Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

C'mon, buddy, it's just standard Canadian funny money ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C'mon, buddy, it's just standard Canadian funny money ...

Canada has a new $10 bill out, with a portrait on it of Canada's version of Rosa Parks (yes, alas, Canadians have not been -- and many still are not -- as nice as our scrubbed international image suggests we are ... )

Viola Desmond was in a movie theatre and refused to sit in the balcony, which was the 'blacks only' section of the theatre. Theatre staff called the police who dragged her out, and she spent 12 hours in jail.

Okay, so the weird thing is, this bill does not have the standard horizontal design of every other bill ever made in this country. For whatever reason, the Mint has designed it vertically (you can Google the image). IMO it's really nice, although there is one major problem with it: many machines that take bills won't take this one, because they can't read it, because it's designed vertically, and so on and so forth.

However, according to one recent customer, there is another reason:

SC, after I hand him one of the new bills as change: "Hmph. Well, I don't want to pull a card, but this is the same design on the money used in [Country That He Apparently Disapproves Of]."

I managed not to roll my eyes until he left.

Yes, this is undoubtedly a Nefarious Plot by [People from Country That He Apparently Disapproves Of] to ... I dunno ... make Canadian funny money even funnier?

No fratching, please and thank you.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Wow it's disappointing to learn people in Canada was just as racist as this stupid country. I really don't get it. But on issue of the bill, why did they design it so differently, and make it so difficult?
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

One of the reasons for cycling through designs, aside from adding new features (security and esthetics) there's the whole "LOOK AT IT!" thing. Most counterfeits get passed along because folks don't pay attention to what they're handling. New bills get eyeballed real hard, which is a forger's nightmare (and leads to his doors getting kicked in at some point by the feds).

Esthetic designs... there's always some group to placate/woo/kiss posterior, as well as someone's pet cause (see also: kiss posterior).

As to "This be scheme by other country to [insert Fratching here]" ... Whoops, sorry there Buddy, you seem to have lost both your tinfoil hat AND your Bill Engvall-mandated Sign.

Comment

Working...
      X