

Comment

Tell her the shops steward, a guy named Moses, has a list of demands and he wants to go over them with her over lunch.
            "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Bugger all that, it's obviously time to give Stargate Command a call. She's a Goa'uld!

Comment

*peers at the above posts* No we don't like SciFi at all... *giggles*

Comment

No, not Orpheus! Dr Byron Orpheus, master necromancer and leader of the Order of the Triad!!

(Imaging lightening flashing and thundering brass as I announce the preceding in a dramatic voice, rising toward the end!!!)

Srsly, could it have been these guys?

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                    If I did, I wouldn't still be here!
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                      If I did, I wouldn't still be here!
                      Ah, another proud companion-in-waiting. If only...

As to the odd lady in the original post, at least she was being polite and not disturbing other people. What did you do in the end?
                      "Have muck knowledge, but no certainties. Live. I am sorry, Sorianna." -Gverion

Check out my DeviantArt Site
                      Or my Webcomic!

Comment

It was anticlimactic, actually. I gave a little cough, she looked up and acted as though nothing had happened. She packed up her stuff and left with a pleasant "Thank you".
                        Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

Ahem...I gotta say...

I don't get it. Help please?
                          Today was going to be just one of those days...you know, full of zombies.

Comment

Hmmm... I love Egyptian mythology; however, I'd draw the line at summoning a deity. If I did tho, it would be Anubis. Just cuz. XD
                            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post

no but I do have the key to it-(I'm such a geek)
                              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Working...
                              X