This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've Been Temporarily Stabled.

So, today being Wednesday, it was my magic day, when I get paid to entertain people at two venues, the toy store during the day, and the chain restaurant at night.

Well, while working tonight at the restaurant, the shift manager told me that the GM had instructed him to tell me to take the next few weeks off, due to slow business, until late December, the 22nd to be precise.

That's nine weeks off. Nine weeks without the only guaranteed solid money I have each week. Nine weeks where there will be no magic at the chain restaurant, after over two solid years of there being a magician there, myself or a fill-in, every single Wednesday (since July of '09). Nine weeks of various customers, many of them children, coming to the restaurant specifically to see the magician, and being disappointed.

Yes, I understand the business decision. I am not completely clueless or egotistical. But I remember back to September of '04, when another GM suggested a similar hiatus, "until we get busy again." Of course, what I didn't know at the time was that that GM would never bring me back, and I never DID do another magic shift at that place until new management (several administrations before the current GM) decided to start up a Kids Night on Wednesdays, and to bring me back.

Of course, this GM is not that previous GM, who I affectionately dubbed "Cocksucker," and who, until I worked for Shit Weasel at the hotel, was the worst person I had ever worked for. (He still ranks number two.) And this GM, unlike Cocksucker, gave me a specific date to return on. Still, he didn't bother telling me himself, he seemed vaguely annoyed that I would suggest putting up a note to staff that let them know of the situation, in case any customers asked about it, which they almost certainly will. Hell, back when I went on that previous hiatus in '04, there were people asking about the magician for well over a YEAR after my last magic shift there.

But whatever. I am going to get that note typed up and posted, including my number for staff to give to any customers who may ask for it, as I do book a lot of private shows through the restaurant. And hopefully, this really won't be a repeat of '04.

This also gives me a chance to either pick up more bar shifts at The Bar, or have some more time off to enjoy myself, or perhaps even work on some new tricks, something I have been woefully lackadaisical about. And interestingly, while I was a bit hurt, I was not nearly as devastated as I was back in '04, even before I found out that I would not be returning. I took it in stride, am okay with it, and realize now more than I did seven years ago that, even if this door does close, others will open.

They always do.

So, into hiatus I go. Someone kick the magician awake shortly before Christmas. Thanks.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Well bummer.

I vote for learning more tricks, and maybe some recreational microbrew investigation.
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

And developing new chili recipes.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
        I vote for learning more tricks, and maybe some recreational microbrew investigation.
        As opposed to my normal recreational microbrew investigation?

Quoth Food Lady View Post
        And developing new chili recipes.
        An added bummer is that just tonight I found out that Saturday there is a chili cookoff. Due to the fact that I JUST found out about it, I work tomorrow till about 7:30, and I have a gig doing magic for a private party on Saturday shortly before the cookoff, it seems extraordinarily unlikely that I'll be able to participate.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          As opposed to my normal recreational microbrew investigation?

Picky picky picky ...
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
          X