This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In future, GTFO your phone

My store was a madhouse yesterday. Even my aisle, the express aisle, was nonstop.

So here comes a woman with her purchases ... and she's yakking on her phone.

I start ringing items through. Can't ask her if she wants bags because ... yakking on her phone.

So I start bagging.

I finish and look at her. I have said literally not a word to her during this transaction. She pays.

I give her her change. She has finally gotten off her phone.

SC: "Oh wait, I forgot to give you my points card!"

Me: "I'm sorry, I can't do anything about it once you've paid."

She looked sour but didn't say anything, picked up her stuff and left.

I've had people come through my lines on their phones but they do make an effort to divide their attention between me and their phone and that's cool. But people like this, who focus solely on their phones ... well, TFB for you.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

I have this happen on the opposite end, meaning the customer is on the phone with me while conducting a transaction somewhere else. Pisses me off. They aren't listening to me, and they aren't paying attention to their transaction, do ONE AT A TIME PEOPLE!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

They've bought into the whole "multitasking" bullshit ....
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

There is a Pearls Before Swine comic I very much want to find. It is one of the few comics I would pay for a print of.
        Rat is at work (at Starbucks?) and a customer comes up on his phone. Rat takes out his phone and calls someone.
        "Oh not much, just waiting for some guy to finish his phone call"
        (next panel)
        "And now he's looking at me like I'm seriously going to take his order after that."

I want to frame it and put it by my register.

Comment

This one?
          I wonder if management will allow it...

Comment

I asked my manager the other day if I could not help someone because they were on their phone and she said no. Even though I mention that a good portion of the time I'm standing at the counter like a damn fool for several minutes before the customer realizes I'm there, so in the end I'll continue to stand there and not do my job while someone yaks on their phone.
            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Fool

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
              I asked my manager the other day if I could not help someone because they were on their phone and she said no. Even though I mention that a good portion of the time I'm standing at the counter like a damn fool for several minutes before the customer realizes I'm there, so in the end I'll continue to stand there and not do my job while someone yaks on their phone.
              Your manager is a fool. As I have posted before, bad customers cost time and money. When the place I worked at laid down the law and got rid of the worse customers our profit WENT UP!

Comment

Heh, they do that to me, I just interrupt them... Or intentionally sell them the wrong part (work at the green autoparts store).
                Seph
                Taur10
                "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                  Your manager is a fool. As I have posted before, bad customers cost time and money. When the place I worked at laid down the law and got rid of the worse customers our profit WENT UP!
                  I know but I'll just keep standing there with customers that take ten minutes to decide on things or is on their phone until it dawns on everyone that by one or two people doing this, certain things either won't get done or someone else has to do it.
                  Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Used to be common that patients would be yakking on their phone when I came in to the exam room. If they didn't hang up, I'd say "I'll give you some privacy" and leave, see a couple of patients, then return. Nowadays it's rare, people mostly text. But way back in the day of the first cell phones, the very first patient to come in with one was having flexible sigmoidoscopy (like colonoscopy, but much shorter scope). I had the scope up his ass and his phone rang. I said "I double dog dare you to answer that" AND HE DID!! It's been 25 years or more and I still can't believe it.
                    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
                    TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                      They've bought into the whole "multitasking" bullshit ....
                      Oh they can multitask alright. They can talk on their phone and piss two people off at the same time. If that isn’t multitasking then I don’t know what it is...
                      Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
                        This one?
                        I wonder if management will allow it...
                        Thank you SO much.

My google-fu had failed me in this instance. (and my memory was a bit off, it seems.)

Comment

I ended up behind one of these charmers in a line in a bank. I didn't want to eavesdrop (not that she was saying anything notable) so I was reading signs in the grocery store attached to the bank when she snapped, "Do you mind? I'm on the phone!" When she got up to the bank teller he told her he couldn't do her transaction unless she hung up the phone, and pointed to a large sign behind him. The bank manager backed him up, so with a put-upon huff (you know the type) she hung up, did her transaction, then immediately called the person back. I was at a different teller, and overheard, "The people in this bank are so rude..." before she passed out of earshot, so I caught the other teller's attention and gave him a thumb's up.

Comment

"You may be on the phone but you're also standing in the middle of a public place."

I remember hearing about one incident (not on this site) of a woman who was yakking loudly on her phone on a crowded train. She was a regular and regularly did this. The passenger in front of her turned around on their seat and stared at her.

"Do you mind? This is private!" the woman snapped.

"No, lady, it's not. They can hear you to the end of the car," was the retort. The woman hung up sourly and that was the end of it -- at least for that particular trip.
                            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth SpyOne View Post
                              There is a Pearls Before Swine comic I very much want to find. It is one of the few comics I would pay for a print of.
                              Rat is at work (at Starbucks?) and a customer comes up on his phone. Rat takes out his phone and calls someone.
                              "Oh not much, just waiting for some guy to finish his phone call"
                              (next panel)
                              "And now he's looking at me like I'm seriously going to take his order after that."
                              There's a classic Dear Abby or Ann Landers column where someone wrote about a cure for a loud cell phone user. A woman always took the same bus and always made very loud phone calls. One day the guy in the seat in front of her turned around and just stared at her.
                              Annoyed, she yelled "Do you mind??!! This is a private conversation!"
                              "Private? Lady, they can hear you in New Jersey."
                              She got off the phone in a hurry.

[And then, no doubt, everyone clapped and the bus driver got a promotion, but the letter writer forgot to include that part..]

Comment

Working...
                              X