Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The painting is actually one of the big things that drew me in towards it. One of my friends has been in the Golden Demon contests a few times...his models are just freaking GORGEOUS.

Small thing I wanted to ask though. I'd always heard that for priming them, to just pretty much put them on a box, and hit them with black spray paint...just cover them with a base primer that way. Is there a difference with that, rather than white?
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
      Small thing I wanted to ask though. I'd always heard that for priming them, to just pretty much put them on a box, and hit them with black spray paint...just cover them with a base primer that way. Is there a difference with that, rather than white?
      that is pretty much what I do. I go outside on the lawn (I am not a clean painter) and lay out my table and spray away. I will then put my gloves on and make sure I get the undersides.

the base coats will give you different effects. I like using black for the effect I am going for. I would play with both. Also from what I have seen thin coats of paint are better. You can always add paint but not take away.
      Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

With white primer, your final colour is more likely to be the tint that the colour pots dry at on white paper.

With black primer, you'll get a darker final result.

It's also possible to use blue, red, green, yellow, orange .... and it all produces different final results.

I recommend white for a novice because a novice is more likely to have bought paints wanting the exact shade they bought to be the shade that shows up. I mentioned the possibility of mixing other colours into the primer to encourage experimentation as your skills develop.

At any rate: experiment with colours and techniques. You can use any technique from generic painting, too - don't limit yourself to 'model painting' websites or books. And you can always invent techniques. Or re-invent them.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with spray paint priming. I do this myself. I also got into airbushing recently. This... is expensive. But my Khador jacks look such a lovely red

The colour to do it with depends on your paint scheme. Dark colours, use black/dark grey. Light colours (or if your going to use multiple washes to colour your army) use white. (Seshat beat me to this bit :P)

One light coat (from a distance, don't hold the can close), let it dry, second coat same as the first. Like Elspeth said, you want light fine coating to keep as much detail as possible. You may need to touch up difficult spaces by hand. (i.e. groin, armpit)

My painting method is - Tack my pinned model together, base coat, diss-assemble model and paint components, reattach parts and delicately glue.

Glue wise, I use Super glue or CA Glue. This holds nicely (especially on Plastic to metal joins), breaks cleanly if I don't like something/need to repair. BUT - if you use excess it will leave a white residue/set as a lump.
          You can use plastic glue (made specifically for plastic hobby kits) - This will only bond plastic to plastic. But it does so by essentially welding the parts together. it actually melts the plastic, so don't drop it where it isn't needed - How ever this means once its glued, its glued.

Pinning/Pinned - Basically drilling a small (1mm/2mm) hole in each part, say shoulder and arm) and glueing a metal rod (paper clip cut short, brass rod) into one part. Makes a really strong join, and I'd use it on the Wraith Lords if I were you (at least). I pin the majority of my marines too, but I'm crazy like that.

Washes. Basically this is very thin watered down paint. You base coat in say White, let it dry, then brush over the coloured washed. They tint the white, more layers, more tinting. You can do an entire model this way. Takes a VERY long time, but shows recesses/highlights nicely. Depends what style of painting you like to do. Please note, this is a very BASIC description of wash painting.

And yes, thats a Wraith Lord. Walker vehicle. Equivalent of a Space Marine dreadnought. Agile, accurate, fast, but trades that for less survivability. Do you think you'll follow "Fluff" (40K background) and choose an Eldar craftworld, or make up your own thing?
          "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
          Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

I have no idea what I'm gonna do for the background, I'm still kinda wtf'ing over the space marines lore. (Seriously?! DEAD GUY?! WTF?!?!?!?!)

Since I'm going to use my ork army as a learning tool, I figured I'd try for the black base, since I really want it all to look dark and...well...orky

I went on ahead and spent about three painstaking hours just assembling half of them, filing down, cutting them out, trimming, etc etc, like y'all advised. I may or may not have fingerprints anymore, not sure due to how many times I glued my pads together. -.-

But, I'm rather excited, and I know this is just the starter, but I finished part of the Worthless Peons tonight. ^^

Tomorrow, going to finish putting the others together, and start painting these guys....test out some of the tips y'all have given me. I really, really appreciate it. =D

Comment

That looks like a nice base coat Did you buy lots of green paint? :P I'll try get a pic up of the one ork I've painted. The models look nice and clean. Depending on your tools/prefrences, I'd reccommend drilling a bore in the gun barrles, or painting a black dot. Tis your choice

Orks beleive Red ones (cough) Red onez goes fasta boyz
              And that they never reteat, just regroup so they can come back for another fight.

I lol'ed at your comment about the glue, reminds me of an IM i sent a friend once.

*Growls at stupid glue*
              *Growls at model piece stuck to finger*
              Ow. Problem solved.

If you have questions about Lore lemme know by PM and I'll tell ya what I can
              Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Oh I totally bought a huge thing of "sour apple green" acrylic paint. I figure I can use the crafty brand for now, and when finances stabilize a bit better, invest in some of the GW paint or the like.

I actually was thinking about doing that with the guns. I tried it cutting out a little bit with the exacto knife, panicked, and then just went back to smoothing everything out. I may have to go through hubby's tools and see if his drill has a tiny bit I could use.

...On the bright side of things, I think after I learn figure painting from this, I may tackle finally painting the Gundam model kits I've had forever.

Comment

Primer coat looks good to me. Once you get a base coat on them, let's see a picture.

As for fingerprints, they're expendable.

(and Seshat, after the excellent advice post you gave, I'd be interested in seeing some of your work, too. Maybe we should start up a minis pic thread...)
                  "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                    Oh I totally bought a huge thing of "sour apple green" acrylic paint. I figure I can use the crafty brand for now, and when finances stabilize a bit better, invest in some of the GW paint or the like.
                    If I might suggest, you can also look at other miniature companies for cheaper, but still good, paint. I can highly recommend dealing with Reaper, as they have treated me incredibly well in the past, and their people are some of the nicest folks I've dealt with over the phone when there was an issue with an order I placed. They also run specials on their paints, or sell them in paint packs on special at the conventions, just keep an eye on their webpage.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                      If I might suggest, you can also look at other miniature companies for cheaper, but still good, paint. I can highly recommend dealing with Reaper, as they have treated me incredibly well in the past, and their people are some of the nicest folks I've dealt with over the phone when there was an issue with an order I placed. They also run specials on their paints, or sell them in paint packs on special at the conventions, just keep an eye on their webpage.
                      I'll second this. I've used both Reaper Pro Paints and Reaper Master Series, and while the Pro Paints are very good, I pretty much buy nothing but Master Series at this point. The staff at Reaper have been fantastic when I've dealt with them at cons.

At one Origins, I spoke with Anne Forrester at length about why I should buy the Master Series paints instead of another brand. Since she was the person that came up with the formulations for them, she was able to give me solid information as to what made them different. Master Series paints have flow improver built in, so no need for "Magic Wash" or other after-market products to reduce surface tension. The pigment grind is finer, so you can thin the paints further and still get a good color depth. In addition, the adhesion is better than other brands, so you have less paint flaking off the mini.
                      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Heh I still haven't gotten aroud to painting the Gundam's I've got (I have a few >.<)
                        I haven;t had much experience with other brands yet, I mainly buy the generic artists acrylics. Privateer Press also do paint ranges (P3 brand) - They have packs of 3 "Shadow/Base/Highlight" colours but I haven't used them yet.

Drlling wise, see if he has a Pinvise. Its a hand drill for relatively small bits. Use that rather than digging with the knife. I even drill the flash supressors on the sides out (The two holes on the left and right of the barrell)

Comment

Quoth ApolloSZ View Post
                          Heh I still haven't gotten aroud to painting the Gundam's I've got (I have a few >.<)
                          I haven;t had much experience with other brands yet, I mainly buy the generic artists acrylics. Privateer Press also do paint ranges (P3 brand) - They have packs of 3 "Shadow/Base/Highlight" colours but I haven't used them yet.
                          Neither have I, but I keep hearing good things about the P3 paints. The Master Series paints are marketed the same way; Base, shade, and highlight.

Comment

One of my friends on FB just recommended some of the Reaper paints as well....definitely will have to look into those. Husband is leaning more towards the GW paints though, as our friend's store carries those, and we do want to support our local gaming store, lol.

And, no luck on Pinvise, but we'll see what we can come up with ^^

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                              (and Seshat, after the excellent advice post you gave, I'd be interested in seeing some of your work, too. Maybe we should start up a minis pic thread...)
                              I haven't painted miniatures in forever. As Seraph pointed out, it's an expensive hobby - and I'm on disability.

However, I can always dig out my old miniatures and get A to photograph them.
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                                I haven't painted miniatures in forever. As Seraph pointed out, it's an expensive hobby - and I'm on disability.

However, I can always dig out my old miniatures and get A to photograph them.
                                No problem. The only shots I have of any of my minis are the ones I did about 25 years ago. Haven't gotten around to photographing anything new. Ok... Haven't gotten around to FINISHING anything new.

Quoth Seraph View Post
                                One of my friends on FB just recommended some of the Reaper paints as well....definitely will have to look into those. Husband is leaning more towards the GW paints though, as our friend's store carries those, and we do want to support our local gaming store, lol.

And, no luck on Pinvise, but we'll see what we can come up with ^^
                                Check with the FLGS and see if they can get them in. Most gaming stores I've been to, especially ones that have a large selection of minis will usually custom order things. Now, if they're a GW exclusive dealer, then I could see them not wanting to get Reaper paints.

Comment

Working...
                                X