Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY SON IS OLD ENOUGH TO READ THE DARK IS RISING SEQUENCE

TOOK HIM LONG ENOUGH (8 years)

I GIVE BIRTH TO CHILDREN AND THEN COUNT DOWN THE TIME UNTIL THEY CAN READ CERTAIN BOOKS

(There's another one after him so I get to do it again in 5 years or so)
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• Maybe try him on Tamora Pierce next? Or Andre Norton?

Comment

• Watching yet another scary video on YouTube tonight and the protagonist is using an Ouija board ... and saying to his, uh, contact, "Where do you live?"

And I'm thinking you're speaking to this person via a OUIJA BOARD. Wherever they live, I'm pretty sure it's not a place you want to visit.
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Mental_Mouse- I think 12 or so is a better age for Tamora Pierce (and Robin McKinley). Because they have sex in their books.

Comment

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
            I GIVE BIRTH TO CHILDREN...
            Believe me,you don't. You just spawn....
            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Mental_Mouse- I think 12 or so is a better age for Tamora Pierce (and Robin McKinley). Because they have sex in their books.
              Fair enough... I do have my own opinions regarding kids reading about sex, but I'm not a parent, so I won't bother you folks with my blathering.

There's still Norton, IIRC nothing too direct in there -- though it's been a while since I read them, and when I was a kid myself, I would have simply not registered such things. More recently, Sleator looks pretty good. And there's Ursula Vernon! Early Asimov and the Heinlein juvies are also options, depending on the kid's vocabulary and interests.

Comment

• I'm not a prude or anything. He's just, you know, 8. 3rd grade doesn't seem like the time to introduce sex in literature, with its attendant emotional turmoil.

He can read and comprehend at a high school level though.

Comment

• No school today, it's below freezing and snowing. With school being out the grand-kids are here with me and my youngest son. What do the grand-kids want to do??? So swimming in the pool. There's still ice on it from last week with the temps were around 0 and it froze to around 5/6 inches. My youngest son walked across the pool. We went out there and had my oldest grand-daughter put her hand in the pool. She changed her mind but wanted to go into the hot-tub. Nope hot-tub is too dirty for little kids. Finally got them to agree to play in the hay barn until their Mommy's come to get them.
                  I put a big pot of chili on the stove and some jalapeno cornbread in the oven.
                  Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

• Quoth Tanasi View Post
                    I put a big pot of chili on the stove and some jalapeno cornbread in the oven.
                    Yum! When is dinner?
                    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                    Save the Ales!
                    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

• My son (almost 13) has been talking a lot about this number, lately...

It's over most people's head...but he likes numbers, so what can I say?
                      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

• Quoth mjr View Post
                        My son (almost 13) has been talking a lot about this number, lately...

"Well son, I don't understand it all but you can count on my support."
                        Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

• Quoth csquared View Post
                          Yum! When is dinner?
                          At 06:30pm sharp. Big pot of snow cone chili , corn-bread, sweet yellow onions, local cheese, sour cream, corn chips and beverages of choice providing you like sweet iced tea, milk or various sodas.
                          Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

• Quoth TheWolfEmperor View Post
                            "Well son, I don't understand it all but you can count on my support."
                            And that's exactly where we are. He wants to be a "mathematician", and we're supporting him in that as best we can.

He even has several "advanced" calculators, like the ones you can do statistics and calculus on.

He's also expressed an interest in this:

http://googology.wikia.com/wiki/BIG_FOOT

As well as topology and set theory. We encourage where we can.
                            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

• Quoth Tanasi View Post
                              At 06:30pm sharp. Big pot of snow cone chili , corn-bread, sweet yellow onions, local cheese, sour cream, corn chips and beverages of choice providing you like sweet iced tea, milk or various sodas.

It's local cheese...sold in the local shop for local people!
                              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I'm not a prude or anything. He's just, you know, 8. 3rd grade doesn't seem like the time to introduce sex in literature, with its attendant emotional turmoil.

He can read and comprehend at a high school level though.
                                Yeah, my family was similar, and my sister's brood is round 2. (Sis and BiL are both MIT grads ) But as I said, at that age I personally would have "looked past" such things. And that's about as much as I'm willing to say here about that.

Quoth mjr View Post
                                My son (almost 13) has been talking a lot about this number, lately...

Has he seen Wait, But Why's take on it?

Comment

Working...
                                X