Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jester is right, though, when you have some way to keep them, or can make just enough--dressings are VERY simple. Any vinaigrette can be made thusly--add equal amounts one fat and one acid, and a little salt and pepper. Whisk together until creamy. Voila! In Jester's example, the lime juice is the acid and the olive oil is the fat, but any fat and any acid will work. Be creative!

Comment

ehm, just wanted to add that i have this problem as well - storage is great, i'm just not particularly imaginative when it comes to the kitchen so i wander off and stick to simple prepackaged foods. the dressing idea is lovely though, just tried it out with tsp worth of apple cider vinegar (bought for hair reasons :x) and extra virgin olive oil (... again, hair). i can see more fresh green leafy things in my future!

i tend to eat a mix of cheap noodles, handfuls of mixed veggies, and chopped canned sausages more often than i'd care to admit. my veggies are of the frozen kind, but i imagine you can sub with the single serving microwaved baggies kind?

oh oh oh! cauliflower and cheese? i love cauliflower and cheese .. i just keep forgetting that i can make it. you can buy single large florets from your supermarket, and add that to a plate of whatever else. i tend to like draping slices of processed cheese on my noodles, i imagine it can work here too in the absence of milk/cheese blocks to make a cheese sauce. oh! though they probably have boxes of cheese powder for that. i don't know how healthy *that* aspect is, but you've got the cauliflower working for you? and in the absence of cauliflower, broccoli could be nice.

[edited to add] oh and before i forget - don't boil veggies in water, that takes out most of the nutrition and the flavour. steam them when you can, and i've read oven cooking them is even better flavour wise. only thing i've taken away from the veganomicon is the boiling thing .. need to finish that book someday.
      Last edited by tofu; 07-12-2012, 10:22 AM. Reason: boiling/steaming/oven veggies

Comment

Yeah, the dressing idea has endless variations. Want it more savory? Use something a little more exotic for the acid, like garlic flavored red wine vinegar or a nice balsamic. More Asian? Add some ginger, garlic, and soy. Fish sauce in very limited quantities will give a dressing a nice, earthy flavor reminiscent of mushroom. Want it more spicy? Add a little Sriracha sweet chili sauce or some dried red pepper flakes like you put on pizza. Try adding your favorite dried or fresh minced herbs, as well.

Comment

Working...
        X