Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attn: anyone who knows about schools, preferrably U.S.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attn: anyone who knows about schools, preferrably U.S.

Okay, this question is for anyone that either works in a school doing registration or has signed a kid up for school.

When you sign a kid up for school, do you have to show proof of address? If so, how much proof is required? The reason I ask is because my fiance was adopted by a single father who is just a horrible person. In a nutshell, he adopted six children just so he could collect state assistance (they pay for his house and a certain allowance for each kid) and steal their identities (they all have tons of stuff on their credit reports because of there dad - cell phone bills, vet bills, electric, cable, etc. ) A police report has been filed from 2 of his 6 kids and he has stopped using my fiance's information, but continues to use our address as if it is his own. We pretty much have the situation under control, but I am curious about the school thing because some of the younger children are going to the high school that is in bounds for our address, but not in bounds for the address that they actually live in. So we think he might have used our address to register those kids for school. Is this actually possible and if so, can we get in any trouble for it and is there anything to stop it? Also, would we likely know (get stuff in the mail, etc)?

Thanks everyone!

I'm in Canada.

Here, you have to live in the area associated with the school in order for the child to attend that school. Some schools or school board might make an exception for a child depending on the situation, but generally, you have to live there.

Now, schools don't really check to make sure the address is the correct one. I'm saying this loosely since a ton of kids = a lot of checking = school is lazy and/or can't be bothered. Most do a sample testing and that's it. It's hard to check every kid.

If a parent is caught cheating the system, the school or school board can take action against that parent (sometimes financially, but almost always kicking the kid out). I've heard cases about the parent(s) getting jail time, too (not long and usually as a result of refusing to pay fees). I do believe the people allowing the use of address can get in trouble, too.

However, you did not give consent so, personally, you can't be held accountable. Especially considering all the proof you have against him in terms of fraud.

If you believe he's using your address then by all means inquire about it. The only way to stop it is for you to actually do something and ask. You might get items in the mail, but I can't even remember the last time I got anything school related in the mail so I wouldn't count on that.

Comment

I have heard of a couple of different districts that have started prosecuting when they find people have done this. I think it really depends on which the district and their policies.

I would call the district and find out of your address is being used. Let them know of your suspicions and make it clear that you are just checking for *your* address. Due to privacy and such, you may have to make a trip to their office with proof of your address.

Comment

I've never registered a kid before, but I don't recall my mom ever having to show proof of residency. She may have had to show a bill (like at the library) if anything. However, if the schools get a hint that something's off with residency, they do investigate and start demanding proof. That's because it's a money issue now (number of children in school=more money). But they get dinged if they have people in schools that aren't supposed to be. Plus going to school out of district takes special permission and payment of money. So I'd go talk to the school.
        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Texas here - You have to show utility bill of some kind with your name on it, we also have a form they can fill out for example if you move in with your parents after a divorce so you don't have utilities with your name on them.

Yes people have been prosecuted for using false addresses especially if you are crossing district lines (you aren't paying Taxes so it is theft).

You can send a letter to the school informing them you think your address might be being used to fraudulently enroll children. Calling them up and asking if your address is being used will not work - telling you that would be a violation of federal privacy laws.

Comment

The only ones who can get in trouble for this kind of thing is the person/people doing the registering. Someone else using their address without your knowledge or consent? You can't get busted for that. Hell, even if they have your knowledge or consent, I don't think you can get busted for it. The fraud is on the hands of the person committing the fraud.

That being said, if the school the children are being enrolled in is a better one than the one in their actual district, and the parents aren't doing anything to actually harm you, what's the problem? Let the kids go to the better school. Lord knows they have enough crap to deal with at home with those fuckwads. Why make it worse on them because their parents are sucktastic?

Not everything always needs to be reported. Especially if reporting it harms those who don't need harming.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

In Kansas, you do have to have proof of address, and I know that in Oregon and Pennsylvania you have to have it as well (all three are states in which I registered kids)

However, they often do not check and just assume that you are living there.
              Remember, stressed spelled backwards is desserts.

Comment

You generally have to register your kid in the district where you live, but the schools only get fussy about it if you cross county lines (since schools are paid for on the county level) or if the kid signs up for sports (to prevent coaches from recruiting the best players).

You can't get dinged if someone uses your address without your knowledge or consent. But it is curious as to why the fiance's father would do this . . . unless the kid is involved in sports and wanted to go to a specific school to play under a specific coach.

(I think of this because my county just had a major scandal over this very thing).
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

It completely depends on where you live as to how much of a stickler they are for that. Where I live, you have to have 3 proofs of residency, usually your DL and two utility bills or one utility bill and a copy of your mortgage or rental agreement. They won't let your kid go to class until all the registration stuff, incl proof of residency are accurately filed.
                  Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

As others have said, it depends on your school district/area. I'm in CT currently, with a ton of schools in the city all part of the same two school districts. This district strictly checks residency (utility bill in your name as the only accepted proof, to prove you're actually paying utilities at the place you claim to be living), and will not let kids voluntarily go to a school they're not zoned for. It might shunt them to a different school if their zoned school fills up too fast, which is very common for my daughter's school as it's the one most of the Yale students' kids go to and therefore has really good test scores and the like. So some kids end up getting sent to a different, nearby school instead, but their parents can't voluntarily send them to a different school without going through the magnet school lottery. Some people from outside the "good" school's zone still manage to cheat the system and get their kids in, but it's few and far between and quickly dealt with if pointed out to the school district.

On the other hand, my friend in Utah didn't have to provide proof of residency for her children, and was even able to send them to a school they weren't zoned for on the condition that she pay tuition for them (if they were in that school's zone, it would've been free, being a public school). I also don't remember my parents having to show proof of residency for my school, but then I grew up in middle-of-nowhere farming country in NY where there was only one school in the school district, period. Going to a different school there meant going a few townships out of the way, and the bus ride to school was already almost an hour long (what with picking up all the other kids out in the country too).

If you think it's an issue, ask the school board about it. I'll second Jester, though. If the school they're in is better, I'd let them keep going were I in your shoes (unless it somehow poses a problem to you to have them using your address to do it).
                    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Thank you everyone for the information. To answer some of the questions:
                      1. I'm 100% sure the school these kids are going to isn't in the zone for where they live and the only way I can think that they accomplished this is by using our address.
                      2. As for why he would do this.. your guess is as good as mine. I think maybe the school we're in zone for is better - it's brand new, but that doesn't really say much. The school they are in zone for isn't bad though. I went there 6 years ago, before this school was built.
                      3. I don't really care and don't have any time to pursue it if it doesn't hurt us in any way. So long as I can't get in any trouble for any fines they rack up or in any criminal trouble for the fraudulent use of address I don't care. Furthermore, if I would get in trouble, I probably still wouldn't say anything until something bad happened. Having the police report has been very very very very helpful.

From what it sounds like based on everyone's replies is that while it varies greatly it is absolutely possible that he used our address for this and probably very likely, but no harm should come of it. I feel much better. Thank you guys.

Comment

Working...
                      X