This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chromebook dropping signal

My sister uses a Toshiba Chromebook that is 4 years old. She just uses it to websurf, no gaming or anything major.

For the last week or so it's been dropping the internet sporadically. She'll be online and suddenly gets a message telling her she's offline.

The thing is, I'll often be online at the same time, in the next room (which is where the cable connection is) and I have no problems.

So I'm wondering if you guys think it's her battery going? I mean it IS 4 yrs old. She tried using the laptop while plugged in but it still drops the signal.

Hoping it's not the hard drive itself but before we spend money we can't spare at a computer shop, I wondered if anyone has any other suggestions? Thanks!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

I would think that the wireless interface is failing.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Yup, it do sound like that thing's WIFI ability is on the way out.

Or, come to think of it, WIFI connection relies on 2 antennas, one in the Chromebook, and the cable-modem/router. If the router is losing some capacity, you might not notice it while sitting at point-blank range, but more distant devices will falter. It's something to check. If getting closer makes it work, then one of the two is starting to have issues. If both your machines drop off with distance, it looks like the router.

Also, check the Chromebook with other WIFI signals. Star... coffee places, libraries and the Wal of Marts tend to have free wifi that one could use to check such things out.

Still, battery and hard drive are NOT on the list of culprits. Battery may have a shorter power cycle these days, but plugged in overrides most any shortcoming the battery might have. Hard drive failing tends to have some interesting symptoms, but losing signal is not one of them.

As for a workaround, if the machine is losing wifi ability, is a USB wifi antenna. They're cheap enough through various online outlets. I paid $12 for the last one, and it's followed me through several desktops and a laptop with a similar wifi infirmity.

Comment

Thanks guys. Weird thing is, last night we BOTH lost internet. My router disappeared from the list of available networks, and the diagnostic said it was either the router, or a broken/loose cable. I switched out cables but it didn't do anything, so I gave up for a while.

Then a couple hours later, it came back up. I've had no problems today, but my sister's comp is still dropping the signal, so I might try that USB wifi antenna idea. So thanks for that suggestion Buzzard!

If mine loses the connection again, then I'm guessing my router actually IS giving up.

Comment

Huh. I don't get that with my chromebook but it happens with my phone pretty often. My chromebook is at least 3 years older than my phone and less sophisticated technology. Go figure.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I swear, sometimes the less sophisticated something is, the less trouble you have with it. It might not be able to do as much, but that means there's fewer things that can go wrong with it.

Comment

So I don't know what happened with my internet connection the other night, but it was down for a couple hours or so, and then came back up.

Yesterday my sister had no problems staying online. Today it's back to periodically dropping the connection for a few seconds or so at a time, then coming back up.

My laptop sits about two feet away from the router, while her laptop is in the next room.

Is it possible that my router is to blame for her losing the connection, since she is farther away from it than I am?

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                Is it possible that my router is to blame for her losing the connection, since she is farther away from it than I am?
                Might be the router. Have you tried a full pull-the-plug reset?
                There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
                  Might be the router. Have you tried a full pull-the-plug reset?
                  Three times, and also just pushed the reset button in the back...probably another three times.

Comment

I've had routers that lost transmission range before. Hardline connections would work fine, as well as point-blank wireless, but this doesn't do the rest of the house much good, so replacements were in order.

I don't suppose there's a spare router that could be swapped in, or connected to the modem-router, for testing purposes.
                    Also, now that I think of it, is that thing in a space where it can get airflow? Overheating can make one shut down and do odd things as well. (I knew a guy who kept his shut in a drawer. Opening said drawer also released a nice whoof of hot air. It actually started working properly after he got it out of there)

Comment

Nah, this is my second one, and they took the old one when they replaced it.

Airflow MIGHT be a possibility. Sis had no trouble with her laptop a couple days ago, then yesterday it dropped the connection a few times again. It doesn't happen every day.

Gonna see about making some space around the router.

Comment

I think it's the router OR some Wifi-Problem.

To exclude the WiFi, you could try using a cable.
                        Native German, so my writing might be a bit ... special. I try my best to get better

Comment

Quoth Zeddi View Post
                          To exclude the WiFi, you could try using a cable.
                          Chromebooks typically don't have an ethernet jack.

IMO your best bet is to pick up a cheap wifi dongle, unplug your computer's ethernet connection, and try staying on via the dongle. If you do, it's the Chromebook; if not, it's your router. They come in handy sometimes, so it's worth having one.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-WN...dp/B008IFXQFU/ - my recommendation, $10

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                            Chromebooks typically don't have an ethernet jack.

IMO your best bet is to pick up a cheap wifi dongle, unplug your computer's ethernet connection, and try staying on via the dongle. If you do, it's the Chromebook; if not, it's your router. They come in handy sometimes, so it's worth having one.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-WN...dp/B008IFXQFU/ - my recommendation, $10
                            Thanks for the suggestion, I might try that if it's compatible with Chrome. She hasn't had much trouble the past few days, but it couldn't hurt to have the thing handy in case it starts up again.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                              Thanks for the suggestion, I might try that if it's compatible with Chrome.
                              Like I said, test it on your *PC*. Not the Chromebook. (Though if the Chromebook can use it, hey.)

Oh, and there's another potential possibility, if one of the neighbors has a leaky microwave oven...

Comment

Working...
                              X