This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This was just...

So I'm at work tonight at The Bullseye, La-de-dah. The following convo took place on the phone...it's not so much sucky, just...well, read on.

Me-
    HA: Hopeful Applicant

HA: Are you hiring right now?
    Me: Why yes we are.
    HA: (Pause) Do they do background checks?
    Me: (uh oh) Yeeesss...
    HA: How far do you think they go back?
    Me? (O shit) As far back as they can, I imagine...
    HA: Well...do you think they would consider hiring someone who was convicted for arson?
    Me: (I was literally speechless for a moment) Uhhhh, well, I guess you would have to apply to find out...?! (Still I just didn't know what to say...)
    HA: Yeah, I hear ya, I hear ya. Thank you!

And she was so polite and just nice as pie! I hung up and just died laughing. So did all my other coworkers and managers that I told.

"Hi, I'm an arsonist, can I work here!?" Yeah, come on in!

Oy.
    "I'm not even supposed to be here today!" Dante-"Clerks"

Well, what if it was accidental? I mean, arsonists are people too!
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

We had an App that disclosed that said person had just been released from prison, and was fired from his last job. His crime? Theft. Um..... yeah........ Don't call us, we'll call you.
      Shamus: Why hasn't anybody designs a cranium-anus extraction kit yet? It seems that so many people suffer from a improperly-stored head.

Comment

We have customers all the time that will come in smelling like weed and booze and ask for an application...it's extra funny if they were a SC too, or better yet if they ask for an application through the drive-thru.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
          Well, what if it was accidental? I mean, arsonists are people too!
          Sometimes people are convicted wrongly and it stays on their record.
          MMO Addicts group

Comment

I love the ones that call and say "Are you hiring, because if you can't hire me I'm not going to bother coming down to fill out an application".

Um...yeah, we'll hire you sight unseen, no info, no work history needed. Hell, go ahead and keep your name and address a secret. We don't need to know any of that. Oh, and by the way, that snotty attitude sure will get you in the door.

Morons!

Comment

We have an ad in the paper for a Desk Clerk position. You would think that people would atleast care about how they look, even if they are just picking up an application. This one woman looked like just rolled out of bed with her pajamas still on and asked for an application. Also being polite when asking for an application helps too. This one guy was waiting in line as I was checking some guests in and he was tapping his fingers on the desk, indiciating that he was impatient. He said "Finally!" Yeah, I need an application!" I handed him one and he filled out in the lobby. But I let the manager know exactly what he did. It was tossed in the trash can.

Hint for job applicants: Don't piss off the person giving you the application.

Comment

Quoth hotelnpa View Post
                We have an ad in the paper for a Desk Clerk position. You would think that people would atleast care about how they look, even if they are just picking up an application. This one woman looked like just rolled out of bed with her pajamas still on and asked for an application. Also being polite when asking for an application helps too. This one guy was waiting in line as I was checking some guests in and he was tapping his fingers on the desk, indiciating that he was impatient. He said "Finally!" Yeah, I need an application!" I handed him one and he filled out in the lobby. But I let the manager know exactly what he did. It was tossed in the trash can.

Hint for job applicants: Don't piss off the person giving you the application.
                Oh I so agree with you. I especially love it when a regular sucky customer comes in to get an application. I so want to tell them that there is not a snowball chance in hell that I would hire them. They treat us like shit when they come in, why the hell would I want to work with someone like that. I can just imagine how they would treat the customers.

Comment

you have to remember some of these people really don't want the job . . . they have to prove they are applying to places to keep getting our hard earned money given to them

Comment

I worked one place and the boss was hardly around and hated to do interviews, so she would just ask us what we thought about the applicant. Which actually made sense because we were the ones that had to work with them. We also would do a little light "hazing" to see if they would last. If they lasted our hazing for two weeks and their boyfriends didn't make them quit they usually stuck around for awhile.

Comment

I might hire an arsonist.... wait, that doesn't sound right, but you know what I mean. It would depend on the circumstances, though.
                      Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Again, though with more gravitas, I say "What if it was an accident?" It's possible that it was a fire set with reckless disregard, and caused damage. That'll get you arson in most places. Also, as Jacen noted, some people are wrongly convicted (though most would probably make a note of explanation as to circumstances). Also, most arson's done as revenge or for profit, so hiring an arsonist probably isn't the worst idea out there.
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

There is also the possibility that someone did something incredibly stupid when they were a younger, but since they were technically an adult, it has followed them on their record, even if they are not nearly as stupid or reckless anymore.

I submit my driving record as Exhibit A.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

Of course, the place to get into your conviction would be in the spot that says "have you been convicted of a crime? If yes, explain." Then you can explain your side of the story. If you give a plausible explanation you might get a chance to explain further in an interview.
                            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

i use to have a nice system
                              Person didnt creep me out, you got a point
                              Person wasnt dressed like a bum (cause yes it was fast food but if you look like a bim and smell like bum you arent going to come to work up to health code), got a point
                              Person didnt asked during the fucking rush where im 15 customers deep and 10 orders on the monitor, got a point.
                              Person brought their own pen, got major points.
                              You meet that i gushed about you.
                              Trust me if i said nice things being the person you took the app you had a chance of being LOOKed at.
                              Oh and the pen thing was i dont care if your dressed nice, Kind, noncreepy, and timely, if your looking for a jobn and not smart enough to BRING A F-ING PEN, no no no no, no!! you go away.

Comment

Working...
                              X