This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your question isn't stupid, but...

So, for those who don't already know (I know I said it on the Facebook group, but don't know if I mentioned it here), I work for our state's charter school authority monitoring organizational and financial compliance.
    Yesterday, we sent out the annual Organizational Performance rating reports to our charter school boards and school leaders. Well, one leader is both the principle of a single campus and the superintendent for all schools on that charter contract. His report showed a point reduction. He was really confused because he knew his campus had no organizational infractions during the year, we obviously sent the wrong report to him (org performance is done at a contract level, not a campus level, and he didn't realize I was sending it to him as the superintendent and not the principle).
    We put in the report to reach out to myself or my supervisor if they had questions, we put in the cover letter to the report to contact me or my supervisor if they had questions, the email that both were attached to said to contact me or my supervisor.
    Want to guess who they reached out to because they were confused about the report?
    Go on, I'll give you a minute.
    Did you guess that he called our COVID reporting line?
    Well, congrats, you guessed right.
    Asking for clarification is definitely reasonable, but why would you call the COVID reporting line?
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Isn't that the new 911?
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I think it was Mr. Garrison who said, "There are no stupid questions--only stupid people."

Oh, and if I may channel my grammar nerd for a moment, the person is spelled "principal". The mnemonic is "it's because he's your PAL." (Uh, have you MET a principal?)
      Last edited by Nunavut Pants; 11-21-2020, 12:48 AM.
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Back in the early 1960s my physics teacher said, "The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked."
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post

Oh, and if I may channel my grammar nerd for a moment, the person is spelled "principal". The mnemonic is "it's because he's your PAL." (Uh, have you MET a principal?)
          I recognize what I wrote was misspelled, but I will keep it that way, because he is my principle point of contact (see what I did there )
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
            "The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked."
            I've heard that notion, too, and I agree with it.

I like to make a distinction, though, between "ignorance" and "stupidity." I say that ignorance is simply when you don't know something – maybe it's because you've never had the chance to find out, or because you just didn't understand the concept when you came across it; the reason doesn't really doesn't matter. This is NOT automatically a bad thing. It becomes stupidity, which IS a bad thing, when you've had the opportunity to correct the issue (and the ability to understand the correction), but you actively choose not to do so.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

As I've heard it put... 'There's a difference between dumb and stupid.A dumb guy don't know anything.l can teach dumb.A stupid guy thinks he knows everything.l can't teach stupid.'
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

That sounds like something evilhomer would say.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                  I recognize what I wrote was misspelled, but I will keep it that way, because he is my principle point of contact (see what I did there )
                  Actually, that one gets the PAL spelling as well...

From https://www.grammarly.com/blog/principle-principal/ :
                  A principle is a rule, a law, a guideline, or a fact.
                  A principal is the headmaster of a school or a person who’s in charge of certain things in a company.
                  Principal is also an adjective that means original, first, or most important.
                  So you can stand on your principles to spell the person's title as principle, but a grammar nerd might call you out on that.

Sorry to distract from the main flow of the thread.
                  Last edited by Nunavut Pants; 11-27-2020, 06:54 AM.
                  “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                  The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                    Whilst we're at it,misspelled is misspelt. If it was spelt misspelled then it wouldn't be misspelt. If you see what I mean
                    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                      Whilst we're at it,misspelled is misspelt. If it was spelt misspelled then it wouldn't be misspelt. If you see what I mean
                      Once again we see an example of two peoples separated by a common language.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                        "The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked."
                        and in a timely manner....long after anything can be done most questions become stupid.
                        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          I like to make a distinction, though, between "ignorance" and "stupidity."
                          My fourth grade teacher once said, "There's a difference between being ignorant, and just plain stupid!" I didn't understand what he meant back then, but I figured it out pretty quickly once I went into retail.
                          Sometimes life is altered.
                          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                          Uneasy with confrontation.
                          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Heh. Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              Heh. Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way.
                              True, but only for the workers. Rarely for the customers.

Comment

Working...
                              X