X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find your name in Elvish

Girls: http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/elvish/girlnames.html

Boys: http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/elvish/boynames.html

They have unusual names too, so don't automatically assume yours won't be there.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Mine ain't there *sulk*
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Both my real name and my online name are on the list!
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

They've got my name, but the wrong meaning.
        Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Mine's on there -- Caunion in Elvish (I presume Sindarin?) - means "ruler" (which is accurate. A neat sidenote, tho -- the notes up to say that "-ion" means "son of," which actually makes it more accurate, whether the list uses it that way or not -- 'Eric' technically means 'prince or ruler,' thus, "son of a ruler" is a reasonable translation ^_^

Mar - Perhaps an alternate meaning, based on which language they assumed it was derived from?
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

My real name isn't there iether

Comment

Mine is there, and it's a mouthful! Eruaphadriel (Air-oo-ah-fahd-ree-ell)
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                Mine's on there -- Caunion in Elvish (I presume Sindarin?) - means "ruler" (which is accurate. A neat sidenote, tho -- the notes up to say that "-ion" means "son of," which actually makes it more accurate, whether the list uses it that way or not -- 'Eric' technically means 'prince or ruler,' thus, "son of a ruler" is a reasonable translation ^_^

Mar - Perhaps an alternate meaning, based on which language they assumed it was derived from?
                Then there's us Scandanavian ones. Mine's Erik, so it's not there. So rarely is...
                "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I've seen several different translations for my name. "Royal fortress," "royal meadow," "from the royal fortress meadow"... All I know for sure is that it's Old English.
                  The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

Comment

Eric-with-a-C (or CH) is Germanic; it would not surprise me if that and the Nordic-derived Erik share a common root, waaaay waaay back.

Crossbow: Meaning here -- "Scandinavian" entry says it means "forever ruler/eternal ruler" -- the entry there for Eric lists the same description.
                    Last edited by EricKei; 03-03-2015, 12:04 AM.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

"Eric" and "Erik" aren't too far fetched, considering the above site associates "Ian" with "John."

Comment

Mine gave me yet another meaning for my name.

First I read it was white wave, then white phantom, now white face.

Okay, I get it! I'm pale!
                        Last edited by Tama; 03-03-2015, 12:48 AM.
                        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          Eric-with-a-C (or CH) is Germanic; it would not surprise me if that and the Nordic-derived Erik share a common root, waaaay waaay back.

Crossbow: Meaning here -- "Scandinavian" entry says it means "forever ruler/eternal ruler" -- the entry there for Eric lists the same description.
                          TBF, I think Crossbow was pointing out the fact they didn't have Erik, while they did have Eric, meanwhile there are still variant spellings like Catherine/Katherine and even derivatives like Katie point to the Katherine entry. Which is a fair point, if that's what Crossbow meant.
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Jay - Aye ^_^

Ara - Well, the letter J is somewhat recent, at least in English language-ey terms! (it's a word! >_> so there!) (last 400 years or so), and it is generally used in words/names that once used an I, so that makes perfect sense to me!

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              Ara - Well, the letter J is somewhat recent, at least in English language-ey terms! (it's a word! >_> so there!) (last 400 years or so), and it is generally used in words/names that once used an I, so that makes perfect sense to me!
                              I knew that and totally forgot. I swear, I'm smarter than this.

Comment

Working...
                              X