This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're getting a new Branch Manager and I'm stressing out

I need to rant/expel my stress. We’re getting a new branch manager, finally. He’ll be starting the day I get back from vacation in June. This is triggering my anxiety in a couple different ways.

Both Ted and Goodhair have mentioned about hiring a new manager that we wanted someone “involved in the community.” Today, while telling us about the new manager, Goodhair used that phrase again. And he glanced at me while saying it. He also said we wanted someone who “wouldn’t just wait for customers to walk through the door.” I feel like those are both digs at me. As if there was some community to get involved in if you’re not into beer, fishing, or hunting.

And never mind, I guess, that I tried to get our branch involved in the Adopt-a-Highway program (it would have been a good team building exercise as well as cheap advertisement) but nobody else wanted to do it. And never mind that nobody in management has pushed for getting employees involved in community events or done any advertising to speak of.

Ted and Goodhair also said they wanted someone with commercial lending experience. But the New Branch Manager doesn’t have that, either. At least he has experience managing a branch of a bank.

But to get back to what’s setting off my anxiety (other than a new change to get used to)... at my last annual review, Ted and Old Branch Manager told me I needed to “think outside the box” whatever the that means. I hope they don’t expect me to suddenly turn from an introvert to an extrovert. Or to turn into a salesperson. Or to get involved in “community events” just so I can sell the bank’s products to the people I meet.

I’ve seen how poorly that last bit has gone for both Goodhair and Ted. Some of their worst loans have been made to their “buddies” or people they know from church. I’m not going to lend to my friends (what few I have). That seems like an easy way to lose a friend. I’ve seen how awkward it is for Ted to try to collect from former friends and neighbors.

I want to treat people with respect and integrity. I don’t want to turn potential friends into potential customers, any more than I want to turn customers into friends.

I’ve been trying to get involved in the community. I’ve actually enjoyed going to the monthly Chamber of Commerce meetings these past few months, when I can push down my nerves long enough. I’m also trying to get involved with the city gardening club, but my schedule hasn’t been lining up. If there were local gaming groups, I’d love that. Or maybe a book club? Assuming I could borrow the book from the library, since I can’t afford to buy books (insert yet another rant about not being paid as well as I'd like).

Anyway, I’m stressing out over this. I don’t think there’s really anything I can do but roll with it. It will take some getting used to. I just hope I don’t have a major freak out over it.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

When they suggest you get involved in the community, ask them what they had in mind? Get some clarification about what they are suggesting you do. And if it is to sell the bank's products to that community, ask them how much extra pay and/or commission you'll be getting for doing that.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

How much compensation do you receive for all this community outreach? 'Cause I wouldn't want to start working off the clock...
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

That's a good point. I'm not getting paid well for what I'm doing now. And I'm paid hourly. So I should ask if I can get overtime for the hours I'm attending community events. -_-
        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
        -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
          How much compensation do you receive for all this community outreach? 'Cause I wouldn't want to start working off the clock...
          My guess is OP is compensated in exposure, IYKWIMAITYD.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

why do employers, especially banks, insist on trying to convert introverts? Leave me alone. The rah rah atmosphere at my bank drives me up the damn wall.
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
              why do employers, especially banks, insist on trying to convert introverts? Leave me alone. The rah rah atmosphere at my bank drives me up the damn wall.
              Forced teaming. Because if they can get you all hyped up about family! and community! and we have fun here! and we're all in this together! then you will do more work and accept more shit without getting more pay. Theoretically, at least. It's why MLM companies work the rah-rah so hard at their compulsory conventions; if their workers think of the company as their in-group, they're much happier to do borderline unethical things (or just plain ripoffs) to get money out of people who aren't in that in-group - their friends and family - in order to benefit the company.

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                at my last annual review, Ted and Old Branch Manager told me I needed to “think outside the box” whatever the that means.
                That probably doesn't have to do with introversion/extroversion at all. "The box" is basically the rules and procedures you operate by, either personally or as part of the business. They're telling you that you can bend or break the rules.

Just remember that you'll still be tossed under a bus if you break the rules and it doesn't work well. ^___^

Comment

I'm agreeing with Shadow.
                  Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                  Save the Ales!
                  Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                    They're telling you that you can bend or break the rules.

Just remember that you'll still be tossed under a bus if you break the rules and it doesn't work well. ^___^
                    Probably related: I called the Senior Loan Officer to get approval for an extension for an unsecured single-pay note. He sounded annoyed that I even bothered to ask. "Just do it." Well, I'd never done something like this before. I needed to make sure it was ok and find out what documentation was needed. I'm still not 100% sure I documented it correctly.
                    -Mira Furlan

Comment

I think I like the new manager. He's done a number of positive things that none of my last three managers have done. He asked about procedures and documents. He wants to get us involved in the regional chamber of commerce (we're already part of the one for our city, but there's one that covers a larger area, too). He asks a lot of questions about, well, everything. Who does what. What software we use. What websites we use for various things. What advertising we do. Whether we give out gifts to loan customers. He wants to get a bunch of branded travel mugs to give out to loan customers.

He started a weekly "huddle" to be conducted by a different employee every week. I'm ok with this. Anything to help improve communication would be great. I just hope they're shorter than this week's half hour meeting. At this meeting, he talked about how much income our branch was making, something previous managers have never done.

He hasn't said much about Goodhair, but I got the impression he was disappointed when we told him Goodhair's only here for 2 days a week, and then not even the whole day.

He seems competent and capable. I just hope it isn't too good to be true.
                      -Mira Furlan

Comment

Sounds promising so far. We're in your corner, Ghel.
                        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                        X