This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To the Brits and Anglophiles out there:

I am really interested in British History, particularly of the Monarchy from the Norman Conquest to present (or at least George VI). I would really like to find an individual documentary on each of them, but I for some of the rulers (like William Rufus), it doesn't appear that one exists.

I was wondering if the BBC (or any other corporation) produced a documentary series with episodes on each of them. The best I currently have is David Starkey's "Monarchs" series.

SC
    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Not entirely useful (well, not useful at all really) but here's the only regal history thing that pops to mind at the moment. I blame the BBC for making a good kids' history show that my daughter will happily watch with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4x0K2Y7kPw

Comment

One of my ancestors is the one that fired the arrow that went errant and struck and killed William Rufus.
      Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
        I am really interested in British History, particularly of the Monarchy from the Norman Conquest to present (or at least George VI). I would really like to find an individual documentary on each of them, but I for some of the rulers (like William Rufus), it doesn't appear that one exists.
        SC
        If you're not totally stuck on a video version, check out the notes in any of the Norton editions of the complete works of Shakespeare. The section on the British monarchy in the one I have from 1984 (god, that was a long time ago) is about 45 pages and is VERY detailed; one of the best available IMHO. Another good source is Eerdman's Handbook to the History of Christianity -- don't freak on the title, it covers a lot more than the Christian world. Both should be easily available at any public library.

Re:video version - check the catalog for the History Channel. They did some stuff on the British monarchy about 3-4 years back, but it may not be available on DVD yet (it ran on BBC3, and there's usually a 5-7 yr delay before their documentaries hit video on this side of the pond). It also only covered the big players; the lesser kings got papered over (mostly because they didn't do much other than drink and die).

Comment

Quoth dboyes View Post
          It also only covered the big players; the lesser kings got papered over (mostly because they didn't do much other than drink and die).
          This is the problem - William Rufus didn't do a lot, or at least if he did then we don't know about it. Plus TV series are made to hook people into watching them, so if everyone says "whozee?" then you're onto a loser to start with.

I'll have a poke and see if I can come up with anything, but the History Channel is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head, and you've already got David Starkey.
          I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

Working...
          X