• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck!
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Just a few new groceries. I've thrown a lot of stuff in the freezer for the time being. Litter box has been emptied and refilled, packing is mostly done, dishes are mostly done, clothing is dry and put away. The place could do with a good cleaning, but I flaked on buying vacuum-cleaner bags, among other things.

I got together with two guys I know tonight, and invited them to visit me in the hospital; let's see if they do! A friend of mine plans to visit the day after I have surgery.

I'm getting nervous - this is BIG surgery - but I also know full well how miserable this cycle has left me for so long. The surgery is long overdue!

Comment

Best of luck that everything goes smoothly. I had the exact same procedure 15 years ago, and let me tell you, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The recuperation was actually easy, as I had been in excruciating pain beforehand, and the "healing" pain was much less. Take it easy, rest up, and enjoy the fact that Aunt Flo will never visit again!
        The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

*HUG* Hope it went well!

Comment

I'm home now.

I'll write more later. Suffice it to say, the surgery was longer and more complicated than anyone, even the doctors, suspected. I was in the hospital from Sunday (the 6th) until today. And I needed every day of it.

The offending organ is now gone. The stitches are out. It's recovery time.

Comment

Good recovery! I hope you have all the ice packs, pain meds, and support you can use!

Comment

Remember when I said the surgery would be laparoscopic?

That's how it began. Except when they got the camera in, they found something.

Endometriosis.

It involved my intestines - they had to remove several adhesions - and this also meant that instead of a laparoscopic hysterectomy, they had to make it abdominal. I now have a long incision on my lower abdomen. It looks like I've had a C-section, which is particularly ironic, given that I have no children.

I was on a catheter for three days. A tube drained my abdomen. I had two cannulas in my left hand. It was a few days before I could shower, let alone wash my hair.

The pain isn't unbearable; I haven't had painkillers for several days. The worst pain was not from the surgery, but from the CO gas that they pumped into my abdomen. It caused horrible pain in my right shoulder. Fortunately, that pain is gone.

Now, I'm doing some activities, but I get tired easily.

Comment

Is your avatar a picture of you just after the operation?
                  The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

No, the avatar looks a lot better.

Really, I was one huge mess after surgery. I threw up twice; fortunately, the nurses know their stuff, and put a little disposable cardboard basin next to my head. I remember motioning to one nurse to wipe off my face, and she complied.

The nurses, overall, were great. The glaring exception was one Nurse Ratched type who, as far as I can see, had no idea what I needed. I was trying to communicate something to her, and she kept interrupting me and asking me pointless questions. I began mumbling in English out of frustration, and she demanded to know what I was saying.

I'm glad she doesn't work in a pediatrics ward.

Today, I made a trip to the store. It took me much longer than usual, of course, but I got there, bought some things I'd been needing, and got back. I feel a little more awake, though I suspect I'm still getting the anesthetic out of my system.

Comment

I'm glad you are better. The adhesions have probably given some stomach trouble. I think you may feel even better when you heal.

Comment

The pain is MUCH better now, though fatigue has kicked in. I've been taking it easy, not overexerting myself, and I get very tired at times anyway. I guess this is normal. When I get sleepy, I do the sensible thing and crash in bed.

Mikkel, yes, according to what I read, endometrial adhesions on the the intestines do cause intestinal trouble. It makes sense to me. All those times when the cramps would start, and everything between the rib cage and the knees was in agony! Why did it take so long for me to have surgery?

Comment

I had a hysterectomy in August of 2016. I had no choice. I had massive fibroids (looked like I was 5 months pregnant), and severe endometriosis on the left side. Strangely, I was much more concerned with the surgery itself than I was with losing the ability to have kids, which I had never planned to have anyway.

I was 40.

Late, after it was all cut out, they did a bunch of tests only to find out I had cancerous cells in one of the fibroids. This means I can't take hormone replacement therapy. Because of this I'm taking an antidepressant called celexa to help control the hot flashes and mood swings which tend to be much more severe when you have a surgical hysterectomy than a natural one.

You will want a belly binder, trust me it will help with the pain while you are healing. You will also want a pillow you can press against your belly when you laugh or caught because both will hurt. Don't sleep on your side for at least a couple weeks, you want your guts to fill the empty space left by whatever is removed.

Take the pills. I know you won't want to, but take them. Especially what they give for swelling (usually motrin 800).

People take different amount of time to heal. I took 3 months off but was able to work at home after a month.

Be aware that you will be sleeping alot while your body heals at first. DO NOT push it. You won't be able to do things like vacuum and mop the house for probably a month, maybe more. And you will be weak as a kitten too for a while. You will likely need help having a shower for the first couple weeks.

A hysterectomy is MAJOR surgery. Your body is not going to be a happy camper. Take things slow and listen to it when it tells you it's gone too far.

Comment

It's fascinating to read other people's experiences.

I was in the hospital for eight days, all told, and they told me about holding my hand against my abdomen when coughing, and the best way to get out of bed. I wasn't given any medication to take home, and nobody mentioned sleeping on my back vs. sleeping on either side. (As it happened, I could only sleep on my left side, because the gas created horrible pain in my right shoulder.)

I was told to walk in order to keep the intestines working, and I started doing laps around the corridors when I was able to do so. Since I've come home, I've taken a short walk every day. I've made it to the local grocery store twice, and done a little shopping each time.

I haven't needed painkillers, so I haven't taken any. Even just after surgery, when the pain was at its height, it was SO much more bearable than cramps ever were!

I've been doing my own cooking, or more appropriately, my own reheating. There's an excellent restaurant delivery service here, so I've ordered food twice, and each order lasts for a few days.

I'm not doing any mopping (which I don't do all that often anyway), and I couldn't vacuum even if I wanted to, because I've run out of vacuum-cleaner bags. Sometimes I look at the tub and think about how it needs cleaning, and then I go to bed or online.

Showers are easy. I had help for the first two showers I took after surgery. After that, I was fine on my own. This is fortunate, since I live alone.

I have an appointment with my regular gynecologist in a few days, and one with the surgeon at the hospital at the end of the month.

Things seem to be progressing well, and I'm wary of that. I don't want to overdo it. When I had an endometrial ablation a few years ago, I spent too much time vertical and out of bed. This caused a small relapse, and I had to take more time off work. I want to just relax and take it easy now.

Comment

Is it possible to hire a housecleaning service for a one-time gig? They'll get your place up to par, and you won't have to worry about it again until you're healed up.

Glad to see you're doing well. Hope you have a speedy and thorough recovery.
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

There are many house-cleaning services here, but my place is so tiny that it just doesn't seem worthwhile. I'm keeping up on the dishes, which is good, but otherwise... as I said, I don't know that it's worth it. I'd also be too tempted to hire a service all the time, not just once.

Comment

Working...
                                X