Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Unsupportable > Tech help

Closed Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 10:10 AM
International Killer

For starters, just what's written on the the boxes (router/modem/etc.) to determine what you've got.

If your sister is already detecting your network - you've got wireless already! Unless she's actually picking up a neighbour, yellow spotted aliens, CIA listening post, SETI@home etc. etc...

Old 02-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Mistress of the House of Books

If your network has a name, and she's picking up a network with that name; then either you and some neighbour have the same network name (possible, especially if you're using factory settings), or you already have wireless and she's already picking it up.
3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

Disclaimer:
My professional areas of expertise are computing and writing: I am not a doctor or a lawyer.
When your health, freedom, etc are at risk, always see a professional.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Area Manager

Here's a diagram I made.

From the back of the wireless router, plug an Ethernet cable into port 1,2,3 or 4 (doesn't matter which), and the other end to the Ethernet jack of your laptop or desktop computer. The extra port may be labelled "Internet" or "modem", but plus an Ethernet cable from there into the Ethernet jack on the back of the Cable (or DSL) modem.

From the wireless router, it should broadcast the name of the network on your sister's laptop or desktop, seeing that she was able to pick up wireless networks elsewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Net-connection2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	3304  

Old 03-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Humanoid

You will need to check online for help to get into the web interface of your modem/router thingy.
Take the make, model of it, and go to your ISP's website. Like... centurylink.com (my carrier). I look up PK5000 in the help/support section. I can then see "how to troubleshoot" or "how to setup wireless".
You need to be able to get INTO the modem to check your setup, and find there if it broadcasts anything (if it doesn't you need a wireless router). If it DOES, tell us, and we can help more.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:07 AM
Sorry, my giveadamn broke

Her laptop is definitely picking up MY network, not the neighbor's. I gave it a specific name when the guy from the late-not-so-great-Circuit-City set up my equipment.

Quote:
From the back of the wireless router, plug an Ethernet cable into port 1,2,3 or 4 (doesn't matter which), and the other end to the Ethernet jack of your laptop or desktop computer. The extra port may be labelled "Internet" or "modem", but plus an Ethernet cable from there into the Ethernet jack on the back of the Cable (or DSL) modem.

From the wireless router, it should broadcast the name of the network on your sister's laptop or desktop, seeing that she was able to pick up wireless networks elsewhere.
I'll have to go buy the cable, I don't have anything extra. See how sure I was that I was never going to need any of these things?

Anyway, after I do this, and I see her laptop's network, then what?

BTW, I tried to Google an answer to all this a while ago, and I couldn't make heads or tails out of what I found. Too much tech-speak, contradictory info, stuff from years go (2005, 2003!) that I figured would be too out of date...What you guys are telling me makes more sense and is basically understandable.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:28 AM
Humanoid

Quote:
Quoth MoonCat View Post
Her laptop is definitely picking up MY network, not the neighbor's. I gave it a specific name when the guy from the late-not-so-great-Circuit-City set up my equipment.

BTW, I tried to Google an answer to all this a while ago, and I couldn't make heads or tails out of what I found. Too much tech-speak, contradictory info, stuff from years go (2005, 2003!) that I figured would be too out of date...What you guys are telling me makes more sense and is basically understandable.
Ok. You have a special name for your network. Mooncatwireless.
Your sister's machine "sees" it. She can't connect?
Have your sister tried connecting to the router by CABLE first to make sure she can get out with a wired card? (just unplug the one from router to your puter. You then have her plugged into router. ) Test that. FIRST thing to do after router to her lappy is to open browser (IE or FF). Clear cache and cookies. (Firefox. Main menu on FF. History menu. Clear all history. Dump it.) Check a bunch of different websites after the cookie dump. Like CNN, icanhascheezburgers, all that stuff that are known good websites.
Ok. So, can surf with wires. Kosher. Good good.

So why can't she get on the wireless network? That's the next question. Plug the cable back into your puter. Router-cable-your machine.
You need to get into the interface to change setup inside the wireless settings. It could be she's not authorized with no password, the security settings are tight, the broadcast protocol doesn't match...many reasons.

This is where you go get the manual and help from ISP to get into the damn thing.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:57 AM
International Killer

...and still no model name and/or number of the equipment? Not passwords, not serial numbers, just what type of equipment please.

At the moment what you say your sister can do/see doesn't tie up with what the ISP says you need. Without knowing what the equipment is, we'll just be guessing what's going on.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:36 AM
Sorry, my giveadamn broke

Oh yes, sorry, forgot about that.

Agere Systems HDA SB4100 cable modem
Linksys Wireless-G broadband router model WRTG2V1
Windows Vista Home Premium
AMD Turion 64X2 mobile technology, 32 bit operating system
(Windows version 6.0, build 6002: service pack 2)

Der Cute, it could be just a matter of a password. She can use WiFi at the coffee shop using their password, maybe that's all that's missing here. In that case I'm stumped because I don't think I ever set one up for my computer.

Anyway, let me know what else you need to know, and sorry if this feels like teaching a caveman how to use a stylus. Never had a need to know a lot of this stuff before.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Humanoid

@ Mooncat - she might be able to see other networks, but I want to be anal-retentive here and make sure there is full network access from that puter. Period.
Ok. I copied your router's name/model. Pasted that into Google. Got the page for that model/make from linksys. ( http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/wrt54gs )

Then I clicked on the FAQ tab in the middle of that page. Looking through the FAQs I see a "Checking wireless settings"
Ya gotta get IN the router to even CHECK setups. use this http://bit.ly/w2DqKf

So to check wireless settings, use this http://bit.ly/zgg7Pi

You need to make sure her puter can get on the net. Period.
Get into the web interface of the router.
Once in the web interface, check the wireless settings. It WILL most likely be a password. BUT you need to check.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Support Masochist

If she can see the network, but can't connect, is she typing in the password properly?