The Random Pet Peeve Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Random Pet Peeve Thread

I'm living with people after almost 15 years not so yeah, stuff comes up. I figure we all need a mini-vent sometimes and this is the place for everyday annoyances.

Mine tonight: when people use hand towels/dish towels for cleaning. We have approximately 5,168,254,597,975 cleaning rags in the house. Don't use my nice towels to wipe gunk off the back of the sink or soak up water from the toilet. I know they can be washed but it bugs me.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

People who lick their fingers while counting money or turning a page. Even before the pandemic, it just made my skin crawl a little when someone hands me something that they just put a little saliva on...

But it really pisses me off IF IT'S MY BOOK!!! I paid good money and I want to keep my stuff in good condition, I don't want your spit on it thank you very much!
    "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

We live in an age where we are encouraged to do everything online... so why when I apply for a job does it require proof of address in the form of paper bills only?
      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
        People who lick their fingers while counting money or turning a page. Even before the pandemic, it just made my skin crawl a little when someone hands me something that they just put a little saliva on...

But it really pisses me off IF IT'S MY BOOK!!! I paid good money and I want to keep my stuff in good condition, I don't want your spit on it thank you very much!
        That reminds of the novel and movie The Name Of The Rose.

Highlight spoiler.

William deduces that Jorge - unable to destroy this last copy of the book - laced the pages with arsenic, assuming correctly that a reader would have to lick his fingers to turn them.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Pet peeve of the moment: Organizations that don't respond to your attempts to contact them.

I have two high school yearbooks that are in my "Get rid of" file. I haven't been in contact with anybody from my high school since, well, graduation day.

I found my high school's alumni group on Book of Faces. Sent them a PM.

No response.

I posted a question on their actual FB page.

It appears to have been deleted.

I have now sent them an email, as well as a message via the "Contact Us" link on their actual web page. The email was definitely testy, including as it did the phrase "If nobody wants these yearbooks, can somebody please just say so."

I suppose the next attempt is an actual phone call (they do have a phone number listed), and I might try that as the LAST attempt.

Those yearbooks are edging steadily towards the recycling bin. What is WRONG with these groups, that they can't even answer simple messages?
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
            What's worse is not washing your hands after the bathroom. I live with someone who doesn't. I just sanitize the light switch and door handle. Don't know what else to do.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
              I just sanitize the light switch and door handle. Don't know what else to do.
              Get skin-safe spray-on sanitizer. Every time you see this person leave the bathroom, spray their hands.
              Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
              OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
              she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
              Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                Pet peeve of the moment: Organizations that don't respond to your attempts to contact them.
                You just described the whole reason my job exists.

Comment

Log-standing Pet Peeve:

Under-lid seals on liquid filled bottles.
                  A few are OK, but most are made of the shoddiest cardboard and adhesive possible as if they were single-use devices. You want more than one dose of cough syrup, flavoring, automotive fluid or whatever?
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

When you're trying to read an article for the first time in months (I don't read a lot outside of work) and it's something that takes some concentration, such as science, and someone interrupts you with a trivial matter. You answer their request or question and go back to reading and they don't get the hint that you don't want to discuss it right now so they ask more questions. Yes, I had a tone of annoyance. I feel bad because I don't want to respond to people that way. I guess I have to hide somewhere if I want to read.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                      When you're trying to read an article for the first time in months (I don't read a lot outside of work) and it's something that takes some concentration, such as science, and someone interrupts you with a trivial matter. You answer their request or question and go back to reading and they don't get the hint that you don't want to discuss it right now so they ask more questions. Yes, I had a tone of annoyance. I feel bad because I don't want to respond to people that way. I guess I have to hide somewhere if I want to read.
                      Or, just tell them politely "I'm trying to read this article, so I don't want to chat right this minute. If it's something important, we can take care of it, but can you wait for me to finish this before talking about <thing they wanna chat about>? Thank you, I appreciate your patience."
                      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

When people are lazy and don't call things by the right names. Like with Facebook, people call everything on there a page. Not everything is a page. There are profiles, pages, and groups. Call it by the proper name, they are all different.

And don't even get me started on this stupid trend of abbreviations going around. "tryna"...really? really? That's not even a word.
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

My mom has developed some strange kitchen hangups.

Any food brought into the house apparently must be used or eaten immediately, and almost anything I buy is subjected to a near-interrogation of what exactly I plan to use it for. Refrigeration guidelines on some items are ignored...and when they spoil I get the lecture when it has to be thrown out.

She also tends to combine containers of things...while that's fine for ketchup or peanut butter, not so much for cannabis tinctures (they are separated and labeled for a reason)...so rather than 3 discrete small bottles used for microdosing depending on the intended effects, I now have one large bottle of unknown potency. My challenge to her to take a dropper of the mystery mix so she can prove that I'm being 'silly' as she claims has yet to be accepted.
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                            Not everything is a page. There are profiles, pages, and groups. Call it by the proper name, they are all different.
                            That annoys me, too. It's right up there with people referring to their page getting cloned as "my account was hacked." While I have seen the latter happen (use better passwords, FFS, people!!!), nearly every such instance I've seen has been the former. The worst part is that even having the actual account holder report the clone account to FB doesn't always work; in at least one case with a friend I know, FB rejected the report.

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                            Refrigeration guidelines on some items are ignored...and when they spoil I get the lecture when it has to be thrown out.
                            Somehow, I knew that last bit was coming >_>
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                              My mom has developed some strange kitchen hangups.

Any food brought into the house apparently must be used or eaten immediately, and almost anything I buy is subjected to a near-interrogation of what exactly I plan to use it for. Refrigeration guidelines on some items are ignored...and when they spoil I get the lecture when it has to be thrown out.

She also tends to combine containers of things...while that's fine for ketchup or peanut butter, not so much for cannabis tinctures (they are separated and labeled for a reason)...so rather than 3 discrete small bottles used for microdosing depending on the intended effects, I now have one large bottle of unknown potency. My challenge to her to take a dropper of the mystery mix so she can prove that I'm being 'silly' as she claims has yet to be accepted.
                              I'm your mom, except for the combining stuff. I do move leftovers to smaller containers. Our kitchen is where leftovers go to die and not be eaten and that's why I like to buy less food and eat it as fast as possible. My mom wastes so much food. I'm sure you don't; I guess your mom's motivation is different than mine but same result.

Comment

Working...
                              X