This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shit went sideways last night.

Saw this coming a mile away and it finally happened last night.

There is 2 shifts for my department, day and night. Day shift has a nasty habit of taking all the resources that is meant to be spread over both shifts just for them and over the past few weeks they have been taking absolutely everything everydamnday. Specifically people. You can only work a max of 9-10 hours per 24 with 10 in between shifts and no more than 38 in a week storewide. They have been pulling everyone who has an inkling of how to work in our department and maxing their hours out daily during the day. Then they started maxing out their weekly hours by midweek starting a month ago. Yes I understand this is primary a management caused issue but they have been told repeatedly by myself and a few others to leave 1 or 2 available for night but they ignored it. And it hit last night. Not our problem, management has known about the issue but brush it off as a meh issue (eyeroll).

2 people on last night. One slipped a disc earlier that day and called out. The other came into work with no support and everyone already in store had already maxed out their hours due to day shift yet again. I missed the call (light triggered migraine, couldn't come in even if I wanted too) and the one other possibility was out due to an injury. He was on his own and ended up 30 totes short so left it for day shift to sort after his shift. Day shift cracked the shits, refused to do them as it was night shifts job, closed it out 30 totes short and sent it on its way. Biiiig nono as they has 2 hours to fill them but no matter how much I've pushed for a worst case scenario what to do list it has never materialized so people flounder when it happens. Can't blame us for that. All our department is overstretched and overworked constantly already.
    Wonder how this is going to go down. This has happened to myself aprox 6 months ago prior but our manager came in but they were on holiday this time.

I warned them this will happen again, especially with days taking all available personnel constantly. We finally managed to wrangle some sense into upper management that we need more cross training across departments but they only implemented it a month ago and placed no use restrictions or cross checked with rosters to make sure the cross trained people were also available with both day and night. They left it at luck of the draw. Sigh. Dept wars at it finest.

I'm probably going to get bitched at for not coming in but even if this was an on call position they know Mon to Wed I'm not available anyway unless pre requested.

This proves to me even more that common sense is rare superpower, especially here at work. The declaration 'the stupid, it burns' has never rung more true than right now.

Quoth Zaiida View Post
    Can't blame us for that.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Yeah. Riiiight.

Comment

Lol, Manglement did actually try to blame nightshift. We nightshifters reamed them out so badly that within 10 minutes they were backpedaling *hard*. To expand on why they backpedaled, they got the hard maths of day vs night ranted on below with swearing removed.

They tend to cave quite quickly when faced with actual reasons why shit goes sideways, especially if it's been documented previously. We know how they work and are not afraid of them. It's finally sinking in that the problem with our department is not nightshift. Some nightshift people yes but it's day causing 90% of this department issues. Not that they will do anything about it but they know we know it's not us and can prove it and we won't back down on being blamed for everything.

Dayshift on the other hand is now under the microscope especially since their last cry wolf event two weeks ago. About bloody time because they fucking did it *again*, this time to themselves during the day. Myself and another had to come in 2 hours early to help with an apparent *disaster*. Come in to find they had 5 hours to do 25 totes. 25 totes takes 1 person 2 hours at a medium speed. What the everloving fuck were you doing for 3 hours before we got there to have not done these before we did them huh? We were so slammed during the day! No, no you were not, you had 10 hours to do 220 totes....with 6 day people now. *SIX PEOPLE*. By base metrics its 12 totes per person per hour x 10 hours. Corporate maths. Total optimal with this is SEVEN HUNDRED AND FUCKING TWENTY!!. By this standard TWO PEOPLE could have done the whole damn DAY by themselves!!. Nightshift does ONE HUNDRED with 2 in fucking FIVE HOURS! Using night metrics 200x6 is 1200!! What.the.FUCK.are you.DOING?!?. Get your shit together, work together and follow the fucking guidelines. This job is easy enough I'm pretty sure a semi coherent drunk lump could do it and I say that as I know this because someone came in absolutely shitfaced for their shift and still kept the metrics on point.

No, I wasn't the drunken one. Tempted some nights to be though.

Now I know what it would be like to work with Homer Simpson level idiocy and apathy. Wow.

Comment

Quoth Zaiida View Post
        Now I know what it would be like to work with Homer Simpson level idiocy and apathy. Wow.
        Maybe you could trade your day shift with evilhomer's helpers?
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

The new big debate!
          Batman vs Superman
          Captain America vs Spiderman
          Starship Enterprise vs Star Destroyer
          Evilhomer's helpers vs Zalida's Day shift.

Maybe not. That last one would be like watching a turtle race.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Or the Three Stooges, minus the pies?

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
              Or the Three Stooges, minus the pies?
              Nah, the Stooges did their actual job (to entertain the audience) quite well.
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I would go day but having worked it before I'm am not too enthused with the general day kerfuffling. Mainly noise from deliveries and customers. Customers will walk past 3 other branded workers just to ask me questions. At night I can knuckle in and just get shit done with no distractions. Everyone on nights work more cohesively while day people do their own thing without letting others know what they are doing.

Nights have become smoother with the odd side effect of covid new workers. The workers that were meh or half assing the job are not being rostered often while the people who were hired because of covid and need the money already have a good work ethic are being given more shifts. Store looks great and is running really well. I'm not looking forward to when it flips back to before times if it's this smooth now.

Comment

Quoth Zaiida View Post
                  ... I'm not looking forward to when it flips back to before times if it's this smooth now.
                  If it's any consolation, I don't think the before times will be returning anytime soon, if at all.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

If it helps I totally understand the feeling. Our morning shift has one actual task. That is to set out the till mats...14 of them...with 8 people working. Gods forbid they have to do anything else. They stand around all day chatting and then when evenings come on (and the shift over) suddenly it’s cleaning time and all the extra put outs, and inventory, and all the covid precautions. But if we have a busy night (because everyone gets nabbed for day shift and like you we have rules on hours allowed to work and how much time between shifts) and can’t get all the cleaning done the world ends because now morning shift has to *gasp* clean stuff. Usually little things like the handles on carts at entrance, or wiping down the front desk, or (and here’s the big one) putting the cigarettes (one and a half totes, two at max) in the drawers. A literal half hour job working at the speed of snails. But noooooo. It’s night shifts job. Well maybe if we didn’t have three people to do all the work then it would have got done.
                    Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Working...
                    X