This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self-Checkout rant

As usual someone made the ‘I don’t support self-checkout because it takes away from your jobs’ comment. Which normally I couldn’t care less about. But this lady would not get out of my face about how I must be an idiot for allowing them to replace me with self-checks (like I could stop them if I wanted to, and who’s going to pay my pay check?) and blah blah blah.

So I pointed out that it actually helps with staffing as we are continually short-staffed due to nobody wanting to be a career cashier. Which is normally enough to shut them up.

Nope.

She just launched into her ‘you lazy millennials’ speech.

So I point out that injuries caused by sports such as a broken arm would mean the loss of their job otherwise and good luck getting a new one with a busted body bit.

Well maybe if teenagers knew what they were doing then there wouldn’t be so many sports injuries. (Telling that to a horseback rider who is at least half-reliant on her horse not spooking at his shadow or not tripping and doing a cartwheel with me on him... yeah my safety is entirely dependent on my ability and knowledge... which is why Ian Miller took a fall at the royal winter fair despite being a many times Olympic athlete? Because everything is under the participants control in every sport ever.)

So I tried another tactic.

Self-checkouts allow for diversity amongst those we can hire. Wheelchair? Epilepsy? Assisted-Living Dog? Without self-checkouts you can’t work till here. And all the other depts are either Fresh depts (with raw food and often cutting tools) which means you can’t work there. You can’t work in stock or produce either as there’s just to much going to and fro to accommodate someone in a wheelchair, with a dog, and epilepsy plus stacked coolers and tight spaces with laser scanners that pulse because they’re broken pieces of shit? Sounds like a liability or a lawsuit.

Her response? To quote, “cripples don’t need jobs because they just live if the tax payers.”

I didn’t have a comeback for that and passed it off to the WIC as she still wouldn’t get out of my face and I had customers to deal with.

Self-Check is a GOOD thing in moderation. I sure as hell wouldn’t want the entire store to be outfitted that way.
    Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

I applaud your logic but you realize you were trying to convince someone that the sky is blue? I've had so many of these customers that by now I have the nod and mhmm down to an art form.
    Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post

Her response? To quote, “cripples don’t need jobs because they just live if the tax payers.”
      What a mother

There is so much I want to say there, but I won't. I think that *points above* sums it up perfectly.

Comment

Good or bad, I'm in the I don't work here camp.
        AkaiKitsune
        Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth TheWolfEmperor View Post
          I applaud your logic but you realize you were trying to convince someone that the sky is blue?
          Yeah, she didn't want to hear reason, she just wanted to bitch. People like that, you just have to ignore their ranting.

And her response of
          “cripples don’t need jobs because they just live if the tax payers.”
          made me want to reach through the screen and I hate bigots.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

She seems nice.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              She seems nice.
              Especially when she's leaving. She really brightens up the room.

Comment

"Bless her heart...."
                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I hear variations on how self-check lanes "steal jobs" from employees, and I always laugh. Same thing with "Marty", the robot who patrols the aisles looking for spills.

Comment

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post

I wonder if being deaf in one ear would be considered too crippled to have a job. *shrugs*

Honestly I like self checkout, because 9 out of 10 times there's almost no one using it so I don't have to wait a half hour to get to the front of the line.
                    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

I never understand this kind of ranting at the employee level. WE DO NOT MAKE DECISIONS! Call corporate. Boycott the store. Start a group so that corporate may pay attention. Oh no, that requires effort, she just wants to do her "good deed for the day" and tell everyone how these things cost jobs.
                      D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
                      Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

You're the one they can see, so they'll take their rage out wherever it is most convenient. Calling corporate would require effort and thinking, as where melting like a volcano immediately is easy to do.

Though I'm afraid I do not share the optimistic view of self-checkouts that I seem to be reading. Jobs are for people, not machines.
                        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post

Honestly I like self checkout, because 9 out of 10 times there's almost no one using it so I don't have to wait a half hour to get to the front of the line.
                          If I have several items to purchase and/or am not in a big hurry I'll go to a manned register. If I only have one or two things and want to get out quickly I'll use self-checkout.

Sometimes it's worth it to get on with life and not be stuck waiting behind Karen challenging the prices on everything in her cart and demanding the cashier accept her 12 expired coupons while her 4 kids orbit her in a frenzy of checklane-wrecking destruction.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Or, another tactic to use here with these rock-chewers is to simply ask if they would like to speak to a manager and then call one on your radio to come over for a customer assist.

While waiting for the manager to come to deal with the situation (ie, earn their paycheck) you can simply do the "Nod and smile" with an occasional "Bless your heart" thrown in for good measure.

May work, may not but at least they can't accuse you of not caring . . . .
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

The alternative that I plan to try when I win the lottery is to ignore them totally until they really crank up the siren, and then turn my nicest smile on them and say, "Oh, I'm sorry, did you say something?"
                              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                              X