This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Divra View Post
    Relating to the above, how to pick a cigar.
    3. Always buy Cubans, even though Cuban cigars are FAR too powerful in taste for most beginning smokers (as some of you know, I am not in the US, but live in a country where Cuban cigars are openly available).
    This. One of the other things is when 'posers' come in, brag that all they have ever smoked are Cuban, but then say they prefer mild and light.
    "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

We get rain here. Learn to drive in it. Also always have some type of sunglasses in your car. We get sun around here. Unless right after a rain storm. Also we get snow

Why yes the stupid drivers have been out in force.
      Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Quoth Draper Mel View Post
        Oh god yes!!! That one drives me up the wall!

Also, proper use of the apostrophe. Especially when people use them in regular plurals. It is NOT "Oreo Cookie's $2.99." If you're that confused, then just don't use them at all.
        YES! I especially love the ones that have several words in one sign and throw apostrophes in at random: 'Sandwiches $3.00, Taco's $3.99" WTF?

A couple other ones:

Spiders are not insects. They are arachnids.

Crows have BLACK beaks, not yellow ones! But if you look at toys or craft supplies or decorative items with crows on them, they almost always are shown with yellow beaks.
        Last edited by MoonCat; 07-04-2012, 01:51 AM.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          That there's no such word as "sherbert."

It's all I could think of right now.
          I recall (back in university) a single-panel cartoon posted outside a prof's office door. It showed a chain-link fence with a sign on it "No admittance to people who say 'nucular'".
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

- Never leave kids and pets in the car.
            - Drama is a subject, not a lifestyle.
            Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Quoth Mishi View Post
              - Never leave kids and pets in the car.
              - Drama is a subject, not a lifestyle.
              Both of those are winners!
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

A few things relating to schools:

-No, the end of the day for teachers is NOT 3pm-3:30 (depending on the school)
                -Teachers do NOT get 12 weeks of paid annual leave per year. (school holidays. And I do know this for a fact because the school I'm doing placement at has 3 weeks (don't ask) holiday. I am spending the last week in the school)
                -Despite your suggestions, yes, areas like The Arts and PE are essential subjects in the curriculum.
                -While teaching English and Maths are essential areas of the curriculum, it is UP TO THE KIDS to use them. Your children are not robots who, once able to master something, will use it in public.
                -Being smart should not be seen as being "uncool" or a "burden". Being smart should be seen as something to be respected.
                The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Elspeth View Post
                  We get rain here. Learn to drive in it. Also always have some type of sunglasses in your car. We get sun around here. Unless right after a rain storm. Also we get snow
                  This! Very much this! We too get rain here. Plus, we get snow. Either learn how to handle it, or stay the hell home. I really don't like spending 2 hours driving home after work.

While we're on the topic of driving...learn how to handle the fucking tunnels. Yes, we have lots of them. Yes it's not as bright in there. But is it really necessary to slam on the brakes and do 5mph through them? Especially the Squirrel Hill Tunnels. I'm really sure the 500 cars behind your dumb ass would enjoy not crawling through there at 5mph.
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

A college education does guarantee a six figure income with matching house and car. LEARN SOME OTHER SKILLS, TOO!!!!
                    I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

I wish people would learn that being intelligent, being smart, and being wise are three very different things that are sometimes found together, but just as often, not.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

If you're gonna make a turn at the turning lane, don't just sit there with you thumb up your ass hemming and hawing over making the turn! It's called a turning lane for a reason! Turn or go straight when the light turns green, jackass!

Driving in the rain means going about 5-10mph below the speed limit and no more than that! This isn't a funeral procession!!

The world doesn't owe you a damn thing and it sure as hell doesn't revolve around you!

The more you brag the more it makes you look like a jackass.

Manipulating, lying, browbeating and bullying aren't the best ways to get what you want.
                        Last edited by tropicsgoddess; 07-05-2012, 02:54 AM.
                        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

1) For people to realize the importance of a good domain name - especially for most businesses today.

2) For people to realize that just because it costs $15 a year for a domain it is not worth just $15.

3) For people to realize that sales @ (domain) . com is much easier to remember than bigjohnsplumbingandaccessoriessalesdepartment42 @ yahoo . com (and the first one looks more professional)

4) When you are driving your company vehicle you are representing that company. If I see you drifting from lane to lane because you are typing away on your cell phone I really have to wonder are you as careless when you do the work?
                          Quote Dalesys:
                          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

1. Patience - Why is everyone always in such a hurry?

2. How to make a left turn. - When you are in the left most lane and are making a left turn, you turn into the left most lane. If you are turning into a middle lane or the right lane, you are doing it wrong. Basically related to the pic in the first page.
                            "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
                              2. How to make a left turn. - When you are in the left most lane and are making a left turn, you turn into the left most lane. If you are turning into a middle lane or the right lane, you are doing it wrong. Basically related to the pic in the first page.
                              That is very much related to where you are. In NJ, that's true.

Here in Cali, however, with a single left turn lane, you are allowed to turn into any legally available lane, post turn.

CA DMV Handbook (with pictures!)

However, if there are guide lines laid out on the street, you're supposed to follow them, which an awful lot of people can't seem to figure out.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

-No, we do not live in igloos in Alaska
                                -No, we do not have polar bears walking through downtown (black bears however)
                                -No, I do not have a pet penguin (although that would be cool), wrong end of the Earth

-Yes, it's a dry heat but it's still frelling HOT in Nevada...I'm from Michigan (22 years) and Alaska (almost 8 years), I don't do well in the heat
                                -Yes, those are fighter jets...little thing called Top Gun

Comment

Working...
                                X